Solved

Need rig specs that can run BF3 on max settings.

So, I've really been wanting to build a computer. My Current setup isn't that bad since most of the games I play are Source games, but I want to play BF3.
I have no budget limit in mind but I don't want to overclock either.

My setup is the following:
RAM: 3 GB
Video Card: GeForce 8400 GS
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Hard Drive: 500 GB
Mother Board: AN52S

I need the following suggested parts with links please:
New Monitor
Case
Video Card
RAM
Hard Drive: I'm sure I'll go TB for storage
Mother Board

Thank You. :)
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need specs settings
  1. Need budget before we can suggest parts. Also you don't need to waste money on Windows 7 Ultimate - get a Home Premium license and spend the difference on upgrading the GPU.
  2. g-unit1111 said:
    Need budget before we can suggest parts. Also you don't need to waste money on Windows 7 Ultimate - get a Home Premium license and spend the difference on upgrading the GPU.

Well I don't have a set price range, It doesn't really matter but I guess between $1500-$2500.

And I want Ultimate so that my XP discs are still compatible with my computer.
  3. Best answer
    Quote:

If you have a reason to get Ultimate that's one thing - but Pro should handle everything that Ultimate does, I run several XP legacy programs off my copy.

For $1500 here's what I would suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.25 @ Newegg)
    Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($389.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1772.01
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-11 00:07 EST-0500)

Then add whatever monitor, OS and anything else you need. Peripherals like monitors and keyboards and mice are personal preference items - I leave that out in the open.
  4. xp disks are still compatible? do you need monitors?
  5. g-unit1111 said:
    Quote:

If you have a reason to get Ultimate that's one thing - but Pro should handle everything that Ultimate does, I run several XP legacy programs off my copy.

For $1500 here's what I would suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($80.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($192.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.25 @ Newegg)
    Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1772.01
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-11 00:07 EST-0500)

Then add whatever monitor, OS and anything else you need. Peripherals like monitors and keyboards and mice are personal preference items - I leave that out in the open.

I guess I can downgrade to Pro, I didn't really look at what was different and it's not much, just file security and language change.
  6. jonjonjon said:
    xp disks are still compatible? do you need monitors?

With Window 7 Pro and Ultimate XP discs are still compatible.
    Also, yes I would like monitor suggestions.
  7. i still don't have a clue what compatible means? what does windows 7 have to do with xp cd? are going to dual boot? you can download windows xp mode for free and run it in a virtual machine. but i'm confused what windows xp cd's being compatible means.
  8. jonjonjon said:
    i still don't have a clue what compatible means? what does windows 7 have to do with xp cd? are going to dual boot? you can download windows xp mode for free and run it in a virtual machine. but i'm confused what windows xp cd's being compatible means.

I mean as in software CD's like games that can only be run with XP unless you have Pro or Ultimate.
  9. are you sure compatibility mode is only available on ultimate? i have ultimate installed so i can't check but i'm pretty sure its in all windows 7 versions. i'm almost considering installing windows 7 home in a vm to check because that just seems ridiculous.
  10. I would go with g-unites build but I would pick a GTX 690 instead of two 670s. Less heat, less power needed, same performance, and you can always sli in the future. Or you can go with a couple pre clocked 680s. Also you wont be needing a Noctua and I'd rather get a gold certified PSU and 1866 speed ram.
  11. there is no need for 1866 memory and a 690 is more $200+ more.
  12. 1866 is faster. He will be saving by getting a smaller power supply, not needing to spend extra on better fans or focus on cooling and his power bill will be cheaper.
  13. Best answer selected by Xerostyle992.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Battlefield Systems Product