D70 vs D50?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 15, 2005 4:35:34 PM

If I stay with Nikon (Ialready have lenses), the D50 and the D70 seem to
be the realistic choices. I have tiny hands, less vision of 20/35
(corrected).

So I want something I feel comfortable holding. And I want something
where the menus are readable.

How much would I really be losing if I went with the D50?

TIA

Louise

More about : d70 d50

July 15, 2005 7:18:41 PM

"Louise" wrote
> If I stay with Nikon (Ialready have lenses), the D50 and the D70 seem to
> be the realistic choices. I have tiny hands, less vision of 20/35
> (corrected).
>
> So I want something I feel comfortable holding. And I want something
> where the menus are readable.
>
> How much would I really be losing if I went with the D50?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method...
ikon_d50%2Cnikon_d70s&show=all

Hope this helps,
ink
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 9:40:02 PM

In article <MPG.1d4179f1e2cdb72a9898a8@news-server.nyc.rr.com>,
Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:
>If I stay with Nikon (Ialready have lenses),

I presume that this means that the lenses which you already have
are CPU equipped.

> the D50 and the D70 seem to
>be the realistic choices. I have tiny hands, less vision of 20/35
>(corrected).
>
>So I want something I feel comfortable holding. And I want something
>where the menus are readable.
>
>How much would I really be losing if I went with the D50?

Someone else already posted a pointer to the reviews of the two,
so you can compare them in detail.

I will simply say that it depends on how *technical* your
photography is. It is is not very technical, about all that you will be
missing is the brightness of the viewfinder -- and no button to turn on
a backlight on the display on the top of the camera used for quick
settings in low light conditions. There are always the menus, but they
are slower to use.

The more you leave the camera to its automatic selections, the
less important the differences between the D70s and the D50 will be.
The more you want to control what it does, the more important the extra
features of the D70s will be.

Both the D70s and the D50 have larger displays for the menus, so
that should help. And the D70 at least has a thumb slider to control
diopter correction of the viewfinder. (I presume that the D50 has this
as well, though I did not look for that when I examined one in the store
while picking up other things for my D70.)

Personally, I would go for the D70s if I were buying now (and if
I could not afford the D2X, which is what I *really* want. :-)

I have used all of the features which the D70 has and the D50
does not, so I think that for *me* the choice is clear.

Best of luck,
DoN.
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 3:44:03 AM

> Personally, I would go for the D70s if I were buying now (and if
> I could not afford the D2X, which is what I *really* want. :-)
>
> I have used all of the features which the D70 has and the D50
> does not, so I think that for *me* the choice is clear.

For me the D70 lacks two features that you may find important, mirror lockup
and wired cable release. The D70s now has the cable release and I guess the
mirror lockup is something that I could almost live without but you should
decide for yourself. That said I really like the D70.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 3:44:04 AM

In article <7TXBe.49655$oJ.40434@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
Pete D <no@email.com> wrote:

>> Personally, I would go for the D70s if I were buying now (and if
>> I could not afford the D2X, which is what I *really* want. :-)
>>
>> I have used all of the features which the D70 has and the D50
>> does not, so I think that for *me* the choice is clear.
>
>For me the D70 lacks two features that you may find important, mirror lockup
>and wired cable release. The D70s now has the cable release and I guess the
>mirror lockup is something that I could almost live without but you should
>decide for yourself. That said I really like the D70.

The wired cable release would have been nice when I was shooting
fireworks on the 4th. For most of what else I do, it does not matter.

I have no real need for the mirror lockup.

Enjoy,
DoN.

July 16, 2005 3:52:32 AM

Firing remotely is REALL what matters anyway.

On 7/15/05 11:23 PM, in article db9ukf$95d$1@Fuego.d-and-d.com, "DoN.
Nichols" <dnichols@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> The wired cable release would have been nice when I was shooting
> fireworks on the 4th. For most of what else I do, it does not matter.
July 16, 2005 5:25:12 AM

In article <7TXBe.49655$oJ.40434@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
no@email.com says...

> > Personally, I would go for the D70s if I were buying now (and if
> > I could not afford the D2X, which is what I *really* want. :-)
> >
> > I have used all of the features which the D70 has and the D50
> > does not, so I think that for *me* the choice is clear.
>
> For me the D70 lacks two features that you may find important, mirror lockup
> and wired cable release. The D70s now has the cable release and I guess the
> mirror lockup is something that I could almost live without but you should
> decide for yourself. That said I really like the D70.

Thanks to all of you for your help. Now that I know more of what I'm
looking for and at, it's time to go to stores and start holding the
cameras, looking at the settings, etc.

Louise
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 9:25:49 AM

Pete D wrote:
>>Personally, I would go for the D70s if I were buying now (and if
>>I could not afford the D2X, which is what I *really* want. :-)
>>
>>I have used all of the features which the D70 has and the D50
>>does not, so I think that for *me* the choice is clear.
>

> For me the D70 lacks two features that you may find important, mirror lockup
> and wired cable release. The D70s now has the cable release and I guess the
> mirror lockup is something that I could almost live without but you should
> decide for yourself. That said I really like the D70.

You can get the D70 retrofitted to use a Canon RS-60E3 cable release.

http://www.harbortronics.com/detail.php?id=2
http://www.harbortronics.com/D70_Mod.pdf

I think that Nikon didn't realize how useful a remote cable release is.
I'm glad that Canon has it on the 20D, though I wish Canon had also
included at least an IR remote receiver on the 20D.

Steve
http://digitalslrinfo.com
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 10:58:40 AM

> The wired cable release would have been nice when I was shooting
> fireworks on the 4th. For most of what else I do, it does not matter.
>
> I have no real need for the mirror lockup.

Until I used it on mine I felt the same way also.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 10:59:39 AM

If they had put an IR sensor on the back of the D70 as well it would have
been better.

!