GTX 460 2Win or GTX 660?

jctwibell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hey hey! I am going to have a tri screen set up at 1080p and wanted to know which card is better? The GTX 460 2win or the GTX 660?

Now, I'm not very inclined to the latest hardware but I'm assuming that the GTX 660 is better, right? My question is, for the price is it that much better? I'm using the 3 screen set up to play Flight Sim x and X planes 9 & 10.

Also, if I was to get the GTX 460 2win, I would be putting it in this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227

^ will that fit?

If not then I guess Im stuck with the GTX 660. Besides the "2 win" options and the GTX 660, (don't want to spend more than what a GTX 660 costs) are there any other NVIDIA GPUs that support 3 screens on a single card?

Thanks in advance!

Pretty much :) Like you say, 10% isn't really a game-changer. As for stuttering, it's highly likely. I used to use a dual-GPU Radeon and as far as the system is concerned, it's not really any different from two cards in Crossfire/SLI. As for fitting in the case, your best bet is to check the manufacturer site for a graphics card clearance measurement (it's not necessarily the entire depth measurement of the case due to the front drive bays getting in the way). Often, the measurement isn't listed (usually just a selling point if huge cards can be accommodated) so email the manufacturer and retailer too and ask if it will fit. That's what I did when I bought a 12" monster card, and I got some helpful answers. I'd hugely recommend the GTX660 though - you won't be disappointed (unless you're after high settings across three screens in Battlefield 3! ;-)).

G

please consider the 660 over the 460 2win.

with the 460 2win there is a large difference in heat noise and overall power consumption. it may give a better performance with two screen but with the games you stated i would be inclined to believe the 660 would handle that.

and not only case size; if is a tight fit, we are looking at even more heat since it won't dissipate proper; but you got a PSU with two 8 pin power connections for that? (just say no to adapters!)

if you are unsure of the 660, i would suggest looking at a 7950, the memory bandwidth difference will com into play over the 660ti.

jctwibell

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010

Ahh I see, well due to the possibility of the stuttering I probably will go with the newer card. Ha! True, it probably wont play BF3 that gracefully!

Nice cards, just out of my price range. Cant spend more than $200 tops.

Yeah, Im liking the new architecture of the 600 series. Love how the 660 takes less power than my old 9800gt! The 660 is just a little out of my price range but then again....

I was looking at the 650 Ti Superclocked. Will that support 3 screens on one card?

That GTX650 Ti is a nice little card, but the model numbering doesn't convey just how much slower it is than the GTX660 - you're looking at a good 50% more muscle from the GTX660. The GTX650 Ti should handle most (but not all) current games at 1080p, anti-aliasing and high settings. Some of the more demanding games you'd need to disable AA or drop settings. At 5760x1080 however, it's going to struggle. The factory overclock may give you 10% of the lost performance back (depending on how much it is overclocked of course) but not more than that.