noupasol100

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Hi. I would really appreciate if someone could give me an informed answer. I currently have a Core 2 Duo E7600 running at 2.6ghz, Radeon 5770 with 5GB DDR2, Windows 7 Premium. I am on a very limited budget and can only upgrade one component, either the cpu or gpu. I currently live in India and for my budget I can either get a used or new Core 2 Quad 6600 or 8400. For gpu I can get a Radeon 6850 or Radeon 7770. Which of these two do you think will give me the most improvement? I play games like FIFA, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Crysis, Assassin's Creed, Street Fighter, Need For Speed, Age of Empires etc and sometimes do occasional video editing. Also I didn't mention my PSU since I plan on getting a new one if required. But just for information, it's a 430w from a not popular brand (probably chinese). I game at 720p since I can't afford a higher resoluion monitor at the moment, but I must say it does the trick for me and I sincerely haven't missed gaming on a 1080p screen even though I would love to.

N.B: I know my system is old and could use an entire upgrade, but please I don't need you to remind me of that, just let me know which will give me the best performance improvement. And yes, I do consider myself a hardcore gamer, I just don't have the funds to defend or support that claim. Thank you all once again.

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I think the issue is that a 6850 and 7770 would not be a big enough upgrade over the 5770 to justify the cost. I think you should save up a little more and look at a 7850, which is when you might wanna think about upgrading your cpu/mobo/ram. I wouldn't spend any money on an aging 775 platform when modern dual cores will outperform the c2q in gaming.

noupasol100

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Thank you for the quick reply. Your suggestion would be the most obvious route to go, but however like I explained before I just don't have the funds to upgrade my entire system and don't think I will raise the money anytime soon to justify waiting. I currently use the Core 2 Duo to run modern games and it is really showing its age. I tried running Black Opss and the fps was really bad, in the mid 20's and low 30's. Also I am unable to max a game like FIFA 13 and after visiting the EA forums I learnt that upgrading to a quad core like the Q6600 fixed the issue completely. Also Battlefield seems to be asking for a minimum of quad core to run reasonable frame rates. If I really required an update to such a dying socket, between the two what will be your honest opinion?

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
The c2q's are still pretty good gaming chips that will only start to show its age in games like fc3. I'm not saying that it won't game better, it will. I just think it isn't the route that I would go. If it is drastically cheaper then by all means do so.
But you will see a larger improvement in fps if you upgrade the gpu first. Like I said I would look at a 7850 as they are much better then the 7770/6850 for not a whole lot more.

noupasol100

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Thank you very much, I really do appreciate your input and this is the same route I am looking at, I just wasn't sure if the Core 2 Duo would serve as a bottleneck for the upgraded gpu