Suggest a desktop configuration for a heavy multitasker

mihird

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Hi All,

I am planning to build a desktop. I just need to build CPU, I have other components.

Primary use: Heavy multitasker with multiple displays (visual studio, some custom multi threaded apps, sometimes GIMP, lots of internet browser tabs)

Overclocking: Probably not

Gaming: No

Budget: around $1200

Displays to attach: 3

I don't have any strong preference for Intel/AMD, whatever is best for my use.

Please suggest me a good combination of

CPU (and seperate cooling unit too if required)
Motherboard
Power Supply Unit
GPU
RAM
SSD

I can assemble myself but I don't have any idea about current products.

Please help...

Thanks.

Solution

I can. The Asus equivalent is the ASUS M5A97 R2.0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873

I didn't realize you were in india, so I dont know how useful a link to Newegg is, but at least it has product information you can use.

Also, is it advisable to use addons for bluetooth n wifi or get integrated board?

2) Can this workstation GPU take some not-so-serious gaming sometimes? I might do some light gaming sometimes. Benefit of being self...

mihird

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Yes, that should work. I had read somewhere that in some cards only 2 ports work at a time.

mihird

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

What's USP of the board? Any other value for money board suggestion? (not budget board specifically, but VFM)

mookial

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

From my understanding most boards/CPUs work best in dual channel, so unless your going for more than 16 GB (2 x 8GB) -- two will suffice.

mihird

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
I am thinking about i7 3770/3770K for CPU.

If I don't plan on OC, should I go for 3770?

Also is Intel board better if I don't want to OC?

---

Question for OC experts - My primary aim is stable and fast system. I don't want to risk stability, even if it's under warranty. Warranty replacement process is kinda lengthy where I live (India) and so I don't want to wait for that long for my primary machine.

I have read that OC is far more safe now even since "Core" series, but how stable is it to OC i7 3770k?

mookial

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
OC should always be stable if done properly, pass stability tests and have adequate cooling. If you don't plan to OC you can go for the non-K version, which is only about a $10 difference so why not spend it to prepare for the future -- in case you ever decide to OC. As for the cooler, it depends where your trying to get too. IB chips run hotter than SB so if going for a clock like 4.6 a high end air will do, but any higher (depending on what VCore you can get) a closed loop may help or custom loop.

stevydinho

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Sorry for the slow reply, I'm a noob at OC, but the USP (I take it you mean unique selling point) of the Sabretooth is very fast booting, quality, value for money, and it supports multiple displays. For a $1500 budget I would recommend this board, or if you want to splash out, get an X79 motherboard

mihird

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Any thoughts about P8Z77-V Pro (compared to sabretooth)?

mihird

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Thank you very much for creating this list for me. First 4 items have broken URL, can you please update it or just paste name?

Also, your profile says you are from India. Do you happen to know about any online store in India for best prices?

jcsco

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Mate if you are using it for work and if your budget could extend to it just go grab yourself a HP or Dell workstation and spec it out to the monitor requirements you need. And in my experience it might be best to push it out from 16gb or 32gb of RAM and furthermore liberal usage of SSD's to store the installation locations and code source files in addition to temp and swap usage locations with dramatically improve your performance in a development environment.

Visual studio can be a dog as with any other IDE these days with the huge amount of files it is referencing and scanning on a regular basis etc etc... it is just heavy lifting so you do not have to.

May seem like a huge expense to go get such a system but really they are going to work really well and hopefully without fault or incompatibilities for years. Just something you never really get from a home tinkered together PC without a lot of testing and research. I am surely prepared to get a flaming for that statement. Stability and work really not the same as home pc requirements.

Anyways.. that is a whole other tangent.

If your coding get yourself a decent set of Panels that look fantastic with text and look good with the brightness adjustment from low to high. Some panels do not always do so well may not bother you but it may be something to note.

Considerations for CPU and Disk are the only other places that i would really focus, depending on if you are compiling on your machine or its bitched to a build box you might want a top i7 for your box, otherwise save yourself the bank and just get an i5.

Lets be honest unless your crunching huge numbers or compiling the i5 is cheaper and can get the job done.

Just a drive brain dump on this issue sorry I didnt price u a system :)

Thats not a smart setup for what the OP's intended use. There is more wasted money than you can shake a stick at. Its just a gaming rig with a 3770k.

Two 8gb sticks is better than four 4gb sticks ONLY because it leaves you two slots open for easier memory expansion at a later date. Performance would be identical.

CPU: FX 8350 $199
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ $109
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

PSU: Seasonic S12 II 520 $69
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094&Tpk=seasonic%20s12II%20520

GPU: ATI FirePro Workstation card $179
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195120

Ram: 16 GB - CORSAIR DDR3 1600 $89
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233367

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced 240GB $159
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226153

Totals around $800 plus tax and shipping. And these are all very high quality components. Everyone else is just throwing overpriced gaming setups at you. This one performs as well in your appointed tasks, has at least as much memory and SSD space, includes a workstation card, and cost much less.

Even this is overkill in many respects, but at least its overkill tuned towards what your going to use it for. And it leaves you at least $300 to fill any other needs, such as a bigger SSD, or more memory.

mihird

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Thank you very much Falcon. I just checked the benchmarks of the AMD CPU you suggested, it even beats i7 3770k in many areas, with pure savings of around $120.

1) The gigabyte mobo you suggested - can you suggest equivalent/similar board in Asus too? The reason is, last time I checked, gigabyte had crappy service where I live, incase anything happens during warranty period, I'll check though if it's improved.

Also, is it advisable to use addons for bluetooth n wifi or get integrated board?

2) Can this workstation GPU take some not-so-serious gaming sometimes? I might do some light gaming sometimes. Benefit of being self employed ;) I don't know much but I was concerned as it has only 512MB memory with 4 display support. Also, does any workstation GPU come with different output ports? (like HDMI, if I am to attach a TV)

3) AMD ranks higher in value for money. But I read that FX8350 consumes much high power compared to intel? How bad is that? I am concerned about power consumption because this machine will be on for approx 16 hours a day (8 hrs busy n 8 hrs with minimum load).

Also if you were to suggest equivalent Intel setup, what would be it? And what would be downside of intel except a bit pricey?

One final question, a fellow member here suggest to get dell/hp workstation. Even I had thought of that before this. Is the performance/stability worth the extra buck? I just checked dell's workstation builds - customization is limited and price is quite high, atleast in Dell India.

willyroc

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I highly recommend FALC0N's build, except that you may want a GTX 560 for light gaming and for the rare CUDA app. If not, then just go with a 6770 or a 7750, although you should check that it is GDDR5.

mihird

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Thanks for your input in GPU. I won't be using that CUDA app you mentioned. I'll checkout your mentioned GPU for light gaming.

The mobo, Gigabyte GA 970A UD3 seems to be discountinued and I can't find it in local shops or online store in my country. Can you suggest other alternatives for the same?

Is 990XA-UD3 upgrade to that one? How is 970A-DS3?