GTX 670 MSI PE
8GB 1600Mhz
SSD
NZXT Switch 810
Corsair SP120's fans
Corsair h100i
Windows 8
Seasonic X series 650watts

It should be a good build. Anybody agree?

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Yeah, well everybody says windows 8 is for touch so instead of getting a touch screen monitor I got a logitech t650 a touch pad.
Should be good.

chugot9218

Honorable
I think the pre-fab water coolers are kind of overrated but it is your call, also, I wouldn't have gotten touch period even if I had Windows 8, I guarantee you won't use it for much after long. Also, I don't trust MSI GPU's after their over-volting debacle and their subsequent denial, and you picked one of the 2 possibly afflicted models.

Also make sure you know what SP120 version you got, some of them are actually a bit louder than you would think they would be. If you want absolutely quiet fans get some nice Noctua's, I cannot hear my CPU fan even if it is the only thing on.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
the closed loop water coolers are just as good as air coolers. imo it comes down to what you paid for it. the H100i is defiantly on the high end.

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

They released a firmware which removes triple over voltage I believe

chugot9218

Honorable
I would like to know how that firmware manages to correct a physically by-passed voltage regulator...

I am not saying it wasn't necessarily fixed in later productions, but they did not seem to be ready to recall the affected models and replace them, I would be concerned that I might get some old stock. Also I did not like the way they dealt with the situation, I believe even NVidia was a bit upset about this happening, and MSI just claimed it was their superior design to give the best performance.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
you still get a 3 year warranty from msi. i don't see the big deal.
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=162345.0

The NO POST issue on some of the 6xx video card products which are limited to some of the new shipments, however it is unrelated to these OC SKU.
We are shipping with legacy BIOS on new shipments now.

The NO POST (in fact, a hang on POST code B2) is caused by the Hybrid BIOS in the VGA card that has conflict/compatibility issue with older UEFI BIOS without GOP support. GOP support has been introduced with UEFI 2.1 and is required by SecureBoot, thus Win8 compliance (not required by end users).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

The solution is to update the motherboard to the newest UEFI BIOS based on updated UEFI codebase with enabled GOP support (using integrated display or a known working discrete graphics card).
Or update the BIOS on the VGA card on a legacy platform with legacy VGA BIOS ROM. However, if you have no way to update both of your motherboard/vga BIOS then it is recommended to return the product to vendor, or submit a RMA request.

chugot9218

Honorable
Not a big deal, but there are plenty of other quality GPU's at the same price, I'd just rather not deal with it (and as I said their response turned me off most, I am a big stickler for customer support and PR).

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

They solved it with new batches now.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012

i sort of agree with you. i like the fact that they tried overvolt/overclock the cards. if they were able to do it without any issues and they back them with a good warranty i'm all for it. i bet a bunch of other vendors cried to nvidia that it wasn't fair.

chugot9218

Honorable

Yes I was fairly confident of that, but that implies that there was something to solve, the least they could have done is admit making an error.

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

True. It was all down to the person who bought it though if they seen this.