Monitor wont work with GPU

Squashua

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
So I just got a GTX 650 Ti, when I install it into the motherboard and turn the computer back on, the monitor wont display anything - whether the monitor is plugged into the GPU OR the mobo! When I take the GPU out the screen displays fine.

My computer is a Lenovo H430 i3 3.6Ghz, 6GB DDR3. My PSU is 600W 23A.

The card is snapped into the PCI-E slot, it's the only slot on the mobo. The card requires one 6 pin connector which is connected, GPU fan is running. In the BIOS I had the computer set to use PCI-E first, then onboard second.

I've got the card in the computer now, I did that by first going into the BIOS and setting it to only use onboard graphics, then plugging the card in. Device manager does not detect it. I've tried installing the card's drivers but it wont let me install without the hardware installed.

I'm running Windows 8 (shoot me).

I have no idea what to do, I've tried googling and searching this forum, please help me out.

Xttony

Distinguished
Go to the product page on the brand's website. There must be some information about that. If you see crossfire anywhere and don't see SLI along with it then it probably your board doesn't support nVidia cards. Also if you know your motherboard's name I can try to check it.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

What no? He's running a single nVidia card and any motherboard with a PCI-E slot can run a nVidia graphics card.

Squashua

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Maybe it's my fault for not clarifying, I didn't have a video card in this computer prior, I'm not setting up two video cards. Anyway, the plot thickens:

I took the computer to the store where I bought it from, where they plugged another video card in, I'm not sure what it was, but it didn't need to be plugged into the PSU. It worked straight away, nothing needed to be installed or anything.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Try using a different cable or connection.

Xttony

Distinguished

You are wrong man for an nVidia card there is an extra chip on motherboard it may not be called SLI but I'm pretty sure it is.for example my mobo doesnot support nVidia cards gigabyte ga-ex58-ds4

Xttony

Distinguished

May be a problem with the 6 pin power connector.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

That's only for SLI (two or more nVidia cards)

Xttony

Distinguished

You Were right I connected a msi card and it worked Although the system is crashing an aweful lot of times. All these years I have been so wrong. I'm off to buy me a GTX 670? Thank you a lot.

:eek: