Sign in with
Your question

Suggestions for an miniITX case for a minecraft server build

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2013 6:06:42 PM

I'm putting together components for a personal home hosted minecraft server that I'm probably only going to share with a couple people. I'd host it on my own self built gaming PC but I think active use would be detrimental to the minecraft server. Based on internet searches this is what I've got so far:

Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

Intel BOXDH77DF LGA 1155 Intel H77 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 @ 10-10-10-27 1.5V

500GB Western Digital Blue 2.5" HDD 5400 RPM

The only thing at this point is finding a compact case that would sufficiently cool the CPU under load and that include a sufficient power supply. Ideally I would like to get as small as a Mac Mini. I'd most welcome passive cooling cases as long as it could cool the CPU properly. I'd like to have this thing as quiet as possible while not getting super hot. The only other application for this machine might be a MAME box if i get bored of Minecraft. I was hoping you guys could help. I'm also open to component suggestions in order to bring down the cost (those parts currently run about $400). I'm only looking to run, at most, a 5-10 person server. My bigger concern n i having power to handle massive redstone contraptions that seem to lag the server down. I'm running on an old i7 940 right now and it throws "cant keep up" errors when we use redstone. Any help at all would be much appreciated!
January 10, 2013 6:25:53 PM

Our server is an i5 3470 and a 256gb SSD with 16gb of RAM. We don't lag really at all with like 6 people on as long as there isn't a ton of TNT going off or too many chickens in one place.

You should be fine as long as you don't have like a ton of animals or mad redstone or set off a bunch of tnt.

Make sure your internet connection is stable and FAST. Its a big factor.

Also make sure to allocate like 10GB of RAM to minecraft.
January 10, 2013 6:46:02 PM

tiny voices said:
Our server is an i5 3470 and a 256gb SSD with 16gb of RAM. We don't lag really at all with like 6 people on as long as there isn't a ton of TNT going off or too many chickens in one place.

You should be fine as long as you don't have like a ton of animals or mad redstone or set off a bunch of tnt.

Make sure your internet connection is stable and FAST. Its a big factor.

Also make sure to allocate like 10GB of RAM to minecraft.

Good to know I'm in the ball park. I was debating SSD vs HDD. I got the HDD for space at lower cost because I figured I could RAMDISK the minecraft server, then have space for periodic backups. Would you still reccomend going exclusively SSD? I also plan on running a heavily stripped down windows install for the OS unless I can figure out how to get Linux up and running It's been 5 years since i last used Ubuntu. Tried on my current server machine and it threw so many errors for my NIC I just gave up. As far as my network I have a 20Mbps down, 3Mbps up cable connection, entirely stable. Its on wifi right now but will go wired when i shrink the form factor. We learned our lesson on TNT. We cratered a town TNT, server lasted a while before ultimately blowing up itself. If you wanna see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiwc5hcX6y4
!