Cry for help P67 1155 Sabertooth

joeflint82

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I have just put together my new system, I bought a second hand P67 1155 Sabertooth without a manual, it had a few slightly bent pins on the socket, but the seller assured me it didn't affect his use of the board. I'm hoping it isn't the problem and would like to rule other things out first.

I power it up, and all the fans spin, the dvd drive powers up, and I think I can hear the SSD but as they don't really make a noise it might be my imagination. Nothing else happens, and the monitor doesn't get any picture.

I cannot find where to connect my case speaker, so that could help my diagnose the problem. I am posting on here because I'm about ready to cry that this is failing miserably, help please.

chugot9218

Honorable
Well, I would not buy a second-hand MOBO anyways you don't know what happened to it, and especially when he confirmed there was damage that should be an immediate red flag. List the rest of your components please, you could download the manual for your Sabertooth and see where the system speaker goes, it should be by your case power and HDD lights and such.

Also, do you see any diagnostic lights lit on the board?

joeflint82

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Thanks for the reply mate.

OCZ 850W Z Modular.
HAF 912 Plus.
i5 3330s processor (I was concerned about a possible bios problem, but I would at least expect to see something).
Kingston HyperX (2x8gb) - I have removed 1, leaving the remaining one furthest from CPU.
Samsung 830 128gb SSD
Hyper 212 Pro CPU Fan - FYI The only fan I have connected to the mobo, rest are via molex.

I've found the speaker port, and it isn't giving off a warning. I've tried to feel near the heatpipes of the CPU cooler and can't feel a change in temperature.

My motherboard has a MemOK light, I don't know if that is good or bad.

joeflint82

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
My only other light is a green light next to a yellow 8 pin COM1 port.
The red DRAM light isn't flashing now, it only did that because I pressed the MemOK button next to it. I'll stop pressing buttons now.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
yea you want to press the memok button. the red light indicates something is wrong with the ram. do you have any other ram you can try?

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Features/MemOK/

twelve25

Distinguished

You wouldn't see anything. If it's an incompatible CPU, it just won't POST.

P67 needs at least BIOS version 3209 to run ivy bridge. Only way to rule this out is to borrow/buy a sandy bridge CPU, see if it POSTs and update the BIOS.

joeflint82

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
So it's possible the build is fine, but I need a new bios? Is it easy to replace the BIOS chip, or should I just get a £30 Celeron SB?

Any idea if this will affect the RAM error?

Guys you are amazing.

chugot9218

Honorable
The MOBO does not know what is wrong with it because it has no CPU, it will basically just freak out on random stuff until it find a processor it recognizes. I am not sure how simple the BIOS chip change is, some are soldered in I have heard. You could get/borrow a cheap SB CPU or buy an Ivy MOBO or an SB MOBO that is verified to support Ivy CPU's.

twelve25

Distinguished
Check the supported CPU list: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_P67/#CPUS

If you are going to buy something, I'd look for one with the oldest BIOS support, just in case it's never been updated. The G530 is probably the cheapest chips that was on the original bioS.

Maybe you could get someone to trade you straight across for an i5 SB that is similar in speed. Say a i5-2400 or something like that.

Or I guess you could just buy a new Z77 board and sell the p67 on to someone else who plans to use Sandy.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
some asus boards come with a way to flash the bios even if it wont post for these exact situations. i would email asus and ask them. you can also try clearing the cmos it wouldn't hurt.

twelve25

Distinguished

True story.

chugot9218

Honorable
Not his board, didn't start until z77 unless it is on the higher-end p67 models.

BTW it is called USB BIOS Flashback if anyone is interested, I have seen similar stuff on newer boards from other manufacturers.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
yea i didn't think that has it but its still worth contacting asus. id try that before i bought another cpu or motherboard. unless you know someone you can borrow a cpu from.

the red memory light also makes me think it could be a memory problem. if someone bought a sabertooth i wouldn't be surprised if they regularly updated their bios and it already had a newer version.

joeflint82

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
The guy I bought it from said he had updated it recently, but he did seem a little bit of a muppet. It'll be a few days before I sort the BIOS out, I'll definitely update the thread with the results.