Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Would this be a good build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 10, 2013 6:19:50 PM

(in no order)

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400

NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular

NZXT HAVIK-140

Logitech G500

Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit

ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms Full HD Widescreen LCD

HIS IceQ X² H797QM3G2M Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5

ASUS USB 2.0 Black External Slim CD/DVD Writer Model SDRW-08D2S-U

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77

Is there any place I can save some money?

More about : good build

January 10, 2013 6:32:24 PM

You can definitely save money in the RAM department - there's no need to pay money for 2400MHz RAM. Also there's no point in using a USB DVD writer on a desktop - drop that and get a cheap Lite On drive. If you're not going to overclock you could drop to the i5-3470 and H77 - you'd save approx. $70 there.

What's your budget?
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 6:42:57 PM

ok, I may need glasses, but I don't see a CPU listed.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 10, 2013 6:47:52 PM

yes what cpu are you using...? Also you should get a 1tb HD only like 10 bucks more. (scratch that, HD prices have gone up again) Depending on your budget and cpu, the 7970 may or may not be overkill.

The ram is fine imo, only $10 - 15 more than normal ram,faster, and looks a lot cooler!
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 6:51:41 PM

Azn Cracker said:
yes what cpu are you using...? Also you should get a 1tb HD only like 10 bucks more. Depending on your budget and cpu, the 7970 may or may not be overkill.

The ram is fine imo, only $10 - 15 more than normal ram,faster, and looks a lot cooler!


Yeah but most Z77 motherboards are only rated for up to DDR3 - 1866, you can't achieve speeds that high without overclocking.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 7:05:22 PM

The descriptions of RAM speed support on a MOBO can be kind of confusing, when I was looking it listed speeds supported by XMP as not having the (O.C.) next to it, so my board supported a 2133mhz XMP profile, but to go higher than that I would have to manually OC, I think it supports 2400mhz when manually OC'd. Just throwing it out there.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 7:41:23 PM

Azn Cracker said:
Ok fine its a little faster, but looks a lot cooler

Guess you can save 5 bucks getting this instead
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Or you could save $14 and get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have that same RAM and it works great.

Quote:
The descriptions of RAM speed support on a MOBO can be kind of confusing, when I was looking it listed speeds supported by XMP as not having the (O.C.) next to it, so my board supported a 2133mhz XMP profile, but to go higher than that I would have to manually OC, I think it supports 2400mhz when manually OC'd. Just throwing it out there.


Yeah that's true - most boards will support it but only if you manually overclock. However Intel will void your warranty if they find that you've been overclocking your RAM since Ivy Bridge is really only rated for DDR3-1600.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 7:48:46 PM

I have heard this several times g-unit, but why do they have profiles created by Intel that allow you to run your RAM at a higher rated speed? XMP is an Intel creation, no? It's not that I don't believe you, I just don't understand why they would create and include something for you to use that voids your warranty...
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 8:35:02 PM

g-unit1111 said:
You can definitely save money in the RAM department - there's no need to pay money for 2400MHz RAM. Also there's no point in using a USB DVD writer on a desktop - drop that and get a cheap Lite On drive. If you're not going to overclock you could drop to the i5-3470 and H77 - you'd save approx. $70 there.

What's your budget?


I thought I would use the external drive so I don't have to buy a seperate drive for each pc.
I will be OCing. On the ram, I noticed other sticks were about the same price for slower speeds, so I might as well go for more.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 8:35:34 PM

larrym said:
ok, I may need glasses, but I don't see a CPU listed.


3570k
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 8:36:29 PM

Azn Cracker said:
yes what cpu are you using...? Also you should get a 1tb HD only like 10 bucks more. (scratch that, HD prices have gone up again) Depending on your budget and cpu, the 7970 may or may not be overkill.

The ram is fine imo, only $10 - 15 more than normal ram,faster, and looks a lot cooler!


I hope to run Crysis at or near max settings
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 11:38:21 PM

randomguy1234567890 said:
I thought I would use the external drive so I don't have to buy a seperate drive for each pc.
I will be OCing. On the ram, I noticed other sticks were about the same price for slower speeds, so I might as well go for more.


Oh you're talking about the USB burner - CD burners are typically $17 anymore so you could just get as many as you need.

Buying more RAM isn't the place to spend money on a build - just start with 8GB and then you can add more as your needs increase.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 11:53:27 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Oh you're talking about the USB burner - CD burners are typically $17 anymore so you could just get as many as you need.

Buying more RAM isn't the place to spend money on a build - just start with 8GB and then you can add more as your needs increase.


I wanted the DVD drive to work with ultrabooks.

I'm using 8gb in the build. I meant with the speed, that was about the same price as ram of slower speeds
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 11:56:19 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Or you could save $14 and get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have that same RAM and it works great.

Quote:
The descriptions of RAM speed support on a MOBO can be kind of confusing, when I was looking it listed speeds supported by XMP as not having the (O.C.) next to it, so my board supported a 2133mhz XMP profile, but to go higher than that I would have to manually OC, I think it supports 2400mhz when manually OC'd. Just throwing it out there.


Yeah that's true - most boards will support it but only if you manually overclock. However Intel will void your warranty if they find that you've been overclocking your RAM since Ivy Bridge is really only rated for DDR3-1600.


Ok I'll use that ram. It looks slightly less awesome though :/ 
m
0
l
!