Sign in with
Your question

Bottle Neck

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 27, 2012 10:35:00 AM

Hi All,
I am on the verge of upgrading my GPU but I'm not sure I'll get anything out of it :??: 

I am currently running
Windows 7 64bit
8Gb of DDR3 RAM
Q6600 (overclocked to 3.4Ghz)
ATI HD4890 (also OC'd)

I've seen some good deals on Sapphire HD 7850 OC Edition 2GB or Geforce GTX 650Ti but I'm not sure that my Q6600 wouldn't just be a giant bottle neck for the system then.

I'm not in a position to change the MOBO & CPU as I've only got around £150 to spend & I'm not even sure if I wouldn't have the same problem in reverse then as a new CPU wouldn't actually give me better game graphics.

My other option was to get an SSD & be happy to get the same graphic quality but delivered faster to my screen (i.e. lower loading times etc.)

Does anybody have any thoughts on this. Or even experience of using a newer GPU with that CPU.

Thanks in advance :D 

Neil V

More about : bottle neck

a c 87 U Graphics card
November 27, 2012 11:06:03 AM

A Q6600 at 3.4GHz with decent DDR3 memory shouldn't be an issue for the Radeon 7850 in most situations. That's about as good as a Phenom II 980, maybe a little better, and that's a very decent mid-ranged gaming CPU. The worst Radeon 7850 is still much better than the best GTX 650 Ti.

SSDs can be great, although I think that you are way overestimating how much it would help. They usually don't impact gaming performance much other than loading of menus and such.
November 27, 2012 11:23:54 AM

blazorthon said:
A Q6600 at 3.4GHz with decent DDR3 memory shouldn't be an issue for the Radeon 7850 in most situations. That's about as good as a Phenom II 980, maybe a little better, and that's a very decent mid-ranged gaming CPU. The worst Radeon 7850 is still much better than the best GTX 650 Ti.

SSDs can be great, although I think that you are way overestimating how much it would help. They usually don't impact gaming performance much other than loading of menus and such.

Thanks blazorthon, I agree that the SSD wouldn't make gaming any better, just making everything quicker to load & windows quicker to boot might have been worth the money if the general opionion was that I couldn't improve my gaming without changing the CPU.

On the 7850, do you think it's worth paying the extra for the 2GB or should I try & get the highest clocked 1Gb for the same price?
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 27, 2012 12:07:43 PM

THe 2GB models are worth the price premium IMO. There have been far too many situations where the 1GB models run into memory capacity bottle-necks. They are still great cards and worth their price, but the price premium of the 2GB models is definitely worth the money unless it's much more than about 15 pounds compared to a decent, similar 1GB model.
!