Sign in with
Your question

Pc powers up for a split second, then shuts off, more info inside

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2013 5:50:16 PM

Hello,

as it says in the title, my pc was working fine until today morning, when I pressed the power button, the system powers up for a second, the fans spin, and then everything shuts off, including the LEDs and I have to switch the PSU on and off to make the one second thing happen again.

so I tried breadboarding from the beginning, and the system does the one second shut off even with just the cpu and cpu fan on the motherboard and nothing else.

so then I tried the paper clip trick to see if my PSU is faulty. turns out, it can handle the case fans fine, continuously, but the PSU fan isnt spinning. note: I noticed that the PSU fan didnt spin even during breadboarding.

my hardware:
motherboard : rampage III gene
processor : intel core i7 930 bloomfield
PSU : cooler master extreme power plus 650 ( rs 650 pcar e3)

I live in a slightly remote area and I dont have a spare PSU or a voltmeter to test things out. :( 

What do I do to confirm what the problem is?

thank you.

edit: i also noticed that when i used the paper clip trick and made the fans spin, i could hear a continuous sound from the PSU, but no sound when i tried breadboarding, as if the PSU isnt doing anything at all.

edit 2 : the sound from the PSU is a constant scratching sound, almost like electric sparks, gotta put my ear near the PSU to hear it.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2013 6:35:11 PM

what kind of sound did you hear from the psu ?
m
l
January 10, 2013 7:21:58 PM

a constant scratching sound, almost like electric sparks, gotta put my ear near the PSU to hear it.
added to first post.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2013 7:25:22 PM

then i would stop using it but if you could see some spark blue light in the dark from that psu your better get another one before it burn something on the system,you could bring it to a shop and have it test .
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 10, 2013 7:51:09 PM

Yeah Coolermaster PSU's are not the greatest, I would dump it and buy a respected brand (Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, etc...)
m
l
!