Sign in with
Your question

Fx 8350 upgrade or not FULL DETAILS BELOW

Last response: in Systems
January 3, 2013 1:37:16 PM

Wanting to upgrade due to bottlenecks when gaming within my current system, so upgrade wise would this be worth it

My current system
q9550@3.4ghz
8gb Crucial 1333@8-8-8-21
p5e3
2X 560ti msi hawk in sli - modded drivers

Upgrade system
fx8350@4.4ghz
32gb ram 1600 @8-8-8-21
ASus Sabertooth 990fx rev 2
2x560ti msi hawk in sli

I am a hdd fanboy so dont recommend ssd's i dont trust them yet so i will be installing this all on a Momentus xt 500gb

Any ideas on other motherboards, parts ect and whether this is worth spending £350, will i see a massive difference
January 3, 2013 1:42:13 PM

Gaming... AMD? yeah, don't bother.

Just get a 3570k. Is there a specific reason you need 32GB of RAM? Most games are 32-bit, so can only use 4GB (in a 64-bit OS) anyway. Generally 8GB is fine for gaming machines and 16GB if you want to go a little overboard. So unless you have some specific use for 32GB it's probably a waste.

Also, if you go with the 3570k you can use a 60GB SSD and a 3.5" spinning disk under SRT. You'll see the advantages in load times on most of your data and boot times, but also all your data is stored on the spinning disk like in the hybrid setup if the laptop oriented drive you mentioned (only you have 60GB of cache instead of 4GB).

January 3, 2013 1:46:54 PM

stevot1995 said:
Wanting to upgrade due to bottlenecks when gaming within my current system, so upgrade wise would this be worth it

My current system
q9550@3.4ghz
p5e3

Upgrade system
fx8350@4.4ghz
32gb ram 1600 @8-8-8-21
2x560ti msi hawk in sli

I am a hdd fanboy so dont recommend ssd's i dont trust them yet so i will be installing this all on a Momentus xt 500gb

Any ideas on other motherboards, parts ect and whether this is worth spending £350, will i see a massive difference

You should see a difference , I have the same CPU BOARD COMBO WITH 16 gb ram , It's a very good combo .
Related resources
January 3, 2013 1:54:57 PM

What motherboard +cpu combination would you recommend for Intel?

SRT - i can be honest i hadnt heard of propper ssd caching only readyboosting which i know would be a waste of a ssd
January 3, 2013 2:03:09 PM

Thank you for this- please answer question i asked- What motherboard to use for that 1155 intel?
January 3, 2013 2:55:21 PM

stevot1995 said:

My current system
q9550@3.4ghz
p5e3

Upgrade system
fx8350@4.4ghz
32gb ram 1600 @8-8-8-21
2x560ti msi hawk in sli

Hey stevot1995,
First of all, the configuration you suggested is a very good one. I personally own the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and it's one of the best motherboards I've ever had. It's also paired with 16GB of DDR3 1600 and it's smoking fast.
The more RAM you have, the better - trust me, I even got to use 12GB of RAM with After Effects alone and I was really thankful to have 4GB left for my Chrome, FF and maybe a game while working with After Effects.
The CPU you chose is a good choice - yes, the 3570K performs better but not always - in video editing and conversions andstuff like that, the FX-8350 smokes the 3570K and gets closer to the i7 3770K.
Don't listen to people saying you won't find applications/games using more than 4GB of RAM because they're dead wrong.
There are games and applications that can take up more than 4GB of RAM.
I don't own the 8350 yet, but I would definitely recommend it to any of my friends.
Now, if you go the AMD route, your configuration is perfect.
If you choose to go the "fanboy fashion" way, then go with the i5 3570K and another ASUS motherboard with support for USB 3.0, SATA 3...
Going with Intel would mean you change the motherboard and the CPU, but keep something in mind though: Intel changes its sockets each and every time they release a new set of CPUs - which mens that if you would ever like to upgrade an agin Intel computer, you would most likely have to buy another motherboard too, thus adding to the final cost and affecting how much that upgrade is worth in the end.
AMD will still release AM3+ based CPUs which means that even if you get a completely new CPU, your motherboard will most likely support it. I enjoy this benefit right now as I'm using a Phenom II X4 released years ago and I can still upgrade to AMD's latest and greatest - which is the FX8350.
I am not on anyone's side, but I thought I'd present you the situation a bit and well, your final choice is yours - Intel or AMD, be it either the first or the second, you will NOT be disappointed in any way.
January 3, 2013 4:31:32 PM

3ogdy said:
Don't listen to people saying you won't find applications/games using more than 4GB of RAM because they're dead wrong.
There are games and applications that can take up more than 4GB of RAM.

Maybe if you would learn to read I said specifically that most games run 32-bit in which case they can not use more than 4GB of RAM, not that no applications or games can. Talk about 'fanboy' . . .

Also, the OP specifically asked for a gaming machine. In which case you may as well throw AMD out the window these days. If they had of asked for a budget raytracing machine that can also play a game or two, then sure the AMD will shine there, but if the primary purpose is gaming then the 3570K will beat the AMD in pretty much every single game, every single time.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=701&i=505...

The reason the 3570k is the fanboy fashion is it simply destroys everything AMD has to offer in gaming. Up to 41% faster in the benchmark set I linked. Since the price is similar (30 bucks or so) for up to 40% faster in games on a gaming rig, that's just too good to pass up.

As for the OP, the motherboard choice if you want to go with SRT for SSD caching you'll probably want to stick with a Z77 based motherboard. I grabbed a combo deal that came with a 3570k and Z77 motherboard (a Gigabyte in my case). It's probably more of a personal preference on feature set. It was similar to this http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=71588&vpn=Z77A-GD65%2... though.
January 10, 2013 5:30:26 PM

Traciatim said:
Maybe if you would learn to read I said specifically that most games run 32-bit in which case they can not use more than 4GB of RAM, not that no applications or games can. Talk about 'fanboy' . . .

Also, the OP specifically asked for a gaming machine. In which case you may as well throw AMD out the window these days. If they had of asked for a budget raytracing machine that can also play a game or two, then sure the AMD will shine there, but if the primary purpose is gaming then the 3570K will beat the AMD in pretty much every single game, every single time.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=701&i=505...

The reason the 3570k is the fanboy fashion is it simply destroys everything AMD has to offer in gaming. Up to 41% faster in the benchmark set I linked. Since the price is similar (30 bucks or so) for up to 40% faster in games on a gaming rig, that's just too good to pass up.

As for the OP, the motherboard choice if you want to go with SRT for SSD caching you'll probably want to stick with a Z77 based motherboard. I grabbed a combo deal that came with a 3570k and Z77 motherboard (a Gigabyte in my case). It's probably more of a personal preference on feature set. It was similar to this http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=71588&vpn=Z77A-GD65%2... though.

AMD for Gaming works just fine. I have an old Phenom II Quad Core 3.0Ghz paired with an MSI890FXa-GD65 motherboard, N580GTX Lightning Extreme GPU, Samsung 840 250GB, and 8GB of RAM. I can play all my games nearly maxed out. BF3 runs like a dream in MP with almost everything on Ultra. Never a hiccup and my FPS is usually around 50-60-70-80 FPS. Yes the Intel is the king of CPUS's and rules all benchmarks, but who cares about benchmarks as long as you can play your games at nearly max settings, and more than playable FPS. I have an FX-8350 coming in the mail today to replace my old Quad Core. I would rather save a few bucks than worry about a minute difference in FPS from using Intel. Im no AMD fanboy by any means, but to say that AMD is bad for gaming is insane! Intel just happens to be a little better and I'm fine with that.
January 10, 2013 5:52:55 PM

stevot1995 said:
What motherboard +cpu combination would you recommend for Intel?

SRT - i can be honest i hadnt heard of propper ssd caching only readyboosting which i know would be a waste of a ssd

An MSI Z77A-GD55 for £101, with a Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E for £52 and lastly a Intel Core i5-3570k for £162 bringing you snug under your £350 budget.

Alternatively you could get Intel Core i7-3770K for £247, get a slightly worse motherboard and get a cheaper CPU cooler.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2013 4:37:10 AM

PC Format recently ran a AMD budget showdown for gaming systems delivering copious performance at a miserly budget compared to the most expensive Intel rig money can buy.

General difference is 25-40% performance but at nearly 10x the cost which doesn't represent good value for money.

If you want AMD I have tested and have a few budget setups.

A10-5800K/ASrock A85 x6/HD7850/G.Skill Tridents 2400. Games everything on maxed settings over 50FPS on BF3 with AA set at 4x.

FX6200/MSI-990FX GD80/G.Skill RipjawsZ 1866/HD7870.

FX8350/ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z/HD7950/G.Skill Tridents 2400

While yes Intel gives you better performance you can still save buck and get tremendous performance without having to take out a loan.
January 11, 2013 4:50:15 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
!