Sign in with
Your question

SSD install in new store bought pc

Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2013 12:33:38 PM

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new computer but am not looking for anything too fancy. I am not a gamer, but I do like to edit HD video and use my system as a media server. My question is, can I add an SSD to a store bought/prebuilt system as the primary drive without having to purchase a copy of windows? If my memory serves correctly, the recovery disk will work because it is matched to the motherboard and not the drive itself. I saw an SSD pc once and was fascinated by the quick start up speed.
January 11, 2013 12:51:35 PM

It is locked to the MOBO, it should come with some sort of Windows key even if it is OEM or I believe there are programs to fetch it out of Windows. You may have to find a physical copy of Windows to re-install on the new SSD and it might yell at you about licensing, but you can call and explain to Microsoft if it does and they will take care of you. Have you considered building your own PC?
m
l
January 11, 2013 4:49:58 PM

Yeah, I have considered going to build route, but just dont have the time. I can pretty much digure everything out via google and what not. If I buy a lemon store bought pc, at least I can return it. Do you know of any pkace that sells build kits that inckude everyruing that you need for a build?. I may opt for that.
m
l
January 11, 2013 4:57:45 PM

Newegg sell's bundles but they do not necessarily contain everything you need, just the core components. However, I do not see much different besides buying a bundle and putting together a solid configuration and just ordering it all at once. You will over pay for most pre-builds and by building your own you only receive the components/features you want/need and you don't have to deal with any manufacturer bloat ware being installed. Also, a lot of individual components come with decent warranties of their own, and should a problem occur forums like these are very helpful in diagnostics, where Dell or someone is going to charge you for a warranty and often you will have to ship it off to them if something comes up.

If you still have interest, poke around pcpartpicker.com and put a build together close to one you were looking at and see the difference in the cost. It will probably surprise you.
m
l
Related resources
!