Sign in with
Your question

What parts suit my needs

Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2013 7:13:00 PM

I need a computer that can run eclipse an android emulator and multiple browsers without any trouble. What I am aiming for is 8GB RAM and the i5-3470 CPU. I don't plan on using this for gaming so I'm going with integrated graphics to save $$. I have had a very hard time deciding what PSU and MOBO to get. I want these to be durable and cost effective. I don't want to pay alot for features I don't need. That said it wouldn't hurt to have enough room and spare wattage to support the addition of a GPU sometime down the road. So does anyone have any suggestions for my PSU and MOBO or any other information? I appreciate any assistance.

More about : parts suit

a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2013 3:28:43 AM

Hi. The ASRock H77M is a good budget motherboard and the XFX ProSeries Core Edition 450W should be sufficient for a future GPU.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2013 6:15:25 AM

can you please give me a budget and i can put together a system which you can the parts you want to take(theoretically speaking)
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2013 2:46:53 PM

say... <$600. I'm not actually on a tight budget. I just don't want to spend more than I have to. I'm mostly interested in making sure I get a MOBO thats reliable and a PSU that won't damage anything and will last. I also should have mentioned the case. This is another tough one because there's just no easy way to know which ones will have space for everything and won't have broken fans in two years. I guess I should also mention I need at least 2 USB 2.0 ports and would like a spare PCI slot just in case I find that I need one for some reason. The lower the price the better but I'm willing to spend a little more if I need to in order to ensure it will last.
m
l
January 12, 2013 2:53:32 PM

johnsonjohnson said:
Hi. The ASRock H77M is a good budget motherboard and the XFX ProSeries Core Edition 450W should be sufficient for a future GPU.

The H77M does seem to have just the right amount of features and a great price but, I got scared off because multiple people reported problems with the RAM slots on newegg. I still might get it anyway but I sure hope those RAM slots work. Flimsy is bad too but without any experience for all I know all boards are flimsy. I'll check out the XFX PSU.
m
l
January 12, 2013 6:25:07 PM

Update:
I've done some more research and I have a more detailed build I think will work.
i5 3470 $200
AsRock B75M D65 $55
Corsair Builder $50 (its more watts than I need but its cheaper than the XFX anyway and the XFX didn't get jonny's recommendation!) unfortunatly I have no way of knowing if this particular PSU is as good as corair's reputation so let me know if you think its not.

Antec 300 illusion mid $90 (I pretty much picked it at random)

Western Digital Black 500GB $85 (all the reviews said it was quiet and didn't break wereas a similarly priced 1TB by seasonic had lots of reviews mentioning it needing reformatting or breaking)

G. Skills ripjaw (2x4GB) 240pin 1066 $41
Lite On Black Sata Dvd RoM $20

Does this look good? any problems I have overlooked? better alternatives?
Also I have to buy a mouse, keyboard, and monitor too so if anyone has any brands they particularly recommend let me know.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 12, 2013 11:44:29 PM

Those parts will work together. I think you're talking about the CX500 for $30 after rebate on Newegg? It's not a bad PSU. The XFX is based on SeaSonic's S12II. I think it would've gotten the recommendation if not for some weird results. The 550W version squeaked by with a recommendation though and it's also based on the same platform. And I think you meant to write ASRock B75M-DGS. The Antec 300 Illusion is going for $65 on Newegg not $90. At $90 I'd recommend the Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Titanium Grey instead. The hard drive is $70 after promo code. I'd opt for faster RAM 1600 or at least 1333 since the price difference is minimal. A pair of Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 could be had for just $35 but it sold out. So if you're not in a hurry, another memory deal will come by.
m
l
January 13, 2013 1:18:42 PM

I'll start shopping around then. Thanks for the info.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 13, 2013 7:06:43 PM

You're welcome and good luck with your build.
m
l
!