Ideal DSLR

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 17, 2005 4:10:49 AM

I have a Canon EOS 10D, which I am slowly learning to love. Slowly,
because it has taken me two years to learn to deal with the narrow
dynamic range. I am finally achieving a systematic approach to
avoiding blown highlights. Still, I want a better camera.

I want a camera with wider exposure latitude than the 10D. Latitude
along the lines of a decent quality slide film would be plenty;
latitude similar to that of color negative film would be even better,
but not necessary. Battery life should be improved. As it stands now,
my film cameras require one set of batteries and five rolls of film for
a good day of shooting; my 10D requires just one 2GB CF card, but about
five fully charged batteries. A full-frame sensor, though not
absolutely necessary, would certainly be a welcome feature. A sensor
somewhere in the vicinity of 8-10 megapixels would be sufficient for my
needs. I would also want all this in a camera the size of the 10D. I
could get most of what I am looking for in a 1Ds, but I don't want to
lug an anchor around all day. The 10D seems to have enough heft to
give it a quality feel without being prohibitively cumbersome.

I imagine that the camera I'm looking fo will become available as the
successor to whatever camera succeeds the 20D. Oh, one last thing -
the camera should cost less than $1500 USD.

Michael

More about : ideal dslr

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 5:38:40 AM

michael.j.hoffman@att.net wrote:
> I have a Canon EOS 10D, which I am slowly learning to love. Slowly,
> because it has taken me two years to learn to deal with the narrow
> dynamic range. I am finally achieving a systematic approach to
> avoiding blown highlights. Still, I want a better camera.
>
> I want a camera with wider exposure latitude than the 10D. Latitude
> along the lines of a decent quality slide film would be plenty;
> latitude similar to that of color negative film would be even better,
> but not necessary. Battery life should be improved. As it stands now,
> my film cameras require one set of batteries and five rolls of film for
> a good day of shooting; my 10D requires just one 2GB CF card, but about
> five fully charged batteries. A full-frame sensor, though not
> absolutely necessary, would certainly be a welcome feature. A sensor
> somewhere in the vicinity of 8-10 megapixels would be sufficient for my
> needs. I would also want all this in a camera the size of the 10D. I
> could get most of what I am looking for in a 1Ds, but I don't want to
> lug an anchor around all day. The 10D seems to have enough heft to
> give it a quality feel without being prohibitively cumbersome.
>
> I imagine that the camera I'm looking fo will become available as the
> successor to whatever camera succeeds the 20D. Oh, one last thing -
> the camera should cost less than $1500 USD.

I agree with most of that. I'm using a Pentax *istD now, and will
probably stick with Pentax, but I hope...next time out of the box,
maybe...they use a full frame (or nearly so) 12 MP sensor; keep the
four AA batteries (I get about 700 to 800 shots per charge right now,
or I can drop in the CV3s(?) and get 1400 or more, though the cost of
18 bucks with tax hurts my Scots ancestors); increase size of the jog
switch; add a changeable focusing screen and come out with split image
and grainier screens; leave the size as is, though it's not all that
important to me; keep the Compact Flash card use. Ditch the on-camera
flash. Add larger strap lugs.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 10:01:36 AM

<michael.j.hoffman@att.net> wrote in message
>I have a Canon EOS 10D, which I am slowly learning to love. Slowly,
> because it has taken me two years to learn to deal with the narrow
> dynamic range. I am finally achieving a systematic approach to
> avoiding blown highlights. Still, I want a better camera.
>
> I want a camera with wider exposure latitude than the 10D. Latitude
> along the lines of a decent quality slide film would be plenty;
> latitude similar to that of color negative film would be even better,
> but not necessary. Battery life should be improved. As it stands now,
> my film cameras require one set of batteries and five rolls of film for
> a good day of shooting; my 10D requires just one 2GB CF card, but about
> five fully charged batteries. A full-frame sensor, though not
> absolutely necessary, would certainly be a welcome feature. A sensor
> somewhere in the vicinity of 8-10 megapixels would be sufficient for my
> needs. I would also want all this in a camera the size of the 10D. I
> could get most of what I am looking for in a 1Ds, but I don't want to
> lug an anchor around all day. The 10D seems to have enough heft to
> give it a quality feel without being prohibitively cumbersome.
>
> I imagine that the camera I'm looking fo will become available as the
> successor to whatever camera succeeds the 20D. Oh, one last thing -
> the camera should cost less than $1500 USD.
>
> Michael

Indeed, it sounds like you should wait for the 20D successor. I have the
grip on my 20D, and I've filled a 2G and most of a 1G at one sitting without
changing batteries, my wife has done the same with hers with no grip, and
got into a second battery. In fact, since you say a full frame sensor isn't
absolutely necessary, the 20D is there, now.
I'm not sure why your 10D would use that much battery. We both use IS
lenses most of the time, or did in the instances mentioned.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

In article <1121584249.689495.24300@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<michael.j.hoffman@att.net> wrote:

> I have a Canon EOS 10D, which I am slowly learning to love. Slowly,
> because it has taken me two years to learn to deal with the narrow
> dynamic range. I am finally achieving a systematic approach to
> avoiding blown highlights. Still, I want a better camera.
>
> I want a camera with wider exposure latitude than the 10D. Latitude
> along the lines of a decent quality slide film would be plenty;
> latitude similar to that of color negative film would be even better,
> but not necessary. Battery life should be improved. As it stands now,
> my film cameras require one set of batteries and five rolls of film for
> a good day of shooting; my 10D requires just one 2GB CF card, but about
> five fully charged batteries. A full-frame sensor, though not
> absolutely necessary, would certainly be a welcome feature. A sensor
> somewhere in the vicinity of 8-10 megapixels would be sufficient for my
> needs. I would also want all this in a camera the size of the 10D. I
> could get most of what I am looking for in a 1Ds, but I don't want to
> lug an anchor around all day. The 10D seems to have enough heft to
> give it a quality feel without being prohibitively cumbersome.
>
> I imagine that the camera I'm looking fo will become available as the
> successor to whatever camera succeeds the 20D. Oh, one last thing -
> the camera should cost less than $1500 USD.

I love my 10D. But it sounds like you're shooting JPGs. Try RAW and
you'll have much better luck.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 1:19:39 PM

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 00:10:49 -0700, michael.j.hoffman wrote:

> I have a Canon EOS 10D, which I am slowly learning to love. Slowly,
> because it has taken me two years to learn to deal with the narrow dynamic
> range. I am finally achieving a systematic approach to avoiding blown
> highlights. Still, I want a better camera.
>
> I want a camera with wider exposure latitude than the 10D. Latitude along
> the lines of a decent quality slide film would be plenty; latitude similar
> to that of color negative film would be even better, but not necessary.
> Battery life should be improved. As it stands now, my film cameras
> require one set of batteries and five rolls of film for a good day of
> shooting; my 10D requires just one 2GB CF card, but about five fully
> charged batteries. A full-frame sensor, though not absolutely necessary,
> would certainly be a welcome feature. A sensor somewhere in the vicinity
> of 8-10 megapixels would be sufficient for my needs. I would also want
> all this in a camera the size of the 10D. I could get most of what I am
> looking for in a 1Ds, but I don't want to lug an anchor around all day.
> The 10D seems to have enough heft to give it a quality feel without being
> prohibitively cumbersome.
>
> I imagine that the camera I'm looking fo will become available as the
> successor to whatever camera succeeds the 20D. Oh, one last thing - the
> camera should cost less than $1500 USD.

Unitl such time as such a camera exists, you'll have to do what film
photographers have had to do all along: shoot when the scene contrast
matches (or is less than) the film's contrast range or modify the scene
contrast by using scrims, gobos or fill flash. But I think it's going to
be a long time before a such a DSLR exists, if ever. And is reasonably
affordable.

After all, photography is and always has been a series of compromises,
whether it's the art itself or the hardware.

Stefan
July 17, 2005 1:57:13 PM

<michael.j.hoffman@att.net> wrote in message
>I have a Canon EOS 10D, which I am slowly learning to love. Slowly,
> because it has taken me two years to learn to deal with the narrow
> dynamic range. I am finally achieving a systematic approach to
> avoiding blown highlights. Still, I want a better camera.
>
> I want a camera with wider exposure latitude than the 10D. Latitude
> along the lines of a decent quality slide film would be plenty;
> latitude similar to that of color negative film would be even better,
> but not necessary. Battery life should be improved. As it stands now,
> my film cameras require one set of batteries and five rolls of film for
> a good day of shooting; my 10D requires just one 2GB CF card, but about
> five fully charged batteries. A full-frame sensor, though not
> absolutely necessary, would certainly be a welcome feature. A sensor
> somewhere in the vicinity of 8-10 megapixels would be sufficient for my
> needs. I would also want all this in a camera the size of the 10D. I
> could get most of what I am looking for in a 1Ds, but I don't want to
> lug an anchor around all day. The 10D seems to have enough heft to
> give it a quality feel without being prohibitively cumbersome.
>
> I imagine that the camera I'm looking fo will become available as the
> successor to whatever camera succeeds the 20D. Oh, one last thing -
> the camera should cost less than $1500 USD.
>
> Michael

I'm also a 10D user, I don't consider the 20D a cost effective upgrade
(others may). At present my choice would be the 1D MkII but too expensive at
present.
I'd like to see the digital equivalent of the EOS3, good metering incl multi
spot, good AF with many points etc in a 'no-pro' body. Maybe the 30D or 40D
(or what ever follows the 20D) or maybe the 1D MkIII / IV will be cost
effective.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:15:18 PM

Can the 10D be outfitted with a battery grip? That would solve one of your
problems at least

~J

> Indeed, it sounds like you should wait for the 20D successor. I have the
> grip on my 20D, and I've filled a 2G and most of a 1G at one sitting without
> changing batteries, my wife has done the same with hers with no grip, and
> got into a second battery. In fact, since you say a full frame sensor isn't
> absolutely necessary, the 20D is there, now.
> I'm not sure why your 10D would use that much battery. We both use IS
> lenses most of the time, or did in the instances mentioned.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 4:24:19 PM

On 17 Jul 2005 00:10:49 -0700, michael.j.hoffman@att.net wrote:
>A full-frame sensor, though not absolutely necessary, would
>certainly be a welcome feature.

I've never seen anything magical about the 35mm frame size, so
as long as I can get the quality I need and the angles of view
I want, any ol' sensor size is fine with me.

> Battery life should be improved.

If you wish to become as rich as Bill Gates, all you have to do
is figure out a way to quadruple battery energy density at even
double the cost of current technology.

--
Michael Benveniste -- mhb-offer@clearether.com
July 17, 2005 7:24:57 PM

michael.j.hoffman@att.net wrote:
> I have a Canon EOS 10D, which I am slowly learning to love. Slowly,
> because it has taken me two years to learn to deal with the narrow
> dynamic range. I am finally achieving a systematic approach to
> avoiding blown highlights. Still, I want a better camera.
>
> I want a camera with wider exposure latitude than the 10D. Latitude
> along the lines of a decent quality slide film would be plenty;
> latitude similar to that of color negative film would be even better,
> but not necessary. Battery life should be improved. As it stands now,
> my film cameras require one set of batteries and five rolls of film for
> a good day of shooting; my 10D requires just one 2GB CF card, but about
> five fully charged batteries. A full-frame sensor, though not
> absolutely necessary, would certainly be a welcome feature. A sensor
> somewhere in the vicinity of 8-10 megapixels would be sufficient for my
> needs. I would also want all this in a camera the size of the 10D. I
> could get most of what I am looking for in a 1Ds, but I don't want to
> lug an anchor around all day. The 10D seems to have enough heft to
> give it a quality feel without being prohibitively cumbersome.
>
> I imagine that the camera I'm looking fo will become available as the
> successor to whatever camera succeeds the 20D. Oh, one last thing -
> the camera should cost less than $1500 USD.
>
> Michael

I don't know how well FujiFilm's S3 doing in real life, but it's Super
CCD SR used in dSLR has low sensitive sensors mixed in large sensors to
capture highlights.

I don't know what is the difference between SR and HR. But I think the
HR is used in P&S cameras with some large sensors mixed in the normal
small sensors to increase ISO.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 8:12:45 PM

In message <1121584249.689495.24300@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
michael.j.hoffman@att.net wrote:

>I have a Canon EOS 10D, which I am slowly learning to love. Slowly,
>because it has taken me two years to learn to deal with the narrow
>dynamic range. I am finally achieving a systematic approach to
>avoiding blown highlights. Still, I want a better camera.
>
>I want a camera with wider exposure latitude than the 10D.

The 10D's exposure latitude is about the same as any other DSLR at ISO
100; it is limited by the standard 12-bit digitization, and noise is a
small player at ISO 100.

The problem with the 10D is that it meters with an implicit +2/3
exposure compensation, above and beyond what the EC setting of the
camera is. When you set it to ISO 100, it is metering for ISO 64. So,
when you get that white fluffy cloud, or that bright white shirt or
blouse, or egret, against a mostly darker background, they will blow
out. You should use negative exposure compensation when you have such
scenes.

Also. if you shoot JPEG only, you should decrease the contrast setting.
At -2, you get almost an extra stop of highlights in the JPEG.

>Latitude
>along the lines of a decent quality slide film would be plenty;

It's already there, you just have to know how to find it.

>latitude similar to that of color negative film would be even better,

That would require a high-quality 16-bit digitization in the camera. I
don't know when we'll see that.

--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 12:14:51 AM

Yes, it can...

--

"J~Wind" <jwindhall@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Can the 10D be outfitted with a battery grip? That would solve one of your
> problems at least
>
> ~J
>

>> Indeed, it sounds like you should wait for the 20D successor. I have the
>> grip on my 20D, and I've filled a 2G and most of a 1G at one sitting
>> without
>> changing batteries, my wife has done the same with hers with no grip, and
>> got into a second battery. In fact, since you say a full frame sensor
>> isn't
>> absolutely necessary, the 20D is there, now.
>> I'm not sure why your 10D would use that much battery. We both use IS
>> lenses most of the time, or did in the instances mentioned.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:54:39 AM

As another poster points out, higher dynamic range can be achieved with
the Fujifilm S2 and S3 due to their unique sensor design. This would
cover a lot more than slide film latitude ... more like negative.

However, AFAIK, Fujifilm cameras are only available with a Nikon mount.

Cheers,
Alan
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:17:17 PM

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 00:10:49 -0700, michael.j.hoffman wrote:

> I have a Canon EOS 10D, which I am slowly learning to love. Slowly,
> because it has taken me two years to learn to deal with the narrow dynamic
> range. I am finally achieving a systematic approach to avoiding blown
> highlights. Still, I want a better camera.
>
> I want a camera with wider exposure latitude than the 10D. Latitude along
> the lines of a decent quality slide film would be plenty; latitude similar
> to that of color negative film would be even better, but not necessary.
> Battery life should be improved. As it stands now, my film cameras
> require one set of batteries and five rolls of film for a good day of
> shooting; my 10D requires just one 2GB CF card, but about five fully
> charged batteries. A full-frame sensor, though not absolutely necessary,
> would certainly be a welcome feature. A sensor somewhere in the vicinity
> of 8-10 megapixels would be sufficient for my needs. I would also want
> all this in a camera the size of the 10D. I could get most of what I am
> looking for in a 1Ds, but I don't want to lug an anchor around all day.
> The 10D seems to have enough heft to give it a quality feel without being
> prohibitively cumbersome.
>
> I imagine that the camera I'm looking fo will become available as the
> successor to whatever camera succeeds the 20D. Oh, one last thing - the
> camera should cost less than $1500 USD.
>
> Michael

My ideal DSLR looks and feels exactly the same as a Nikon F100.

It should have a full frame sensor and a 100m wireless transmission
capability built in. It should also be able to meter with every Nikon lens
ever made.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 7:31:21 PM

Alan Browne <alan1browne@hotmail.com> wrote:
> As another poster points out, higher dynamic range can be achieved
> with the Fujifilm S2 and S3 due to their unique sensor design. This
> would cover a lot more than slide film latitude ... more like
> negative.

It would be interesting to see if this really were the case. The
dpreview.com test at
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms3pro/page18.as... suggests that
it might be, but a real 16-bit linear comparison (with no NR applied!)
is needed to know for sure.

Andrew.
!