Sign in with
Your question

Front headers malfunctioning

Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2013 5:52:48 PM

Hey

Sorry if this is posted the wrong place, was not sure where else to post.
I'm using the NZXT Beta case, and have been for about 4 years. About 6 months ago, the front headset jacks started malfunctioning. They can still sometimes give out/in audio through them, but most of the time they won't be registered by my PC.
Really the best way to explain the problem is through this video I recorded, it's about 3 mins long but it explains it better then just plain text. (Click here for the video)

My audio setup is the following:
MSI 770-C45 (Using the included on board audio with the newest drivers from the MSI website)
Razer Tiamat 2.2 Stereo headset (Normally plugged in using the front ports)
Two actual speakers (Normally plugged in using the back port)
The audio drivers are set up to mute the back jacks whenever something is detected in the front, and has been like that since I got the case.

Do you have any suggestions of how this problem could be fixed? Me and my father have thought about, his idea, replacing the jacks on my case. (Not sure if this is even possible) The other solution we came up with was buying a new case.

PC specs, if necessary:
NZXT Beta
MSI 770-C45
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (OC'ed to 3.7GHz, with CM 212 cooler)
2*4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3, 1600MHz, CL7
Gainward GeForce GTX 560 Ti
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (boot)
WD green drive 500GB (storage)
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2013 5:59:28 PM

Did you try checking the header on your board to see if it has come loose? If it is under warranty you can contact NZXT and they should have replacement front panel ports but it can be kind of a hassle to replace, they should offer this free on warranty otherwise they may charge you something for it. I.E. in my Corsair case to replace the front panel stuff you basically had to disassemble the whole front of the case, removing wires and fans and such.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2013 6:10:02 PM

this is because the inside pins of you connector do not made contact it is the same for the mic or the headphones see the d diagram on this wiki the 2 curve pins are for the channel and the other for ground that the part you need to replace or repair on the case to get everything work .
Related resources
January 11, 2013 6:54:29 PM

chugot9218 said:
Did you try checking the header on your board to see if it has come loose? If it is under warranty you can contact NZXT and they should have replacement front panel ports but it can be kind of a hassle to replace, they should offer this free on warranty otherwise they may charge you something for it. I.E. in my Corsair case to replace the front panel stuff you basically had to disassemble the whole front of the case, removing wires and fans and such.

I did check the header on my mother board, it was plugged in fully. And as far as the warranty thing goes I don't know. It's bought in Denmark (where I live) so getting it replaced would probably be tough. And I am expecting to do a LOT of work if we go for the replacement route, my father reassures me though that it is easy :p 

scout_03 said:
this is because the inside pins of you connector do not made contact it is the same for the mic or the headphones see the d diagram on this wiki the 2 curve pins are for the channel and the other for ground that the part you need to replace or repair on the case to get everything work .

Aaah, what wiki exactly?
January 12, 2013 11:48:49 AM

After about an hour of debugging with my brother, we seemed to figure out that it was the detection system in the jacks that was malfunctioning, if we turned that off we were able to get both sound out and in through them.
So now I have a new system for using my two speakers, but it works :) 

Thanks to both of you who replied!
!