Help & Advice with my first PC Build Please

TuffGamer

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Hey Guys

I'm new to configuring PCs and this will be my first one, hopefully lasting me for a few years!. My budget was around £1200-1300.

Would it be possible if you could just double check and review my build and make sure everything is good and will work good together. I'll be using it for general office use, occasional video editing and gaming
Just a medium/high performance computer really.

Case COOLERMASTER CM STORM ENFORCER - GAMING ENTHUSIAST CASE -This looked V Nice and is able to accommodate everything.

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache - This looked to be the fastest processor of the lot

Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX

Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT) -I've been told 16gb isnt necessary but for a few extra pounds I thought I'd go for it!

Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready - High end gfx card, best I can afford

Memory - 1st Hard Disk 120GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 500MB/sR | 450MB/sW) - SSD For My OS & other programs

2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm) - HDD

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 12x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW - Been wanting a Blu ray drive but I notice the dvd speeds are less. Will this cause any issues in reading/writing apart from it being slower. Will it prevent me from doing anything or cause any issues or should I go without

Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£69)

Processor Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler (£19)

Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy™ SE (£19) - I would like 7.1 audio but would it make much difference between 5.1 & 7.1, is it worth spending the £19?

Network Facilities WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16) - I will be using wifi & so connecting it up to my BT Home hub 2 is essential. Is this satisfactory or should I upgrade to the dual band card?

USB Options 2 PORT USB 3.0 INTERNAL PCI-EX CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS

Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND

Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED - Through my college I have downloaded win7 64 bit & burnt to a disk So i should be alright, I just hope it works! Im hoping to boot from disc if thats possible

Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE - I have an office license
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE - I have a license
Keyboard & Mouse LOGITECH® MK260 WIRELESS KEYBOARD & MOUSE COMBO (£22)
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days

Slightly Offtopic but for my monitor I was looking at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-MX239H-.../ref=de_a_smtd. I wouldnt want to spend more than £250 for a monitor but does this look alright for gaming & general media. Would this be able to work with my computer because of its inputs (VGA, HDMI).

In terms of a headset for Gaming & general music listening, Im looking at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Bla.../ref=de_a_smtd. Would you be able to say that these are good.

Thanks

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
A few things I would change are..

1. I would go with a 2 x 8 ram kit instead of 4x4
2. I would go with the CM 212 Evo cooler
3. I would not get a Blue Ray player unless you already have a lot of BR disks you like to watch on your PC. Disks are kinda on the way out.

nice build though.

I second passing on BR unless you have a clear need.

For 5.1 vs 7.1, do you have the correct number of speakers? If you're going to use a USB headset provides the processing you don't even need a soundcard.

Do you do enough video editing to justify the process difference between the 3770K and 3570K? Not going to make much difference in games (BF3 is an exception - tho more games *could* come out that use hyperthreading).

TuffGamer

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Cheers for the responses guys, have changed a few things based on whats been mentioned. Does the case support the inputs for the monitor as im not entirely sure and does it look like a good monitor, if not, what would you recommend.

Asus makes good monitors, looks fine but need someone to weight in on IPS monitors - think they have better color (colour!) but may have ghosting on games, not sure - the case doesn't have any bearing on the monitor connection - you'll plug straight into the video card.