CPU Speed vs. RAM

For the first time I am thinking of buying instead of building my next computer. And I have a question about which is better. A Fast CPU or as much RAM as you can get.

Simply put, with everything being equal, would you get a computer with a 3.0 GHz CPU but 2 GB Ram or a slower CPU but with 4 GB of RAM?

On the surface the former seems better since one can always add ram, but, the latter system is cheaper.

But, before I make my decision (which always seems to be outdated the moment I make it :cry: ) I would like to get what other who may have more experence thinks.
3 answers Last reply
More about speed
  1. that's tough because in my older laptop with only 4GB of ram i can use it all just by opening too many youtube videos. also why would you buy it prebuilt if you know how to build them?
  2. depends what you are doing

how you are doing it

and what operating system you are using
  3. Quote:
    depends what you are doing

Mostly for Internet (duh) and making videos.

Quote:
    also why would you buy it prebuilt if you know how to build them?

The short answer is money :ouch:

In my current situration, Greece has a better credit rateing then me :cry:

Besides I have been looking and found that for what I payed for my last upgrade one can't purchase anywhere near that level of features today.

And, unlike last time I also have to upgrade my OS (I think it time for me to put Windows98 - orginal edition - to its final rest) and the case. So adding all that up makes a custom build out of my range.

However, What I can do is purchase a refurbished computer, and with some odds and ends laying around can come up with something that should be better then what I have now.

For examples:
    HP DC7800 2000 MHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 2GB DDR2
    Or
    HP DC7800 2300 MHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 2GB DDR2
    Or
    HP DC7800 2300MHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 4.GB DDR2
    or
    HP DC7900 Intel Core 2 Duo 3000 MHz Memory: 1.00G BDDR2
    All with Windows 7 Home Professional

Plus since I do have parts laying around that I can add. The only thing I'll have to buy is a video capture card since my has a AGP interface and these computers (along with others I have seen) don't have that interface anymore.

So that now I "answered" your questions.

How about an answer to mine?

Would you go with a faster CPU or more RAM?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build RAM CPUs Computer Systems