Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Build EVER

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 11, 2013 3:57:00 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to build my first PC but I'm not sure if my components are compatible or the best for this build. The main purpose of my build would be rendering in Vray/Max. I'm trying to spend around $1500 . I only need what goes inside the pc case as I have everything else. Here is the list of items I've picked out so far

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory
or
G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory

Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Stand-Alone Drive) x3

I still need a PC case and power source.

Any suggestions, opinions, or questions would be appreciated.

More about : build

January 11, 2013 4:18:55 PM

You need a gpu! I'dsuggest a quadro or fireproof card since you are working in 3ds max
January 11, 2013 4:22:38 PM

cbrunnem said:
You need a gpu! I'dsuggest a quadro or fireproof card since you are working in 3ds max


oh I have one already. it's a PCI 2.0 something. can you help me the other components?
Related resources
January 11, 2013 4:38:33 PM

Sniper versus Ares, I'd say it doesn't really matter except for the looks of the heat sinks and the prices (assuming that the Sniper kit that you're looking at is the same voltage as the Ares, some of them are lower voltage). There might also be a minor timings difference, but that isn't likely to make much of a difference in performance.

PC case is extremely subjective. I could throw out a few suggestions, but IDK what you're looking for in a case other than that it fit the components properly.

I can't recommend a power supply without knowing the graphics card and any other components to factor them into my recommendation.
January 11, 2013 5:03:10 PM

blazorthon said:
Sniper versus Ares, I'd say it doesn't really matter except for the looks of the heat sinks and the prices (assuming that the Sniper kit that you're looking at is the same voltage as the Ares, some of them are lower voltage). There might also be a minor timings difference, but that isn't likely to make much of a difference in performance.

PC case is extremely subjective. I could throw out a few suggestions, but IDK what you're looking for in a case other than that it fit the components properly.

I can't recommend a power supply without knowing the graphics card and any other components to factor them into my recommendation.



For now I will be using a ATI HD 4600 card. later I might upgrade. I wanted to get a case with enough fans to use all or most of the fan connector on the motherboard.
January 11, 2013 5:18:20 PM

Archex said:
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to build my first PC but I'm not sure if my components are compatible or the best for this build. The main purpose of my build would be rendering in Vray/Max. I'm trying to spend around $1500 . I only need what goes inside the pc case as I have everything else. Here is the list of items I've picked out so far

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory
or
G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory

Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Stand-Alone Drive) x3

I still need a PC case and power source.

Any suggestions, opinions, or questions would be appreciated.


If it were me, I'd consider the i5-3570k process since hyper-threading doesn't appear to conclusively help with rendering times. That would free up $100 to spring for a 256 GB SSD or maybe even a single 480 GB SSD. I'm pretty sure you lose TRIM when you use SSDs in a RAID 0 stripe. Just some food for thought! Here's the link that discusses hyperthreading and rendering.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/133121-maximized-p...
January 11, 2013 5:22:52 PM

rodney_ws said:
If it were me, I'd consider the i5-3570k process since hyper-threading doesn't appear to conclusively help with rendering times. That would free up $100 to spring for a 256 GB SSD or maybe even a single 480 GB SSD. I'm pretty sure you lose TRIM when you use SSDs in a RAID 0 stripe. Just some food for thought! Here's the link that discusses hyperthreading and rendering.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/133121-maximized-p...


That was with a system with many more cores to the point where there were more threads than the software could use. For a quad core system, Hyper-Threading will help rendering. Besides, your link showed Hyper-threading helping just as many things as it didn't help wven in that situation where it was not ideal, so it was situational, not inconclusive.

Also, whether or not you have TRIM in RAID 0 depends on the SATA controller's drivers. Intel's current chipset drivers support TRIM in RAID 0 and RAID 1 IIRC.
January 11, 2013 5:27:13 PM

Archex said:
For now I will be using a ATI HD 4600 card. later I might upgrade. I wanted to get a case with enough fans to use all or most of the fan connector on the motherboard.


A Zalman Z9+ PC case might do the trick for that.

The Radeon 4600 is an old, weak video card with fairly low power consumption needs. A PSU such as the Antec VP-450 (can be had as cheap as about $30 in NCIX) should do the job with a lot of room to spare should you want a better video card (IDK if you'll need a better card or not).
January 11, 2013 5:37:40 PM

rodney_ws said:
If it were me, I'd consider the i5-3570k process since hyper-threading doesn't appear to conclusively help with rendering times. That would free up $100 to spring for a 256 GB SSD or maybe even a single 480 GB SSD. I'm pretty sure you lose TRIM when you use SSDs in a RAID 0 stripe. Just some food for thought! Here's the link that discusses hyperthreading and rendering.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/133121-maximized-p...


I wanted to get a Xeon processor but the motherboards are obscenely expensive and lack some features I may need. Is there a noticeable difference between 1866 and 1600 memory ?
January 11, 2013 6:11:17 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
January 11, 2013 6:33:04 PM

Lol im pretty sure Intel HD 4000 IGPU is better than the ATI HD 4600.
January 11, 2013 7:16:58 PM

it might be better in this situation to get an 8 core AMD 8350 fx cpu to save some money without sacrificing rendering performance.
!