Sign in with
Your question

High GPU Temp

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 27, 2012 1:43:39 PM

Just got a MSI R7970, while load testing it was pushing 90 degrees. I'm looking for a quite solution to cool this, right now I've had decent success (78-80 degrees full load) with changing the fan curve (-5 degrees) and adding a push fan on the side of my case (-5 degrees) and an addition pull fan on top (-2 degrees).

The big problem with the addition fans are that they are loud. They're plugged into pwrfan1/2 so I have no speed control, but it seems like I'll need all the cooling I can get so I'm not sure if this is real issue.

Should I be looking for some pricey quiet case fans, or perhaps an aftermarket cooler for the 7970?

More about : high gpu temp

November 27, 2012 1:52:03 PM

Try using MSI Afterburner, you can control the GPUs fan speed by temp. Test from there, unplug some case fans and see if noise is less.
I use Afterburner myself on a Crossfire setup.

Here is a link http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
November 27, 2012 1:57:03 PM

90 degrees is normal, if a bit warm. My 7970s will get up to 80 at full load with the fans at 100%. Sounds like a leaf blower.
November 27, 2012 1:57:06 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been using afterburner to play with the profiles, but the gpu fan get very loud past about 65% power. Right now it's running at 67% with the two additional fans and I'm still at 80 degrees, before I got it down to about the same temp by running the gpu at 100%, but it sounded like a rocket taking off....
!