Sign in with
Your question
Solved

May I have some help with a proposed build please?

Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2013 1:43:32 AM

Hi all...

I very much would like your help here :) 

I wish to build a box for my TV.

One of my concerns is that I have an older video card that is new in the box and wish to see if it can be used in my proposed build?

The MAIN reason for this build is to download movies and play them directly to the TV without having to burn them to DVD. And online streaming as well.

My wife is a console gamer and I would like to get her interested in PC gaming, so this should be a very strong consideration as well. She likes to play the "Call to Duty" type games. I've already had a Steam account for 4 years, just never used the games i purchased.

My son goes to college and gets free software. He says he has no use for the Win 8 Pro that is available to him and that I can use it. So I have downloaded it and burned the ISO to disk already.

I do not have another stand alone version of Windows so I would like to use it if it can be recommended by you guys. 64bit of course.

Now... the video card is a EVGA geForce GTX 260, Core 216.

I am uncertain about a couple of things with this card.

1. I think the graphics power would be adequate, do you?

2. It has no HDMI port but I can get an adapter to convert from DVI to HDMI for 5 to 10 bucks. Would this be good enough to keep the high res that the card is capable of? Would using a DVI to HDMI adapter effect the high res output of the card?

Would there be an advantage to getting a mobo with a built in HDMI port and still use this card? Or what are my considerations here?

Actually I would prefer to get a board with an HDMI port already on it but am unsure how that would effect the use of the geForce card.

Thanks a lot for your help here guys.

Could you guys do a parts recommendation list for me to built my box based on the info in this post and using the GPU I
already have.

My budget is low, about 4 to 450$

Thank you,
John

about 15 feet away.

More about : proposed build

January 11, 2013 1:55:12 PM

Wow... I thought for sure I would have had a response by now.

Anyway, I put together the following parts list at pcpartpicker but the build is above the $450 I need to be around.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wYGL

I will have to go down on the MB and CPU. If you look at what I have selected there, you can see pretty much where I would like to be.

May I have some suggestions on the mobo and cpu downgrade please?

Thanks,
John
m
l
January 11, 2013 2:46:56 PM

Y0u are getting WAY too much CPU and motherboard. Get an i3 3220 and a $60 motherboard.

Never get a coolermaster PSU. Stick with Antec, XFX Corsair, Seasonic.

Your video card will be plenty more than enough to play 1080p videos. If your wife wants to game, throw an HD7850 in the build.

You won't need a CPU cooler because the stock one will be fine.
m
l
Related resources
January 11, 2013 2:56:17 PM

tiny voices said:
Y0u are getting WAY too much CPU and motherboard. Get an i3 3220 and a $60 motherboard.

Never get a coolermaster PSU. Stick with Antec, XFX Corsair, Seasonic.

Your video card will be plenty more than enough to play 1080p videos. If your wife wants to game, throw an HD7850 in the build.

You won't need a CPU cooler because the stock one will be fine.

Thank you very much tiny voices...

Would you please recommend a MB for that i3-3220. I do want it to have 6gb and USB 3.0's?

That HD7850 is quite pricey... does any alternatives come to mind?

Your awesome for replying, thank you,
John

PS - I chose a Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply" PSU.
PSS - Here is the list now, I just need to choose an MB... http://pcpartpicker.com/p/x2yX
m
l

Best solution

January 11, 2013 3:16:31 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h77m

You could go with a 7770 but at 1080p resolution you will be looking at lowered settings. Probably like medium settings in recent games and maybe high settings in games a year or two old.
January 11, 2013 3:46:52 PM

Best answer selected by pede69.
m
l
January 11, 2013 3:49:11 PM

tiny voices said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h77m

You could go with a 7770 but at 1080p resolution you will be looking at lowered settings. Probably like medium settings in recent games and maybe high settings in games a year or two old.

Awesome... I like that mobo. Everything I wanted on a board.

I do not see any type of CPU heat sink on the pic of the board. You still think I will not need a cooler or is the board fine the way it is?

Thanks,
John
m
l
January 11, 2013 3:52:31 PM

The CPU comes with a cooler.
m
l
January 11, 2013 3:55:20 PM

tiny voices said:
The CPU comes with a cooler.

Awesome...