A couple of questions about the 6100

Last response: in Brands
March 9, 2005 2:47:39 PM

I'm quite new to the 6100 and I have a couple of (probably simple)
questions, if someone could help me.

1. I'm having trouble downloading wallpapers (especially ones I've made
myself) to the phone. I've tried sites that host the photos for you, and
also uploading them to my own web space. They are the correct dimensions
(128x128) and I kept the file size low. I managed to do it successfully a
couple of times, but whenever I try now, the phone tells me the image has
been successfully downloaded/saved, but when I go to view it, there's a
blank space where the photo should be and I get the message "Unable to open
file".

Anyone know a solution to this? I'd considered a data cable to transfer
images to the phone, but they're very expensive.

2. Is there a way to remove the word "Orange" which is always sitting on the
screen over my wallpaper?

--
Harry Hotspur

I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious - but I am, so that's the way
it comes out. - Bill Hicks

More about : couple questions 6100

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:18:12 AM

Harry Hotspur wrote:

> blank space where the photo should be and I get the message "Unable to open
> file".

Perhaps the phone memory if full?

> Anyone know a solution to this? I'd considered a data cable to transfer
> images to the phone, but they're very expensive.

IR dongles are much cheaper and are more flexible: you can use it on
your next phone too.

> 2. Is there a way to remove the word "Orange" which is always sitting on
> the screen over my wallpaper?

Get an operator logo.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html

"Johan Wevers" <johanw@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Perhaps the phone memory if full?

Don't think so, I deleted loads of photos and ringtones, so there should be
plenty of room.

> IR dongles are much cheaper and are more flexible: you can use it on
> your next phone too.
>
> Get an operator logo.

I'm a bit of a novice - how/where would I get an IR dongle and an operator
logo?

Many thanks for your help. :)

--
Harry Hotspur
T.T.I.D.

I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious - but I am, so that's the way
it comes out. - Bill Hicks
March 11, 2005 1:16:50 PM

Harry Hotspur wrote:

> Don't think so, I deleted loads of photos and ringtones, so there should be
> plenty of room.

Probably. Another option is a problem with the webserver. Can you get the
pictures in a browser correctly?

> I'm a bit of a novice - how/where would I get an IR dongle and an operator
> logo?

IR dongles are for sale in computer shops and in internet stores. They'll
cost about 30 euro. For an operator logo, that replaces the provider name
on the screen (at least for one provider, once you switch provider or roam
on another network you'll see the name of that provider) you can either
order one via the expensive SMS services, or have your own phone send it to
itself with software like Logomanager. If you choose a blank operator logo
you won't see it.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html
March 11, 2005 3:19:29 PM

> Probably. Another option is a problem with the webserver. Can you get the
> pictures in a browser correctly?

No, the web server's fine, the photos show up fine in IE.

> IR dongles are for sale in computer shops and in internet stores. They'll
> cost about 30 euro.

Does my phone need to have bluetooth for a dongle to work? I don't think my
6100 has bluetooth? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable.

> For an operator logo, that replaces the provider name
> on the screen (at least for one provider, once you switch provider or roam
> on another network you'll see the name of that provider) you can either
> order one via the expensive SMS services, or have your own phone send it
> itself with software like Logomanager. If you choose a blank operator logo
> you won't see it.

OK, I think I understand. I would think getting one from an SMS service
would be cheaper than buying Logomanager? Do you recommend any particular
reliable/safe SMS service? Or presumably I could make my own blank logo and
send it to my phone if I had a cable/dongle to transfer it?

--
Harry Hotspur
T.T.I.D.

I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious - but I am, so that's the way
it comes out. - Bill Hicks
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 2:50:21 AM

Harry Hotspur wrote:

> No, the web server's fine, the photos show up fine in IE.

How do you get them in the phone? Do you bookmark or type the URL to the
photo directly, or do you use a wml page? In the later case, an incorrect
webserver MIME header can cause problems.

> Does my phone need to have bluetooth for a dongle to work?

Only for a bluetooth dongle. Not for an IR (Infra Red) dongle.

> I don't think my 6100 has bluetooth?

It doesn't. But it does have IR.

> OK, I think I understand. I would think getting one from an SMS service
> would be cheaper than buying Logomanager?

Yes. However, working cracks for Logomanager exist. :-)

> Do you recommend any particular reliable/safe SMS service?

Sorry, no. I know one very unreliable here in The Netherlands, who
started sending a friend of me unsollicited expensive messages and
only stopped doing that after an angry phone call from me. I don't
even know in which coutry you live.

> Or presumably I could make my own blank logo and
> send it to my phone if I had a cable/dongle to transfer it?

Not with Nokia's standard software. That's where Logomanager comes
in. Or MobiMB for color screens, but I don't know if MobiMB does
operator logo's.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html
March 12, 2005 4:46:44 AM

> How do you get them in the phone? Do you bookmark or type the URL to the
> photo directly, or do you use a wml page? In the later case, an incorrect
> webserver MIME header can cause problems.

I uploaded them to my web space and bookmarked the URLs that went direct to
the photos.

I've now addressed all my photo problems by getting myself a fairly cheap
data cable, so I won't have to bother messing around with trying to get
things via WAP any more. :)

> Not with Nokia's standard software. That's where Logomanager comes
> in. Or MobiMB for color screens, but I don't know if MobiMB does
> operator logo's.

I've solved the blank logo problem as someone kindly posted a link to one
tonight for somebody else, and it worked for me. :)

I've got one more thing that's been bugging me if you wouldn't mind?
Whenever my mother sends a text message from her 6100, she gets a sent
message report in her inbox. My 6100 doesn't do that, so I assume there's
an option somewhere to disable this feature? I've been through all the
menus and can't seem to find any way to do it. Do you happen to know how
it's done?

--
Harry Hotspur
T.T.I.D.

I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious - but I am, so that's the way
it comes out. - Bill Hicks
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 3:33:49 PM

Harry Hotspur wrote:

> I've got one more thing that's been bugging me if you wouldn't mind?
> Whenever my mother sends a text message from her 6100, she gets a sent
> message report in her inbox. My 6100 doesn't do that, so I assume there's
> an option somewhere to disable this feature?

On my 6610i (I assume it's about the same for a 6100) I go to messages ->
message settings -> text messages -> Sending profile -> default profile
(the exact string is SIM card dependent, choose the active profile) ->
delivery reports -> setit to "yes".

Having said that, this function requires support from the provider. My
own provider doesn't support delivery reports this way at all.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html
March 13, 2005 3:29:33 PM

> On my 6610i (I assume it's about the same for a 6100) I go to messages ->
> message settings -> text messages -> Sending profile -> default profile
> (the exact string is SIM card dependent, choose the active profile) ->
> delivery reports -> setit to "yes".

Yeah, I looked there, there's no option for delivery reports there.

> Having said that, this function requires support from the provider. My
> own provider doesn't support delivery reports this way at all.

That's strange, me and my mother are on the same network, with the same
phone, yet I don't get delivery reports and she does! Oh well, never mind.

Many thanks for your patient help!

--
Harry Hotspur
T.T.I.D.