Sign in with
Your question

Corsair cx430 for gtx 660 ti

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 27, 2012 10:09:38 AM

Dear all,
I am planning to buy a msi gtx 660 ti power edition...
But iam wondering if my corsair cx430 v1 psu can handle the card normally...
I will only use it normally without planning to oc my system...
my spec is

procie intel i7 2600k
mobo asrock z77 extreme 6
hdd wdc blue 500 gb
memory corsair vengeance 2 x 4gb ddr3
odd dvd rw multi
case cooler master haf 912 advance with 3 fan

Does my corsair cx430 is capable to handle gtx 660 ti???
Or should i first upgrade my psu and be patient to save more money to buy the card???

More about : corsair cx430 gtx 660

November 27, 2012 10:28:31 AM

Corsair CX 430 is pushing your luck badly with system. The CX 430 has enough power delivery, but it has bad caps and may have reliability issues with such a system, especially if you do any overclocking.

I'd upgrade to a decent 520-550W model such as one of the Antec units in that range. Corsair CX series is best avoided. It does not have the same level of reliability that Corsair's other families have.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2012 10:40:19 AM

I would not recommend it.I agree upgrade the power supply first.
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2012 10:54:28 AM

Does my cx 430 really that bad???
@blazorthon, so the problem is the components inside the psu even thought power wattage is sufficient???
m
l
November 27, 2012 11:02:18 AM

Rheinhardt said:
@blazorthon, so the problem is the components inside the psu even thought power wattage is sufficient???

It's not bad, it's just questionable for what you want to do. The main problem is its caps AFAIK. Some of the rest of the build quality is pretty good and it has extremely clean power delivery. It simply has heat issues and other reliability issues with high loads for it like you'd be potentially putting it in.

It can deliver enough power for what you want, but I really don't think that it would last all too long. You might get a year or maybe two if you're lucky out of it, but you might instead only get a few months at best. If it fails, I'd then be worried about it taking other components with it. The V2 is not as bad as the V1. If you have the V1, then I'd be really worried. I have a lot of experience with many units of both models and have been disappointed with their reliability, especially of the older V1.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2012 11:16:56 AM

It will be able to handle it easily. It has 336 watts on 12 volt rail. GTX 660 won't use more than 170 at peak, and your CPU will not use more than 100. That's still 70 watts in store.
m
l
November 27, 2012 11:23:11 AM

Sunius said:
It will be able to handle it easily. It has 336 watts on 12 volt rail. GTX 660 Ti won't use more than 170 at peak, and your CPU will not use more than 100. That's still 70 watts in store.

The rest of the system is probably going to consume at least 40-60W, around half of which will probably be +12V. That's breaking it awfully close to the PSU's rated limits, especially considering its bad caps. I know from experience that that is starting to push it's realistic limits.
m
l
November 27, 2012 11:32:00 AM

I do planning on upgrading my psu for the next few months, maybe april...
But if the risk really that great, then maybe i would instead buy the card next april...
Just to make sure, do you guys really think my cx430 wont last till april if i load it with gtx 660 ti???
I really itch to get my hands on that card LOL :D 

@const int, i want gtx 660 ti and not the gtx 660 non ti...
m
l
November 27, 2012 11:39:30 AM

blazorthon said:
Corsair CX 430 is pushing your luck badly with system. The CX 430 has enough power delivery, but it has bad caps and may have reliability issues with such a system, especially if you do any overclocking.

I'd upgrade to a decent 520-550W model such as one of the Antec units in that range. Corsair CX series is best avoided. It does not have the same level of reliability that Corsair's other families have.

No the cx series is fine just not that model for that card. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that line of PSU's... well in comparison to a lot of other brands and models
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2012 11:55:58 AM

Rheinhardt said:
@const int, i want gtx 660 ti and not the gtx 660 non ti...

I meant GTX 660 Ti, the regular GTX 660 consumes 140 watts at most. And why do everyone confuse my name with my avatar :lol: 
m
l
November 27, 2012 12:05:20 PM

ah my mistake Sunius...

So my cx430 is really not capable to handle gtx 660 ti due to it's single 6-pin pcie connector...
Well in that case then i should upgrade my psu first and be patient to save money to buy gtx 660 ti...
Ok then, thank you guys for the suggestion...
m
l
November 27, 2012 12:17:13 PM

spentshells said:
No the cx series is fine just not that model for that card. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that line of PSU's... well in comparison to a lot of other brands and models

CX series all has crap caps (Samaxon or something like that). I wouldn't recommend any of them. There are better models from Seasonic, Antec, XFX, and more (as well as some other Corsair families of PSUs) at all price points with a CX series PSU, at least in the USA. Also, I speak from personal experience with many units from both the CX 430 V1 and CX 430 V2... The Antec VP-450 is generally a more reliable model in the same price range. It's not viable for this build without an adapter because it too doesn't have enough PCIe connectors, but it does have enough power delivery (no trouble at all at pulling even 550W).
m
l
November 27, 2012 12:27:25 PM

@djangoringo, Is gtx 660 ti and gtx 660 non ti really not differ too much???
Because I do consider to buy the non ti card if my money saving program is failed...

@blazothorn, what do you think???
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2012 12:30:34 PM

If with the 660 non ti that psu will do, the performance loss is about less than 10%, and price/performance favors the non ti, for me for kepler cards its like this either the 660 gtx or 670 gtx.
m
l
November 27, 2012 12:32:28 PM

They're pretty similar, but the difference might be a little noticeable if you compared them. If you want more band for your buck, then you'd probably want a GTX 660, but I heard about a GTX 660 Ti that's right in the 660 price range and at that point, it only gets better if you get a Radeon 7870 or spend around $300-350 on a Radeon 7950 or GTX 670. However, I don't know where that 660 Ti is selling or if the deal is even still on-going (it might have been yesterday only).
m
l
November 27, 2012 12:39:01 PM

blazorthon said:
CX series all has crap caps (Samaxon or something like that). I wouldn't recommend any of them. There are better models from Seasonic, Antec, XFX, and more (as well as some other Corsair families of PSUs) at all price points with a CX series PSU, at least in the USA. Also, I speak from personal experience with many units from both the CX 430 V1 and CX 430 V2... The Antec VP-450 is generally a more reliable model in the same price range. It's not viable for this build without an adapter because it too doesn't have enough PCIe connectors, but it does have enough power delivery (no trouble at all at pulling even 550W).

Well lets agree to disagree as I would never build anything with an antec PSU even the highend ones. I feel the same way about rosewill and cooler master despite them both having some excellent models.

Never once have I had a cx model fail where as ANTEC ROSEWILL and CM all been replaced with the cx series
m
l
November 27, 2012 12:42:55 PM

Wow...yet another option,gtx 670 and hd 7950...
LOL i am getting more confuse...

But i think i am going to stick with gtx 660, if my cx430 is capable to handle it for about 5 monts ahead...

so guys what do you think???
please help me decide...
m
l
November 27, 2012 12:47:05 PM

spentshells said:
Well lets agree to disagree as I would never build anything with an antec PSU even the highend ones. I feel the same way about rosewill and cooler master despite them both having some excellent models.

Never once have I had a cx model fail where as ANTEC ROSEWILL and CM all been replaced with the cx series

I agree about Rosewill and Cooler Master (although they do have a few pretty good models, just not many), but no modern Antec PSU has reliability as low as the Corsair CX models except maybe some of their bottom-end Delta-based models. Also, most of Antec's best and Corsair's best are made by the same company, Seasonic and they're usually pretty much the same, at least in quality. I suppose that we will have to agree to disagree.

What Antec models are you talking about replacing and what systems were they running, if you don't mind me asking?
m
l
November 27, 2012 12:48:06 PM

Rheinhardt said:
Wow...yet another option,gtx 670 and hd 7950...
LOL i am getting more confuse...

But i think i am going to stick with gtx 660, if my cx430 is capable to handle it for about 5 monts ahead...

so guys what do you think???
please help me decide...

I wasn't recommending the 7950 and 670, only using them as examples.

For the GTX 660 (non-TI), the CX-430 should be fine for your build, although I'd be careful with the overclocking and watch the PSU's heat.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2012 12:48:27 PM

Only if you had the money right now for a 670 and a new brand psu, which will be about ~400$ or more.
And i wasn't saying to go for a 670 only saying if you want a really step in performance the 670 gtx will be better than the 660 ti.

But since you don't have and the original intention was the 660 gtx ti, the 660 gtx will be the best card for now and about the same performance as the 660 ti, plus at ~200$.
m
l
November 27, 2012 12:57:36 PM

660 is not quite the card the 660ti is but yes a 660 will run fine on that PSU
m
l
November 27, 2012 1:07:52 PM

easiest way to determine a suitable PSU for ur 660ti :

branded reliable power supply (corsair, antec, seasonic, etc...) - ok

enough pcie connector (2) - ok

buy those one u can afford - ok

then it's ok for ur system, but dont apply this way to determine PSU for i7-3930k and gtx480
m
l
November 27, 2012 1:17:32 PM

Well I guess it's settled then...
I think I will go for the gtx 660 non ti...
I'll tell you guys how it goes as soon as i got the card...

thank you all...
m
l
November 27, 2012 1:24:33 PM

Glad to help.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2012 1:24:41 PM

Nice, see if you can buy a asus direct cu ii or a msi twin frozr iii or hawk, the best ones for the 660 gtx.
m
l
August 16, 2013 6:12:23 AM

if it was corsair cx 430 v2 (80+ efficent) than can it handle gigabyte gtx 660 2gb ??
with i5 2500k ? no overclocking ?
m
l
August 16, 2013 9:18:33 AM

Yes it can without overclocking, I wouldn't be able to do that myself though 2500K no OC what a shame.
m
l
16 minutes ago

blazorthon said:
Rheinhardt said:

It's not bad, it's just questionable for what you want to do. The main problem is its caps AFAIK. Some of the rest of the build quality is pretty good and it has extremely clean power delivery. It simply has heat issues and other reliability issues with high loads for it like you'd be potentially putting it in.

It can deliver enough power for what you want, but I really don't think that it would last all too long. You might get a year or maybe two if you're lucky out of it, but you might instead only get a few months at best. If it fails, I'd then be worried about it taking other components with it. The V2 is not as bad as the V1. If you have the V1, then I'd be really worried. I have a lot of experience with many units of both models and have been disappointed with their reliability, especially of the older V1.

is v2 ok with a gtx 660 and 125 watt cpu, nothing fancy in my case
no overclocking
m
l
!