Asus HD 7770: No display, boot issues

wave05

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Hi Everyone,

My new build was having boot problems; no display or post. After I breadboarded and removed the Asus HD7770 graphic card, I can see the BIOS screen display. I used to insert the graphic card in the PCIe 3.0 16 slot.

My specs:
Intel i5 3470
Gskill 8Gb 1600 Memory
Gigabyte GA Z77MX-D3H Mobo
Agility 3 60 Gb SSD (I do not use a HDD for now.)
Corsair TX650 PSU
Asus HD7770
Lite On CD Drive
Corsair 400R Case

My questions:

1. Should I replace my graphic card? I notice there are two LED lights near the 6pin power connector. Only LED2 used to display a yellowish green light. There was no light on LED1. Does this indicate a problem with the graphic card?

2. Should I try to insert the graphic card in the PCIE 8x slot and see if display comes on?

3. Can I use my build without the graphic card attached? I need to configure the BIOS and install Win8.

4. If I replace then I'll receive another Asus HD7770 graphic card. Is this graphic card supported by my mobo?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Probably another defective asus motherboard.

without the gpu installed go into the bios and set the first video device as the gpu. then save and exit. power down the pc and plug the ati video card into the pci 16x slot. make sure on the vidoe card if it has 2 6 pin power plugs both of them are connected. you should now see video at post fine. if you still having issue i would power off and pull the card and turn on the onboard video and check the mb bios rev to the newest one on the vendor web page.

wave05

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

I had cleared the CMOS earlier while trying to figure out the boot issues. Therefore, I guess I now need to first (please correct me if I'm wrong):
1. load the optimized default settings
2. then, set the first video device as the gpu. For this, I need to go to BIOS--Peripherals--Init Display First and select PEG. Then save and exit.

NOTE: Can I configure other BIOS settings or do I only need to configure the video card and exit?

The video card has one 6-pin power plug.

On the motherboard, the revision displays 1.0. I checked the website below and the latest revison is F13. Should I download this? If yes, should I use Q-Flash utility or install the operating system first and then use @BIOS utility?

http://www.gigabyte.in/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4142#bios

NOTE: There is another version of the mobo which is 1.1. Should I download the latest update for this version? Or, should I go with the latest update to my current mobo version of 1.0?

Thanks for your patience. Really appreciate your help.

wave05

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
SOLVED! The mistake that I was doing was connecting the HDMI cable to the graphic card. However, after I connected the VGA to DVI connector to my VGA LCD monitor and then connected it to the DVI port on the graphic card, I got the display on.

TRENDING THREADS