Sign in with
Your question

Steam and CPU-Z Not Detecting All Video Memory & Frame Rate Issues

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 26, 2012 11:34:42 PM

Back in October I completed my first time PC build. Not long after I realized there was problem. Steam was not detecting the full 3GB of Vram available on my Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 factory overclocked graphics card. I wrote on the Steam fourms about my problem and I was told it was something I probably might not have to worry about. That was until I installed CPU-Z, and found that it was not only failing to detect the full amount of Vram, but all other relevant graphics information with the exception of GPU name. I uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics card drivers to no success. Both Steam and CPU-Z detect 1024 MB of Vram. However, System Requirements Lab on the internet and the Catalyst Control Center do indeed detect the full 3GB of Vram. I am concerned about this, because I am not getting the performance I should be getting in certain games such as Crysis 1 (which I just bought in a Steam sale) which does not seem to very smooth but is rather a bit laggy at times but nowhere the point of being unplayable so far. Crysis 1 auto-detected High settings as opposed to Very High. I am currently playing that at 1920x1200 at Max Settings w/ 4x Anti-Ailising and no v-sync. Even Half-Life 2 in shows performance problems in Ravenholm right at the point when the player first meets Father Gregori. I have encountered other performance issues in HL2 and other source games at max settings when Anti-Ailising is cranked up to 8x and Anisotropic Filtering is maxed out to 16x. I found a some youtube videos showing Crysis 1 running at 60+ fps w/max settings on similar hardware configurations. Any help in dealing with these issues is greatly appreciated.

My specs are as follows

Intel Core i7 3770k
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB
16GB GB Corsair Vengeance LP
November 26, 2012 11:43:47 PM

Hmm ... I would say first thing is to make absolute sure you uninstalled and reinstalled the appropriate drivers. And maybe make sure your BIOS is current.

If not that, I would recommend getting in touch with Sapphire ... seems like a defective card to me. There's no reason you should be lagging at that resolution with that setup.
m
l
November 27, 2012 12:00:31 AM

Spaniard United said:
Hmm ... I would say first thing is to make absolute sure you uninstalled and reinstalled the appropriate drivers. And maybe make sure your BIOS is current.

If not that, I would recommend getting in touch with Sapphire ... seems like a defective card to me. There's no reason you should be lagging at that resolution with that setup.

Is it possible that the card could have been damaged? When I first built w/supervision, I had difficulty getting the system to POST. I had to call ASUS to troubleshoot, the tech support asked my helper and I to remove all unnecessary components. I was on the phone while my helper (who is a computer expert) removed the graphics card forgetting to unplug the computer from electricity first. I was upset at him for doing it given that damage can easily occur. However, since everything worked out in the end I let it go. That was until installed and started playing Crysis. Could damage be the culprit? If so, what do I do then?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 27, 2012 12:29:59 AM

mesopotamian said:
Is it possible that the card could have been damaged? When I first built w/supervision, I had difficulty getting the system to POST. I had to call ASUS to troubleshoot, the tech support asked my helper and I to remove all unnecessary components. I was on the phone while my helper (who is a computer expert) removed the graphics card forgetting to unplug the computer from electricity first. I was upset at him for doing it given that damage can easily occur. However, since everything worked out in the end I let it go. That was until installed and started playing Crysis. Could damage be the culprit? If so, what do I do then?

Ok when you said he removed the graphics card without unplugging the computer was the computer powered on or off? If the computer itself was powered off there would be no damage from doing that. Although I am always careful I leave my rig plug into the wall when I do work on it like that to make sure that any static is discharged thought the ground line. Of course I make double sure that the system is powered off first.

Have you checked to make sure your graphics card is using the full 16x lanes of the PCI-E bus? You can check that by right clicking on your desktop and the click AMD Vision Engine Control Center>At the bottom left click on >Information>Hardware>
Then it will give something like this
Graphics Card Manufacturer Built by AMD
Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
Device ID 6719
Vendor ID 1002
Subsystem ID 0B00
Subsystem Vendor ID 1002
Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16 >>This is what you are looking for
BIOS Version 013.008.000.009
BIOS Part Number 113-C2000100-107
BIOS Date 2010/11/24
Memory Size 2048 MB
Memory Type GDDR5
Core Clock in MHz 880 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 1375 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 176.0 GByte/s

If it says something other that x16 make sure you have your GPU in the correct PCI-E slot, check with your manual for the correct PCI-E slot.
m
l
November 27, 2012 12:56:06 AM

bryonhowley said:
Ok when you said he removed the graphics card without unplugging the computer was the computer powered on or off?

If it says something other that x16 make sure you have your GPU in the correct PCI-E slot, check with your manual for the correct PCI-E slot.

First of all I am sure that the computer was turned off when the mistake was made. My graphics card is installed in the first PCI-E 16x slot. With regards to the information provided by the Catalyst Control Center, it reports "maximum bus setting" as PCI-E 3.0 but it does not display the bus speed. I must also mention that Steam does not detect "primary bus type" in its system information panel in addition to detecting the incorrect amount of video memory. Ironically, as I mentioned in my previous post, Catalyst Control Center does detect the correct amount of Vram while Steam and CPU-Z do not. In addition CPU-Z does not detect most other GPU information. Only vram (the incorrect amount of course) and GPU name are shown.
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:25:55 AM

Do you have another video card you can get your hands on? I would be interested to see if another card displayed the correct information and worked as it should. This would help narrow down the culprit.
m
l
November 27, 2012 11:18:49 AM

Spaniard United said:
Do you have another video card you can get your hands on? I would be interested to see if another card displayed the correct information and worked as it should. This would help narrow down the culprit.

No, I do not have another video card that I could use to narrow down the culprit. I already submitted a support ticket to Sapphire and am awaiting a reply. Despite that, is it possible that there is something wrong with the PCI-E slot?
m
l
November 27, 2012 7:06:09 PM

It's a possibility. That's why I said you might want to check and make sure your BIOS is up to date. Could be as simple as that, could be a bad/failing pcie port, could be the card.

I asked about another card to see if perhaps you had a friend that would let you borrow theirs for testing and/or let you test your card on their computer.
m
l
November 28, 2012 1:24:23 AM

I just turned on the fps counter in Crysis, I am only getting 30 fps with the graphics settings and resolution I mentioned earlier. It only dips slightly when there is on screen action such as a firefight. I also contacted Sapphire, and they said that they will take a look at the card. I really do not know what to do given all of the possibilities with what the culprit could be.
m
l
!