Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade GPU only?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2012 6:53:12 PM

Hello,

Below are my specs. I’m currently socket AM2 and DDR2, but decent components. I’ve been debating upgrading just the GPU for now and a full upgrade in 6 months or so. I’ve been researching for a while and I’m looking at the 650ti up to the 660 – or the 7850 or 7870; just not sure if with the older components upgrading just the GPU is worth it.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week maybe - not looking to spend more than $225-250 or so (USD)
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming mostly, most recently Planetside 2
SYSTEM SPECS:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0
ASUS M4A77D
GeIL Black Dragon 8GB (4 x 2GB)
XFX Core Edition GS250XZSL4 GeForce GTS 250
Corsair 650W PS
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Not important, I have a microcenter local and their prices aren’t bad so maybe there
OVERCLOCKING: No OC, no SLI/Crossfire
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have pretty good cooling, CPU gets around 50c under load, but my GPU is hitting almost 80c (current card runs hot!) so I can’t OC the card at all

Thanks in advance for the advice.

More about : upgrade gpu

a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2012 11:40:31 PM

Your CPU is probably the best on the AM2+ platform, so any upgrade to CPU and MOBO would be more expensive. Grab an HD 7870, it beats a GTX 650, 650Ti and 660 in benchmarks, and can be found for 210 to 250 depending on brand, if it is pre over clocked, and if there is a sale, I literally just picked one up for 210 on black friday, and the sale wasnt even for black friday, it had been on for a while. These cards overclock well and preoverclocked cards cost more for weak over clocks. You are better off getting a base speed card and overclocking it yourself :) 
!