Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem with nVidia Geforce

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 27, 2012 1:40:00 PM

Hi. I have some problems with my nVidia GeFORCE 6
The problem is. That when I place in my PC. screen shows nothing! I checked all cables, used other, screen but nothing and when I put back my Radeon everything comes live again what is wrong with my GPU?

More about : problem nvidia geforce

November 27, 2012 1:41:05 PM

what exact model is it?
first thing that comes to my mind is DOA.
November 27, 2012 1:55:10 PM

Model nVIDIA GeFORCE 6 Series 6800
Related resources
a c 110 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2012 1:57:04 PM

6800 ??? you mean 680 gtx ?
November 27, 2012 1:57:26 PM

Why do you think she is DEAD OR ALIVE :D 
November 27, 2012 2:00:06 PM

nope that is the real thing who lie now on my table
a c 110 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2012 2:01:58 PM

man that is one old card...just dump it.
November 27, 2012 2:04:32 PM

No this is ,,young" card I have Older one lie now on my table to :D  thats how we live in our contry: repair old things and use it for normal life! all most Russia!
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2012 2:04:35 PM

Could be a couple things.

1. Your PSU can't handle the new video card.
2. Your new video card is dead.

To determine which of these it is, we'll need some more information. Specifically, what is the video card you replaced (need the model number, Radeon isn't good enough), what is the new card (again, Geforce 6 series isn't good enough) and what power supply do you have?

If you don't know what model power supply it is, or if you're using a pre-built computer, you'll need to look at the sticker on the side of the power supply and post some info from it. Specifically, we need the overall wattage and the amperage on the 12v rails. There may be more than one 12v rail, and we need to know all of them, even if they're all the same. If the power supply lists the wattage of only the 12v rail, that will be useful too.

Edit: Wow, you're trying to install a Geforce 6800? Throw it in the garbage and buy a card that's not a decade old.
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2012 2:11:08 PM

OX-49 said:
No this is ,,young" card I have Older one lie now on my table to :D  thats how we live in our contry: repair old things and use it for normal life! all most Russia!

Not if the one you're replacing is a Radeon. The first Radeon was launched years after the 6800. That 6800 is seriously almost a decade old.

Also, video cards aren't things you can just repair and keep going indefinitely. Games get more demanding over time, but that card will never get any faster. It's already well past the point where it's capable of playing modern games, even on very very low settings. Even a $25 card from today would crush it.
November 27, 2012 2:13:28 PM

I built this PC very long time ago! 7 years and now he is going to the END of his life so i want to make it alive for month!
This is my PC's Specs:
Motherboard: ABIT KN8 Ultra
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ overclocked and AMD Athlon 64 3500+
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4550 or nVidia Geforce 6800
RAM: 3x512MB and 1GB
PSU:350W
HDD: 2x 160GB 7200rpm
Optical drivers: 3
Audo card: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
November 27, 2012 2:15:26 PM

willard said:
Not if the one you're replacing is a Radeon. The first Radeon was launched years after the 6800. That 6800 is seriously almost a decade old.

Also, video cards aren't things you can just repair and keep going indefinitely. Games get more demanding over time, but that card will never get any faster. It's already well past the point where it's capable of playing modern games, even on very very low settings. Even a $25 card from today would crush it.


I know that 2years ago I brought one GPU to the HELL she was quite smoky! :D 
November 27, 2012 2:15:28 PM

DOA means dead on arrival, which means if it is new, it might have been a bad card, then send it back for replacement
November 27, 2012 2:19:00 PM

Nope she is live on arrival maybe dead on PC
November 27, 2012 2:21:42 PM

is it 680 or 6800? if its 680 ur psu isnt good enough
a c 110 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
November 27, 2012 2:30:28 PM

Why bother? the AMD 4550 is much better, more actual doesn't make sense switching for a 6800 gt unless you feel nostalgic.
I could send you a riva tnt 2 32mb, i have it somewhere around...lol.
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2012 2:44:10 PM

OX-49 said:
I built this PC very long time ago! 7 years and now he is going to the END of his life so i want to make it alive for month!
This is my PC's Specs:
Motherboard: ABIT KN8 Ultra
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ overclocked and AMD Athlon 64 3500+
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4550 or nVidia Geforce 6800
RAM: 3x512MB and 1GB
PSU:350W
HDD: 2x 160GB 7200rpm
Optical drivers: 3
Audo card: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

So, here's the deal. The Radeon HD 4550 is faster than the Geforce 6800. Considerably. It's barely four years old, while the 6800 is almost ten.

Second, a 350W PSU is not enough power for the the 6800. Nvidia's listed minimum power requirement is 480W. This is why the card doesn't work. In fact, 350W is so little that most video cards won't work. Newer budget cards would have the best chance (older cards are less efficient and require more power), but I'd strongly recommend upgrading your PSU with the video card. Next time, get something at least 550W so you don't have this problem again. Cheap power supplies cost more in the long run.

All told, you're looking at around $100 for a modest GPU upgrade. You could buy a better computer off ebay for probably $200-$400, which honestly is a much better option. Your computer is garbage, no offense. Memory situation is a mess, very little hard drive space and ten year old parts.

!