Using old hard drive for new desktop

I should start off by saying I'm new to this website, and I've never built a PC before. I've fantasised about doing it for years, but I never took the leap. I don't strictly speaking NEED one as I have a console and a laptop that take care of all my needs, but I would like a gaming desktop. That being said, this is what I was thinking of putting into it:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor - £155.72
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler - 17.99
Motherboard: ASROCK Z77 PRO4-M - 1155 - £67.70
Memory: CORSAIR 2 X 4 GB DDR3-1600 - PC3-12800 - CL9 VENGEANCE - £35.27
Storage: Samsung 1TB HN-M101MBB Spinpoint M8, 2.5", 9.5 mm, SATA II - 3Gb/s, 5400rpm, 8MB Cach - £58.78
Case: Casecom CB-191 Black Mid Tower Case - £10.18
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK Builder Series 600W Power Supply - £55.95
Optical Drive: Samsung 224BB 24x DVD Re-Writer - SATA - Black - OEM - £13.99

My question is this: instead of buying a new OS, can I take the hard drive out of my old desktop (the motherboard broke and I never got it repaired) and use that alongside everything else. It had vista installed on it, and my plan was to upgrade to windows 7/8 on that and have a hard drive dedicated to the OS, seeing as how upgrading is cheaper than getting it brand new. I don't know any details about the hard drive I'm afraid, but I'm fairly sure it was SATA. Is that plausible?

Equally, the spec I laid out above is just shy of £550, but I would ideally spend less seeing as how I would like to get a new monitor. My current one is 17" and 720p if that's relevant. I have never overclocked either, and probably won't, just in case . If I can get a worse version of something to save money and not lose much then that would be great!

Hope the post isn't too muddled and I'm asking this correctly. Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about using hard drive desktop
  1. it is micro atx mobo ASROCK Z77 PRO4-M

and you choose normal ATX case
    which one will u go with? atx or microatx?
  2. AMD Radeon said:
    it is micro atx mobo ASROCK Z77 PRO4-M

and you choose normal ATX case
    which one will u go with? atx or microatx?

I will probably go ATX. I am new to this, so I apologise for the naivety, but can it not be used in the normal case anyway?
  3. ^ you lose some additonal port/slot going with micro, and you miss getting lovable size case going with ATX

so go with ASROCK Z77 PRO4 without M letter, find it at your local website :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems