SB live pops and crackles

hi i recently upgraded to an athlon xp 1700+ and an asus a7v266-e motherboard running win xp. my problem is that when playing mp3s using sblive value, there are alot of pops and crackles. i have the latest via 4-in1 drivers and the sblive winxp drivers, also the latest bios. i also put the soundcard in its own irq, but nothing has helped yet
i know there are compatiblilty issues between via and sblive
but can anybody help me to solve it
if not i plan to upgrade to a new sound card, please suggest a soundcard that is COMPLETELY compatible with the via chipset and winXP.
thanks in advance
9 answers Last reply
More about live pops crackles
  1. Get a new sound card. My SB live have problem have pop and crakles even with BX chipset. I try many fix and not of them work.
  2. Soundcards I have tried and have had no problems with:
    Hercules Game Theater XP
    Aureal Vortex 2 (two models)

Soundcards that sucked:
    Philips Seismic Edge
    Creative Sound Blaster Live

Card I can also recommend:
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
  3. fat burger so i assume u have the via chipset based motherboard, so u had a sblive with the exact problems and it went away with the soundcards u recommended?
    im thinking towards the santa cruz, people on this forum have also said its compatible with the via chipset and they work great together.
  4. I am still giddy about my discovery last night, so I may be touting this prematurely, but check out my "SB Live! Demon VANQUISHED ! ! !" post and hit the link there (or go straight to <A HREF="http://www.geforcefaq.com" target="_new">http://www.geforcefaq.com</A>) and try one of the files listed for setting the CPU-to-PCI Bridge Latency Timer to 0. I am still not sure what this exactly does to the PC, whether there are or not any deliterious side effects (<b>FatBurger</b>, do you know of any?), but it may be worth a shot and it might save you from having to buy a new card prematurely.

There are two other clocks that are changed by the program I downloaded (for the VIA MVP3 chipset), but I will have to double-check what those are and I will post them tomorrow. That program also lets you change the clocks not only to 0, but to other values that may better suit you.

As for now, I am on my way home to blow up some baddies without any tin-ears!!!

VSP

<i> Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
    <b> nwod </b> gniog em peek reverof sthguohT </i>
  5. CPU-to-PCI Bridge Latency Timer? I'm not sure, but I'll figure it out if I think about it for long enough. If you don't notice any side effects, there most likely aren't any (or you'll notice them soon).

Yes, I have an Abit KT7a-RAID (Via KT133a chipset), and had problems with the Live. System instability, mostly. No pops or crackles, however. I tried several different fixes, to no avail.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
  6. yesterday i went out and bought an audigy, cause i couldnt find the santa cruz, so i was like what the hell, i'll give audigy a try. Then it had the same exact problem even with the newest xp drivers! so i returned it in an hour. now if i can only find a santa cruz in an actual store as compusa doesnt have them.
  7. You don't want to buy it online?

8. Just got a retail Turtle Beach Santa Cruz that i found in a local store for 70 bucks today, everything is good so far, even under heavy hardrive data transfer, there isnt a single pop or crackle. Rejoice!
  9. Good to hear :smile:

Let us know if you have any problems or questions.

Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Windows XP Components