First Build since 2004 - Need Guidance, Please.

Hello,

I'm in desperate need of an upgrade. I've been running the same old 939 board since they were released back in 2004.

I currently have a 175 Opteron and 9800GT -- and as a 720p low-end setting gamer was able to do ok on games up until recently.

Being as I haven't upgraded or built a pc in a very long time -- i'm kinda out of the loop. A large portion of my salvagable components (450 PSU, HDD, Disc Drive, etc) are failing so I am just going to do a complete new build from the ground up.

I took some time to do some research and decided to give myself about an 800-900 budget. Again, I game on a 720p display (A HDTV) from 8 feet a way so I don't need crazy high resolutions or AA, but I would like to be able to turn the effects back to high like I used to.

Now, here's what I've come up with so far. I'd like to know your opinions. Is there something I could replace it with to get a longer lifespan out of it, more performance, etc.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
MOBO: AS Rock LGA1155
Optical: Lite-On Super AllWrite 24X SATA DVD+/-RW
PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w
HDD: WD Blue 250 GB Desktop Hard Drive
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) 1600 MHz

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB

CASE: Cooler Master Elite 430 - Mid Tower Computer

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1

Again, I need everything aside from salvaging my peripherals... This runs me a total with shipping and everything at $863.37

Should I jump on this..or is there more I could do? I really don't want to go much over in price. I just want something that's going to last. I know the GPU is on the weaker end, but I can always upgrade that later on.
3 answers Last reply
More about first build 2004 guidance please
  1. in your price range, you can definitely step up the GPU a little by going with a 7950

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wUQN

if you want a nvidia card, you can get the 660ti
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125441&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
  2. You should get the 660ti. I respect the 7950 greatly, but the 660ti around the same in performance, but the 7950 does not come into its own until you get into the over full HD resolutions.
  3. the 660ti performs less but with a tad more stability. the 7950 performs better either way and has more value for the money. just pick one
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product