Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Suggest a desktop configuration for a heavy multitasker

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 8, 2013 3:49:53 PM

Hi All,

I am planning to build a desktop. I just need to build CPU, I have other components.

Primary use: Heavy multitasker with multiple displays (visual studio, some custom multi threaded apps, sometimes GIMP, lots of internet browser tabs)

Overclocking: Probably not

OS: Windows

Gaming: No

Budget: around $1200

Displays to attach: 3

I don't have any strong preference for Intel/AMD, whatever is best for my use.

Please suggest me a good combination of

CPU (and seperate cooling unit too if required)
Motherboard
Power Supply Unit
GPU
RAM
SSD

I can assemble myself but I don't have any idea about current products.


Please help...

Thanks.
January 8, 2013 3:52:32 PM

I can wait if there are promising new launch or some upcoming launch will add huge to savings.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 8, 2013 5:24:04 PM

I forgot to add, I want to attach 3 displays
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 7:57:21 PM

That one in the link has 2xDVI and 1xHDMI, would that do?
m
0
l
January 8, 2013 8:21:24 PM

stevydinho said:
That one in the link has 2xDVI and 1xHDMI, would that do?



Yes, that should work. I had read somewhere that in some cards only 2 ports work at a time.
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 10:30:38 AM

stevydinho said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wxbn not sure if another cooler would be necessary.


What's USP of the board? Any other value for money board suggestion? (not budget board specifically, but VFM)
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 10:32:52 AM

Guys, if somebody else has some other insights, please share. I need your opinion here.

Also, what's better - 4x4gb or 2x8gb?
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 10:48:49 AM

mihird said:
Guys, if somebody else has some other insights, please share. I need your opinion here.

Also, what's better - 4x4gb or 2x8gb?


From my understanding most boards/CPUs work best in dual channel, so unless your going for more than 16 GB (2 x 8GB) -- two will suffice.
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 12:03:19 PM

I am thinking about i7 3770/3770K for CPU.

If I don't plan on OC, should I go for 3770?

Also is Intel board better if I don't want to OC?

---

Question for OC experts - My primary aim is stable and fast system. I don't want to risk stability, even if it's under warranty. Warranty replacement process is kinda lengthy where I live (India) and so I don't want to wait for that long for my primary machine.

I have read that OC is far more safe now even since "Core" series, but how stable is it to OC i7 3770k?
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 12:04:14 PM

And if I OC 3770k, what kind of cooling system would I need?
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 12:18:35 PM

OC should always be stable if done properly, pass stability tests and have adequate cooling. If you don't plan to OC you can go for the non-K version, which is only about a $10 difference so why not spend it to prepare for the future -- in case you ever decide to OC. As for the cooler, it depends where your trying to get too. IB chips run hotter than SB so if going for a clock like 4.6 a high end air will do, but any higher (depending on what VCore you can get) a closed loop may help or custom loop.
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 12:19:32 PM
January 9, 2013 2:28:56 PM

Sorry for the slow reply, I'm a noob at OC, but the USP (I take it you mean unique selling point) of the Sabretooth is very fast booting, quality, value for money, and it supports multiple displays. For a $1500 budget I would recommend this board, or if you want to splash out, get an X79 motherboard
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 5:28:33 PM

stevydinho said:
Sorry for the slow reply, I'm a noob at OC, but the USP (I take it you mean unique selling point) of the Sabretooth is very fast booting, quality, value for money, and it supports multiple displays. For a $1500 budget I would recommend this board, or if you want to splash out, get an X79 motherboard


Any thoughts about P8Z77-V Pro (compared to sabretooth)?
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 5:51:12 PM

monu_08 said:
psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817341017
gpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814131468
cpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819116502
mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157303
cabinet http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ssd http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
hdd http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

psu 70$
gpu 360$
cpu 300$
mobo 70$
ram 46$
cabinet 89$
h100 i 100$
hdd 2tb 109$
ssd 120gb 99$

total 1243$

i have search an budget that may u not refuse them



Thank you very much for creating this list for me. First 4 items have broken URL, can you please update it or just paste name?

Also, your profile says you are from India. Do you happen to know about any online store in India for best prices?
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 1:13:45 AM

mihird said:
Hi All,

I am planning to build a desktop. I just need to build CPU, I have other components.

Primary use: Heavy multitasker with multiple displays (visual studio, some custom multi threaded apps, sometimes GIMP, lots of internet browser tabs)

Overclocking: Probably not

OS: Windows

Gaming: No

Budget: around $1200

Displays to attach: 3

I don't have any strong preference for Intel/AMD, whatever is best for my use.

Please suggest me a good combination of

CPU (and seperate cooling unit too if required)
Motherboard
Power Supply Unit
GPU
RAM
SSD

I can assemble myself but I don't have any idea about current products.


Please help...

Thanks.


Mate if you are using it for work and if your budget could extend to it just go grab yourself a HP or Dell workstation and spec it out to the monitor requirements you need. And in my experience it might be best to push it out from 16gb or 32gb of RAM and furthermore liberal usage of SSD's to store the installation locations and code source files in addition to temp and swap usage locations with dramatically improve your performance in a development environment.

Visual studio can be a dog as with any other IDE these days with the huge amount of files it is referencing and scanning on a regular basis etc etc... it is just heavy lifting so you do not have to.

May seem like a huge expense to go get such a system but really they are going to work really well and hopefully without fault or incompatibilities for years. Just something you never really get from a home tinkered together PC without a lot of testing and research. I am surely prepared to get a flaming for that statement. Stability and work really not the same as home pc requirements.

Anyways.. that is a whole other tangent.

If your coding get yourself a decent set of Panels that look fantastic with text and look good with the brightness adjustment from low to high. Some panels do not always do so well may not bother you but it may be something to note.

Considerations for CPU and Disk are the only other places that i would really focus, depending on if you are compiling on your machine or its bitched to a build box you might want a top i7 for your box, otherwise save yourself the bank and just get an i5.

Lets be honest unless your crunching huge numbers or compiling the i5 is cheaper and can get the job done.

Just a drive brain dump on this issue sorry I didnt price u a system :) 
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 2:40:39 AM

stevydinho said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wxbn not sure if another cooler would be necessary.


Thats not a smart setup for what the OP's intended use. There is more wasted money than you can shake a stick at. Its just a gaming rig with a 3770k.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 2:44:18 AM

mihird said:
Guys, if somebody else has some other insights, please share. I need your opinion here.

Also, what's better - 4x4gb or 2x8gb?


Two 8gb sticks is better than four 4gb sticks ONLY because it leaves you two slots open for easier memory expansion at a later date. Performance would be identical.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 5:17:10 AM

mihird said:

Primary use: Heavy multitasker with multiple displays (visual studio, some custom multi threaded apps, sometimes GIMP, lots of internet browser tabs)

Gaming: No

Budget: around $1200

Displays to attach: 3

Please suggest me a good combination of

CPU (and seperate cooling unit too if required)
Motherboard
Power Supply Unit
GPU
RAM
SSD


CPU: FX 8350 $199
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ $109
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: Seasonic S12 II 520 $69
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: ATI FirePro Workstation card $179
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ram: 16 GB - CORSAIR DDR3 1600 $89
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced 240GB $159
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Totals around $800 plus tax and shipping. And these are all very high quality components. Everyone else is just throwing overpriced gaming setups at you. This one performs as well in your appointed tasks, has at least as much memory and SSD space, includes a workstation card, and cost much less.

Even this is overkill in many respects, but at least its overkill tuned towards what your going to use it for. And it leaves you at least $300 to fill any other needs, such as a bigger SSD, or more memory.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 7:10:35 AM

FALC0N said:
CPU: FX 8350 $199
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ $109
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: Seasonic S12 II 520 $69
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: ATI FirePro Workstation card $179
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ram: 16 GB - CORSAIR DDR3 1600 $89
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced 240GB $159
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Totals around $800 plus tax and shipping. And these are all very high quality components. Everyone else is just throwing overpriced gaming setups at you. This one performs as well in your appointed tasks, has at least as much memory and SSD space, includes a workstation card, and cost much less.

Even this is overkill in many respects, but at least its overkill tuned towards what your going to use it for. And it leaves you at least $300 to fill any other needs, such as a bigger SSD, or more memory.


Thank you very much Falcon. I just checked the benchmarks of the AMD CPU you suggested, it even beats i7 3770k in many areas, with pure savings of around $120.


1) The gigabyte mobo you suggested - can you suggest equivalent/similar board in Asus too? The reason is, last time I checked, gigabyte had crappy service where I live, incase anything happens during warranty period, I'll check though if it's improved.

Also, is it advisable to use addons for bluetooth n wifi or get integrated board?

2) Can this workstation GPU take some not-so-serious gaming sometimes? I might do some light gaming sometimes. Benefit of being self employed ;)  I don't know much but I was concerned as it has only 512MB memory with 4 display support. Also, does any workstation GPU come with different output ports? (like HDMI, if I am to attach a TV)

3) AMD ranks higher in value for money. But I read that FX8350 consumes much high power compared to intel? How bad is that? I am concerned about power consumption because this machine will be on for approx 16 hours a day (8 hrs busy n 8 hrs with minimum load).

Also if you were to suggest equivalent Intel setup, what would be it? And what would be downside of intel except a bit pricey?


One final question, a fellow member here suggest to get dell/hp workstation. Even I had thought of that before this. Is the performance/stability worth the extra buck? I just checked dell's workstation builds - customization is limited and price is quite high, atleast in Dell India.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 11:49:16 AM

I highly recommend FALC0N's build, except that you may want a GTX 560 for light gaming and for the rare CUDA app. If not, then just go with a 6770 or a 7750, although you should check that it is GDDR5.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 12:32:25 PM

willyroc said:
I highly recommend FALC0N's build, except that you may want a GTX 560 for light gaming and for the rare CUDA app. If not, then just go with a 6770 or a 7750, although you should check that it is GDDR5.



Thanks for your input in GPU. I won't be using that CUDA app you mentioned. I'll checkout your mentioned GPU for light gaming.



The mobo, Gigabyte GA 970A UD3 seems to be discountinued and I can't find it in local shops or online store in my country. Can you suggest other alternatives for the same?

Is 990XA-UD3 upgrade to that one? How is 970A-DS3?
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 7:55:49 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
0
l

Best solution

January 11, 2013 2:55:18 AM

mihird said:
Thank you very much Falcon. I just checked the benchmarks of the AMD CPU you suggested, it even beats i7 3770k in many areas, with pure savings of around $120.


1) The gigabyte mobo you suggested - can you suggest equivalent/similar board in Asus too?


I can. The Asus equivalent is the ASUS M5A97 R2.0

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I didn't realize you were in india, so I dont know how useful a link to Newegg is, but at least it has product information you can use.




Quote:
Also, is it advisable to use addons for bluetooth n wifi or get integrated board?

2) Can this workstation GPU take some not-so-serious gaming sometimes? I might do some light gaming sometimes. Benefit of being self employed ;)  I don't know much but I was concerned as it has only 512MB memory with 4 display support. Also, does any workstation GPU come with different output ports? (like HDMI, if I am to attach a TV)


For bluetooth and wifi, I assume you mean the difference between a USB plugin and an add on board that goes into an expansion slot. I have had good results with both.

As for the GPU, I tossed in a workstation card because that seemed to be the bulk of the workload. But open GL is on many desktop cards now, which limits the benefit gained through a workstation card. Couple of years ago, Open GL was exclusively workstation.

Bottom line, almost any card that has been suggested so far would work. But if your going to game, go with a desktop card. Just make sure it supports Open CL.


Quote:
3) AMD ranks higher in value for money. But I read that FX8350 consumes much high power compared to intel? How bad is that? I am concerned about power consumption because this machine will be on for approx 16 hours a day (8 hrs busy n 8 hrs with minimum load).

Also if you were to suggest equivalent Intel setup, what would be it? And what would be downside of intel except a bit pricey?



The intel equivalent would be the I5 3570. Its about $20 more, but the FX 8350 has a solid edge in non-gaming workloads and especially rendering. The first intel chip to match the 8350 in your workloads is the I7 3770. It costs around $320, a lot more than the 8350.

As for power consumption, the difference under load is about 60 watts in favor of intel. At idle, there is little difference. But its not so much that the FX is power hungry as the last two generations of Intel chips have just been really, really, energy efficient.

Bottom line. The FX will perform your tasks like an intel chip that costs $100 more, but uses more power. I guess it depends on how much power costs there. Where I am at, the cost of electricity is so low that it hardly matters how much power one system uses. But I know some places it does matter.

Were I to recommend an Intel setup I would use these two:

Intel I7 3770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS P8H77-V LE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The biggest downside to the intel platform is the lack of cpu updatability. Intel changes sockets a lot. AMD tends to do a much better job with socket compatibility.

Meaning that two years from now, your more likely to be able to drop in a newer, faster cpu into your AMD board. Intel Socket 1155 is already dead. Intel has announced that the next generation parts will use a new socket.


Quote:
One final question, a fellow member here suggest to get dell/hp workstation. Even I had thought of that before this. Is the performance/stability worth the extra buck? I just checked dell's workstation builds - customization is limited and price is quite high, atleast in Dell India.


If your on a budget, probably not. Those systems usually use server parts and workstation cards and they do perform and they are stable, but you pay a price for that.

It would get the job done, but I don't think its worth it. Not unless money is no object.
Share
January 11, 2013 2:57:08 AM

willyroc said:
I highly recommend FALC0N's build, except that you may want a GTX 560 for light gaming and for the rare CUDA app. If not, then just go with a 6770 or a 7750, although you should check that it is GDDR5.


That would get the job done. And it supports Open GL.
m
0
l
January 11, 2013 11:33:37 AM

FALC0N said:


The intel equivalent would be the I5 3570. Its about $20 more, but the FX 8350 has a solid edge in non-gaming workloads and especially rendering. The first intel chip to match the 8350 in your workloads is the I7 3770. It costs around $320, a lot more than the 8350.

As for power consumption, the difference under load is about 60 watts in favor of intel. At idle, there is little difference. But its not so much that the FX is power hungry as the last two generations of Intel chips have just been really, really, energy efficient.

Bottom line. The FX will perform your tasks like an intel chip that costs $100 more, but uses more power. I guess it depends on how much power costs there. Where I am at, the cost of electricity is so low that it hardly matters how much power one system uses. But I know some places it does matter.

Were I to recommend an Intel setup I would use these two:

Intel I7 3770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS P8H77-V LE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The biggest downside to the intel platform is the lack of cpu updatability. Intel changes sockets a lot. AMD tends to do a much better job with socket compatibility.

Meaning that two years from now, your more likely to be able to drop in a newer, faster cpu into your AMD board. Intel Socket 1155 is already dead. Intel has announced that the next generation parts will use a new socket.



Thanks a ton. You have been quite helpful :) 

I'll most probably go with intel setup in that case. With my usage, I'll recover the cost difference in much less than a year and I plan on keep using this for atleast 2 years (cost difference with 3770 is $90 and $125 with 3770k). And after using it for 2-3 years, I'll be happy to just replace the cpu+combo and put the old combo to work in secondary machine, so socket compability doesn't matter for me much.

For now, i7 3770 is more than enough but considering long term use, is it advisable to consider i7 3770k for OC possibility? I am not much into OC at the moment but who knows about future. The price difference between 3770 and 3770k is around $35 (I read that 3770 has some features which 3770k doesn't, which adds more to my confusion, though I have no idea how useful they are)

And for mobo, could you please list top 3 board for the i7 around $125? So I can pick up based on availability here.

PS:NewEgg links are fine, I can see the specs from there.
m
0
l
January 11, 2013 1:18:14 PM

well for what you plan to do I do recommend what falcon recommended but the intel one ain't bad.

I like MSi for their mobo asI have used MSi for both cards and mobo and just a few of the asus brand (availability and price wise on my country)

so since I only have experience with msi I would recommend Msi 77a gd65 motherboard or it's cheaper equivalent... even the asrock z77 extreme4/6 are great.

I do have experience with some ASUS mobo but only few like the maximus but it might make you go over budget. but for your usage the 8350 is a great choice as the money saved could get you extra stuff you need for your system or even a box of pizza ^_^.

but everything is your choice, you should also decide on which one would benefit you the most of what your doing.

you can check this one out it has many useful information specially if your using any of the programs they used there

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-rev...

and decide whether the price your paying for is just right or you won't pay for the premium.

just like business. If your income is greater than the amount of money your spraying around then continue business. if it's equal then just continue but if your earning less money than the amount of products your producing then most likely you need to shut down. sometimes buying a computer is similar (not always thought)

+1 to amd setup above and +1 to Intel.

well just a side note thought. since I like Intel (I have amd systems too and some old ones from athlon and phenom) but I like blue so I would say Intel. but don't base it on this. IMO to the price and specially if your limited on a budget go AMD. it should do just fine for the job you need to do.
m
0
l
January 11, 2013 7:07:27 PM

mihird said:


For now, i7 3770 is more than enough but considering long term use, is it advisable to consider i7 3770k for OC possibility? I am not much into OC at the moment but who knows about future. The price difference between 3770 and 3770k is around $35 (I read that 3770 has some features which 3770k doesn't, which adds more to my confusion, though I have no idea how useful they are)

And for mobo, could you please list top 3 board for the i7 around $125? So I can pick up based on availability here.

PS:NewEgg links are fine, I can see the specs from there.


The 3770 does have a few features not avaiable in the 3770k. They are more related to security and targeted towards IT professionals. You won't need them. So I would go with the K.

The 3770k will OC pretty well, but power usage would increase. if your happy with the stock performance, I would leave it there. But it's always nice to have the option.

I will toss a few more MB recommendations later today. At work right now.
m
0
l
January 13, 2013 7:59:17 AM

FALC0N said:

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced 240GB $159
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...




Is Sandisk Extreme 240GB a better buy for $10 extra (@Amazon)? OR ADATA XPG SX900 256 GB for $20 extra?

I am looking for best reliability as I am planning to import (most probably). Very few SSDs available here, most affordable is OCZ Vertex 4, at around $270
m
0
l
January 15, 2013 12:44:36 PM



Apart from this Asus and MSI mobo suggested above, can somebody please advise similar MB from Gigabyte too?

Gigabyte GA-z77-D3H - $113
Gigabyte GA-z77-UD3H - $184
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H - $222
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-U3DH - $237

Prices mentioned are local prices, converted to USD, just to compare.

As fa as I know, Z77X series has added SLI support, which I think is for utilizing multiple GPU for frame randering, which I don't think is needed for non-gamers.

I heard many good reviews of ASRock Extreme4 but this brand does not have good service network where I live so I am not adding it to list.
m
0
l
January 16, 2013 10:57:41 PM

mihird said:
Apart from this Asus and MSI mobo suggested above, can somebody please advise similar MB from Gigabyte too?

Gigabyte GA-z77-D3H - $113
Gigabyte GA-z77-UD3H - $184
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H - $222
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-U3DH - $237



The Gigabyte GA-z77-D3H at $113.

That's the board I would get. Gigabyte is very good with bios updates, which is a good thing. All solid capacitors and heatsinks for the power regulation circuits. The only thing its really lacking that you may or may not need is firewire.
m
0
l
January 22, 2013 5:08:43 PM

Best answer selected by mihird.
m
0
l
!