Four 42inch display's, one PC

JemVaughan

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Greetings!

I have recently been asked by a friend to put together a kit for them for their restaurant. They want four 42inch screens and a slide show of their menu etc. All easy enough, however, I have no idea what kind of PC to put together for them to run it all. I have plenty of experience putting gaming PCs or workstations together, but first time I have come across four 42inch screens. I have a few ideas but I'm not sure if it will be overkill or not enough.

My idea basically for the build, Asrock z77 extreme-4 m, a small SSD for OS and basic slideshow program, 8GB RAM 1600mhz, i5-3330, AMD 7850 graphics, 520watt psu, all peripherals, case, CD/DVD are irrelevant to question.

My concerns, RAM enough? Graphics enough? Graphics overkill? Processor overkill? i3 ok?

Has anyone built something similar and have any feedback based on experience?

Btw sorry if this is wrong category, its a tad more broad than simply graphics cards.

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Can't say I have any experience in this area, but if all the machine is doing is running a slide show, most basic builds should be fine.
I don't see any issue with your current build.

I think it probably is a bit overkill, but I'm not sure what the minimum would be for what you need.
Guessing here: an i3 with 4gb ram and any video card that can support four displays (or one display cloned three times depending on what you want).

JemVaughan

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Well, in theory RAM shouldn't be the issue here. All I am worried about is getting the resolution right for the four 42inches.

But, I could be missing something so before I order everything I want to be sure.

Vid Nikolic

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

Well I would say you get a hard drive not an ssd. Hard drives are more reliable and last longer. Ssd is for games. I think procesor will not be a problem, get a cheap i3 or pentium, oramd because its enough. Graphic card is important to the point that it can push a picture on 3 screens, because there is no need for more than that slide show uses no resources.

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
You really don't need such a powerful pc. Just because they are 42" doesn't make them any more powerhungry than 4x 24" screens. Get the cheapest i3 or even amd, get a very basic mobo, 4gb ram (or even 2gb is cost is an issue), a small hard disk and the cheapest GPU that can support 4 displays. If you're gonna clone the displays than you don't even need that...