Need to upgrade my homebuilt, please help

prawnsman

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Ok, so I'm way over my head here. I had my dad help me build a workstation for my video editing according to the videoguys system build about a year ago. Below are the specs. It worked relatively well (albeit slower than I imagined it would be...this could be due to not setting it up or optimizing it 100% from the get-go) but now it's going slower and freezing more than ever. I don't think it's a malware issue, as I rarely ever go on the internet with it, and I've scanned it thoroughly. It's purely for video editing. I suppose there are a lot of factors going in, but one may be that I only have one 1TB HDD, and I'd like to go to some sort of SSD combo moving forward. What specs should I look for in a SSD? How should I have it set up so that Premiere Pro will run well on it? Do the source video/audio files have to be on the SSD? Or is it just the OS and programs that need to be on the boot drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

■Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
■G.SKILL Ripjaws 12GB (3 x 4GB) SDRAM DDR3 1600
■Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM
■Nvidia GTX570 Graphics Card
■ASUS P6X58-E Pro
■CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W
■Antec Nine Hundred Two v3 case

prawnsman

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Yeah I've been noticing some good deals on SSD coming up. I should also mention I'm on a low budget so upgrading graphics card is something I'd like to avoid for now. Is my current one not a very good one?

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

your current GTx 570 is good but a Tesla will make your work almost 70% faster to finish These GTx are meant for gaming so getting them for video editing isn't a good idea unless you dont mind 2-5 days of work/converting lol...