Sign in with
Your question

CPU Speed vs. RAM

Last response: in Systems
January 10, 2013 9:27:54 PM

For the first time I am thinking of buying instead of building my next computer. And I have a question about which is better. A Fast CPU or as much RAM as you can get.

Simply put, with everything being equal, would you get a computer with a 3.0 GHz CPU but 2 GB Ram or a slower CPU but with 4 GB of RAM?

On the surface the former seems better since one can always add ram, but, the latter system is cheaper.

But, before I make my decision (which always seems to be outdated the moment I make it :cry:  ) I would like to get what other who may have more experence thinks.

More about : cpu speed ram

January 10, 2013 9:38:29 PM

that's tough because in my older laptop with only 4GB of ram i can use it all just by opening too many youtube videos. also why would you buy it prebuilt if you know how to build them?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2013 9:38:48 PM

depends what you are doing

how you are doing it

and what operating system you are using
m
l
January 12, 2013 2:47:26 PM

Quote:
depends what you are doing

Mostly for Internet (duh) and making videos.

Quote:
also why would you buy it prebuilt if you know how to build them?

The short answer is money :ouch: 

In my current situration, Greece has a better credit rateing then me :cry: 

Besides I have been looking and found that for what I payed for my last upgrade one can't purchase anywhere near that level of features today.

And, unlike last time I also have to upgrade my OS (I think it time for me to put Windows98 - orginal edition - to its final rest) and the case. So adding all that up makes a custom build out of my range.

However, What I can do is purchase a refurbished computer, and with some odds and ends laying around can come up with something that should be better then what I have now.

For examples:
HP DC7800 2000 MHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 2GB DDR2
Or
HP DC7800 2300 MHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 2GB DDR2
Or
HP DC7800 2300MHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 4.GB DDR2
or
HP DC7900 Intel Core 2 Duo 3000 MHz Memory: 1.00G BDDR2
All with Windows 7 Home Professional

Plus since I do have parts laying around that I can add. The only thing I'll have to buy is a video capture card since my has a AGP interface and these computers (along with others I have seen) don't have that interface anymore.

So that now I "answered" your questions.

How about an answer to mine?

Would you go with a faster CPU or more RAM?

m
l
!