Why does my wired network transfer files slowly

DougW_16

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
I have a small business network that connects 3 wired pc's and 2 wireless laptops. I am running a point of sale system on the network. I recently replaced the computer I use as a server. The work stations now run the point of sale system so slowly, they almost cannot be used. Both the wired and wireless systems are running slower. Both wired workstations are running Windows XP, both the old and new "server" are running Windows 7 64 bit. Both are Pentium dual core with 6gb of RAM. The old system has a Realtek RTL8168C network card, and the new system has an Intel 82579V network card. I replaced the computer due to other hardware issues. The cable used to connect it to the router is the same. The old machine ran the workstations MUCH faster. Does this have to do with the network card, or some other setting I am missing. I know a little about computers but am not extremely technically knowledgeable. I tried to make all the settings exactly the same so my point of sale system would still recognize the new computer.

Hard drive speed might have a large effect on transaction processing.

Also, a change in virus protection and/or settings could make a difference. Specifically, if the old machine had the folder for the transaction/database files exempted from scanning and the new one does not, the new machine could be much slower due to the virus protection scanning the database after each transaction.

DougW_16

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

Thanks for the info. I thought about the hard drive issue after I posted the problem. I will check that. Also, thanks for the heads up about the virus protection. I will look into that as well.

DougW_16

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Thanks for the help everyone. Turns out it wasn't as complicated as I feared. I found that "network discovery" in the "public" section of advanced sharing settings was set to off. I guess this is a default setting. I turned it on and all the computers run fine now. I'm just glad my solution wasn't too complicated. Thanks for the replies!