Sign in with
Your question

Will all my pc components fit in a mini itx case?

Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2013 3:14:43 PM

My specs are :
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.20Ghz
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 ( Would have to change to a mini itx board, please suggest! )
GPU - MSI Twin Frozr III R7870 OC
SSD - Crucial m4 64GB
HDD - 160GB 3.5inch hard drive, don't know make or anything.
PSU - Corsari CX600

Thanks in advance!:D 
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2013 4:57:20 PM

Sadly there are not a whole lot of good old ITX boards on the market which will take your CPU, but if you found one, then you ought to be able to cram the rest into an ITX enclosure without a whole lot of trouble.

With ITX there are a few rules of thumb:
1) Make sure you have a mobo that is ITX
2) Make sure that your CPU and GPU suit your needs without OCing as ITX enclosures do not typically offer much in the way of air movement, so you may have to run at stock speeds.
3) Make sure that your GPU only takes 2 slots. Most ITX cases I have seen allow for duel slot GPUs, but it is a very tight 2 slot spacing, so if any of the fans stick out into a 3rd slot, or your are running an aftermarket cooler, then you may need to get a newer/smaller GPU to fit nicely.
4) The less HDDs the better. HDDs are big solid walls which generate a fair amount of heat, and are good at blocking airflow. If you were to consolidate to a single 240+GB SSD that suited all of your storage needs then it would take less space, run quieter, and introduce much less heat to the system.
5) Check for PSU compatibility. A lot of the ITX cases I have seen out there which take a standard ATX power supply stick said supply right above the CPU. This can make for 2 problems: First, it severely limits the type of CPU cooler you can use. Second, it puts 2 fans next to eachother that are pulling air in opposite directions, which is not optimal for either the CPU or PSU. Thankfully, some of the nicer ITX systems come with a decent Bronze or better rated PSU which will not have these same issues. They are not as good as the PSU you have... but from what I have seen they are not bad either, provided you can run your system in under 350W.

When it comes down to it, it is actually rather difficult to adapt an older desktop into an ITX system. You can typically move to mATX without much difficulty, but to have a good performing ITX build you really need newer parts that offer better performance with much less power than your current system can provide. Case and point, if you were to rebuild today you could put an i3 CPU in the ITX system which puts out almost no heat, requiring very little in the way of a heat-sink, while offering better performance than your Ph2x4. It is nothing against your current build, it is merely an issue that newer parts have much more focus on lower TDP so that it is easier to cram them into smaller spaces.

Best of luck!
January 11, 2013 5:29:12 PM

Thanks. It's just I was thinking if I should get a smaller motherboard and then try and fit it into a bitfenix prodigy, because it looks fricking awesome, or get something like the corsair 500r, looks so cool and has great airflow and space! So I think I might just get the 500r and stay how I am, because I normally use my pc for gaming and my cpu at the moment is fine for that! So thanks alot to both of u!:) 
!