What's wrong with MSI Readon HD 7770?

Just bought a MSI R7770 1gb from frys at 109.00 with 40 bucks rebate. I saw huge amount of open resale on the rack, is there any problem with this card? I don't understand. And I know the prices seems wrong though, anybody bought the card and actually found any issues with it? cuz I gotonly 15 days to return it. thx
12 answers Last reply
More about what wrong readon 7770
  1. Give it a try and see if you have any issues. However, I don't expect any.
  2. That price is normal
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687

Reviews are positive, there doesn't seem to be an issue with the model. I wouldn't worry about it.
  3. I upgraded from my gts 250 to this, and expected a performance boost by 2 times, and I just test it with 3dmark, it only increased the performance by a bit more than 1 time.
    Testing platform:
    AMD Phanom II X4 810
    4G kingstom 1033 ddr3
    gts250 score: 2919
    MSI G7770 score: 6604
    I was expecting above 7500. I guess can't expect much from a cheapo.
    I'm planning to upgrade my cpu to FX series and buy a new motherboard with it. Maybe FX8250 or FX6300. I guess this cheapo doesn't deserve to pair up with FX8250. Any suggestions guys? I just saw some cheap AM3+ socket motherboards from gigabytes and MSI, do they really support FX? I read some reviews that say it doesn't.
  4. 3dMark is a synthetic, IE mostly irrelevant for comparing different cards. The difference in 3dMark isn't quite the difference in real-world performance. Still, you may have been a little overly optimistic about the performance improvement.

If you're upgrading your motherboard, then you'd probably be better off getting either an Intel setup with a dirt cheap board and multiplier-locked i5 or a decent AM3+ motherboard and an FX-6300. I'd recommend the former.

I'm not aware of any AM3+ board that doesn't support FX,although some may be limited to FX-x1xx/x2xx (Bulldozer) models and not support the FX-x3xx (Piledriver) models. However, I'd expect this to be fixed with a BIOS update on most such boards.
  5. blazorthon said:
    3dMark is a synthetic, IE mostly irrelevant for comparing different cards. The difference in 3dMark isn't quite the difference in real-world performance. Still, you may have been a little overly optimistic about the performance improvement.

If you're upgrading your motherboard, then you'd probably be better off getting either an Intel setup with a dirt cheap board and multiplier-locked i5 or a decent AM3+ motherboard and an FX-6300. I'd recommend the former.

I'm not aware of any AM3+ board that doesn't support FX,although some may be limited to FX-x1xx/x2xx (Bulldozer) models and not support the FX-x3xx (Piledriver) models. However, I'd expect this to be fixed with a BIOS update on most such boards.

why is that? you mean it's a bad idea to get a cheap am3+ motherboard around 50 bucks with FX-6300 is a bad idea? I guess microATX board is okay since I'm only using 1 video card, and my case is pretty good at cooling.
  6. Price of the board is not important. Just look up any board that you consider buying to check its CPU support.
  7. blazorthon said:
    Price of the board is not important. Just look up any board that you consider buying to check its CPU support.

Yeah, cuz you said a decent board, which means more expensive board to me. Lol....
  8. Well, yes, but with a cheaper CPU (FX-6300) to balance that out if you go for the AMD option.
  9. blazorthon said:
    Well, yes, but with a cheaper CPU (FX-6300) to balance that out if you go for the AMD option.

So a FX-6300 + a MicroATX board is good enough for a budget build right?

And BTW, have you ever had this problem?
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/380078-33-problem-card-software
  10. Yeah, it'd be fine.

That issue seems like a simple memory issue. I wouldn't worry about it. If it's anything more than just running into a memory capacity bottle-neck, then an RMA should solve the problem.
  11. Thanks for the replies.
  12. Glad to help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon HD Graphics Product MSI-Microstar