Sign in with
Your question

What's wrong with MSI Readon HD 7770?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 27, 2012 3:22:22 AM

Just bought a MSI R7770 1gb from frys at 109.00 with 40 bucks rebate. I saw huge amount of open resale on the rack, is there any problem with this card? I don't understand. And I know the prices seems wrong though, anybody bought the card and actually found any issues with it? cuz I gotonly 15 days to return it. thx

More about : wrong msi readon 7770

November 27, 2012 3:31:29 AM

Give it a try and see if you have any issues. However, I don't expect any.
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2012 4:33:24 AM

I upgraded from my gts 250 to this, and expected a performance boost by 2 times, and I just test it with 3dmark, it only increased the performance by a bit more than 1 time.
Testing platform:
AMD Phanom II X4 810
4G kingstom 1033 ddr3
gts250 score: 2919
MSI G7770 score: 6604
I was expecting above 7500. I guess can't expect much from a cheapo.
I'm planning to upgrade my cpu to FX series and buy a new motherboard with it. Maybe FX8250 or FX6300. I guess this cheapo doesn't deserve to pair up with FX8250. Any suggestions guys? I just saw some cheap AM3+ socket motherboards from gigabytes and MSI, do they really support FX? I read some reviews that say it doesn't.
m
l
November 27, 2012 4:40:56 AM

3dMark is a synthetic, IE mostly irrelevant for comparing different cards. The difference in 3dMark isn't quite the difference in real-world performance. Still, you may have been a little overly optimistic about the performance improvement.

If you're upgrading your motherboard, then you'd probably be better off getting either an Intel setup with a dirt cheap board and multiplier-locked i5 or a decent AM3+ motherboard and an FX-6300. I'd recommend the former.

I'm not aware of any AM3+ board that doesn't support FX,although some may be limited to FX-x1xx/x2xx (Bulldozer) models and not support the FX-x3xx (Piledriver) models. However, I'd expect this to be fixed with a BIOS update on most such boards.
m
l
November 28, 2012 4:25:07 AM

blazorthon said:
3dMark is a synthetic, IE mostly irrelevant for comparing different cards. The difference in 3dMark isn't quite the difference in real-world performance. Still, you may have been a little overly optimistic about the performance improvement.

If you're upgrading your motherboard, then you'd probably be better off getting either an Intel setup with a dirt cheap board and multiplier-locked i5 or a decent AM3+ motherboard and an FX-6300. I'd recommend the former.

I'm not aware of any AM3+ board that doesn't support FX,although some may be limited to FX-x1xx/x2xx (Bulldozer) models and not support the FX-x3xx (Piledriver) models. However, I'd expect this to be fixed with a BIOS update on most such boards.

why is that? you mean it's a bad idea to get a cheap am3+ motherboard around 50 bucks with FX-6300 is a bad idea? I guess microATX board is okay since I'm only using 1 video card, and my case is pretty good at cooling.
m
l
November 28, 2012 12:13:57 PM

Price of the board is not important. Just look up any board that you consider buying to check its CPU support.
m
l
November 28, 2012 8:03:33 PM

blazorthon said:
Price of the board is not important. Just look up any board that you consider buying to check its CPU support.

Yeah, cuz you said a decent board, which means more expensive board to me. Lol....
m
l
November 29, 2012 7:17:53 AM

Well, yes, but with a cheaper CPU (FX-6300) to balance that out if you go for the AMD option.
m
l
December 4, 2012 5:59:51 PM

Yeah, it'd be fine.

That issue seems like a simple memory issue. I wouldn't worry about it. If it's anything more than just running into a memory capacity bottle-neck, then an RMA should solve the problem.
m
l
December 11, 2012 1:55:38 AM

Thanks for the replies.
m
l
December 11, 2012 5:38:26 PM

Glad to help.
m
l
!