Random freezes, random BSoD and no signal to monitor

JagChamp

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Good afternoon.

My computer has all of sudden started to freeze randomly and getting blue screens. It mostly happens when I am playing games, but has also occured while browsing.
After rebooting the computer my monitor, mouse and keyboard would not receive any signal from the computer and I would have to reboot again.

The computer was built two years ago and has not been changed since half a year ago, where I added a SSD.

I run Windows 8 and my computer has the following specs:
AMD Phenom II 1075T
Scythe Mugen 3 Heat Pipe CPU Cooler
Club 3D Radeon HD 6850 (1 GB)
Corsair TX650W
Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 2 GB
Kingston ValueRAM 1 x 4 GB
WD Caviar Black WD640 GB
128 GB Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC128B
Samsung Super-WriteMaster SH-S223C (Sort) (En gros)
ASRock 870 Extreme 3
BenQ E2220HD
Antec Three Hundred - EU
D-link RangeBooster N 650 Desktop Adapter DWA-547

Let me know if you need any more information - I really need to get my computer to work again ASAP, as studying for exams are not easy when you cannot rely on your computer.

Oh - One of the BSoDs I have had told me to look up UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP.

Thanks in advance - I really appreciate it. :)

You didn't mention whether you are overclocked / teaked, or all at stock settings? Did you have these problems with Windows 7? Did you "uprgade" to Windows 8, or do a clean install?

MEM - Take out the single 4GB module. That has you running in single channel mode instead of dual. Install memory modules in pairs to take advantage of the dual memory controllers. This likely is NOT going to be your problem, but is less than ideal.

http://www.memtest86.com/ => Download, burn a disc, boot to it, then make at least three passes for erorrs.

Drivers! Make sure all are up-to-date from motherboard components to GPU.

Firmware updates. Go through the vendor's hardware documentation and see if there are any fixes related to your issue. It is recommended to upgrade only if you are having a problem that was fixed, however I uprade firmware all the time just to stay current.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime95 => Can you run a stress test for more than an hour?

EDIT: Be sure to watch your temps when running Prime95 to make sure you are not running too hot.

JagChamp

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I am sorry - not used to posting on this kind of forum. :)

It is all stock setting. I did not have any problems with Windows 7, but figured Windows 8 was better, so I bought it.
I did not do a clean install - just upgraded.

About the RAM - Should i place another 4GB module in? Would that make in ruin in dual?

I will look all drivers through and will do your tests after that.

Thanks a lot.

The Windows 8 upgrade may be your stemming issue. Skip the Intel tool and hit the manufacturers web sites manually for upgrades. There may be some Win7 drivers that are complaining in Win8. This is where I would focus...

Regarding the memory.... yes is the short answer. Try to match not only the frequency, but also the latency. If you are unsure what you have then download a free utility (CPU-Z for example) as it will show you what you are currently running at. Things will still work if the memory speeds are mismatched, but ALL your memory modules will scale down to your slowest single module (unless you override these settings in the BIOS which isn't recommended).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854946.aspx

*Of note:
"It usually occurs after the installation of faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or in the event that installed hardware fails. Setting the CPU to run at speeds above the rated specification (known as overclocking the CPU) can also cause this error."

So:
Remove that 4GB module.

If your problem goes away it's because of mix-matched RAM issues. Probably your cause. Do NOT mix RAM.

Let us know how that goes, but in general:

1. make sure BIOS is up to date
2. use ONLY the same type of RAM
3. use DUAL configuration
4. *Set the MEMORY PROFILE TO "XMP" (should apply proper profile)
5. verify with MEMTEST (5 minute quick test; 2 hours later) www.memtest.org

JagChamp

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

So I have removed the 1x4GB of ram.

Trying to update BIOS (something I have never done before) gave me this error:
http://postimage.org/image/5muud9h8r/

Should I try to do that Intel driver test, just to see if that will give me BSoD, now that the extra RAM are gone?

Do you mean MEMTEST?
If so, yes.

*Just use your computer as normal now and see if the BSOD disappears.

JagChamp

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Still no problems since removing the 4x1 GB of RAM.
I do not know if it is a coincidence or the problem is worked out.

How do I make up for RAM loss? Should I buy another 1x4GB? Or should I buy 2x2 exactly idential to the ones I already have?

8GB is optimal for GAMING (no more will benefit; in some cases 8GB is better than 4GB). I'm unsure if you do any video editing or require more RAM for other tasks.

With that in mind:
1) go the CHEAPEST route that gives you at least 8GB
2) make sure the modules all match (2x4GB + 2x2GB should be fine provided the frequencies and timings are identical)
3) enable "XMP" to set the default values (if possible)

I'm unsure of PRICES. If buying another 4GB module IDENTICAL to the existing module is reasonably priced go that way.

*If you buy another 4GB module and have issues again (with 12GB now), try it with just the 2x4GB setup instead.

**If the 4GB module is NOT identical to the timings/frequency (i.e. 1600MHz @ 10-10-9-10-24) of the 2GB then I suggest another IDENTICAL kit to the 2GB for a 4x2GB setup. You may wish to go this way just to be safe if you only game.

SUMMARY:
- single 4GB or 2x2GB (read above)
- identical 2x2GB if you only game (to be safe)
- set XMP in BIOS if possible
- run MEMTEST after any changes