HD 7000 series or wait for 8000 (early January build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelSP

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

So I've just come cross some of the rumours about AMD's HD 8000 series graphics cards that still have only 'leaked' specifications and a belief that they will be released in 'early 2013'.

I am going to be building a computer in early January and I can just afford a Gigabyte HD7970 into my budget. So, I have a few questions about this;

Firstly, would it be worth waiting for the new cards to be released for the better specifications? Alternatively, would it be better waiting for them to help lower the prices of the still quite powerful HD7000 series. Finally, Should I just not let it worry me and buy the HD7970 anyway as a comparable HD8000 card may cost much more?

Thanks for any help :)
Michael.

Solution
The decision is yours. Do you really need a card now? Buy the 7950 that can be found for as low as £210, it's a bargain at that price. Do you prefer to wait 2-3 months and buy an overpriced HD8000 series during the first months? Or do you prefer to buy an HD8000 series few months after it is out and thus at normal price and with better drivers?

That said, Carspace above wrote the right thing to do. You buy the best available at the best price/performance at the time of your interest. If however you are looking purely into performance (without caring for money)... you could just wait a couple of months for the new cards.

Caspase

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
There is always something better around the corner. That said, if I were you I would do one of two things.
If you need the computer now, buy it and you will be please.
If you don't need it right this second just wait and see...

tlg

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
The decision is yours. Do you really need a card now? Buy the 7950 that can be found for as low as £210, it's a bargain at that price. Do you prefer to wait 2-3 months and buy an overpriced HD8000 series during the first months? Or do you prefer to buy an HD8000 series few months after it is out and thus at normal price and with better drivers?

That said, Carspace above wrote the right thing to do. You buy the best available at the best price/performance at the time of your interest. If however you are looking purely into performance (without caring for money)... you could just wait a couple of months for the new cards.

Solution

tlg

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
What I forgot to add is that with over 10000 of 3dmark11 scores, an overclocked 7950 or 7970 are strong choises for ultra settings in games for the next 2 years at least (maybe a few years after new consoles you will need more).

MichaelSP

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll probably buy the 7970 and if the 8000 have been released, hopefully it'll just be cheaper. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.