High GPU Temp

Just got a MSI R7970, while load testing it was pushing 90 degrees. I'm looking for a quite solution to cool this, right now I've had decent success (78-80 degrees full load) with changing the fan curve (-5 degrees) and adding a push fan on the side of my case (-5 degrees) and an addition pull fan on top (-2 degrees).

The big problem with the addition fans are that they are loud. They're plugged into pwrfan1/2 so I have no speed control, but it seems like I'll need all the cooling I can get so I'm not sure if this is real issue.

Should I be looking for some pricey quiet case fans, or perhaps an aftermarket cooler for the 7970?
3 answers Last reply
More about high temp
  1. Try using MSI Afterburner, you can control the GPUs fan speed by temp. Test from there, unplug some case fans and see if noise is less.
    I use Afterburner myself on a Crossfire setup.

Here is a link http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
  2. 90 degrees is normal, if a bit warm. My 7970s will get up to 80 at full load with the fans at 100%. Sounds like a leaf blower.
  3. Thanks for the quick reply. I have been using afterburner to play with the profiles, but the gpu fan get very loud past about 65% power. Right now it's running at 67% with the two additional fans and I'm still at 80 degrees, before I got it down to about the same temp by running the gpu at 100%, but it sounded like a rocket taking off....
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon GPUs Fan Graphics Product