Solved

Need help upgrading my pc!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2013 9:01:55 PM

Hello guys , so i was gifted a pc some two years ago ( HP Z200 SFF workstation to be exact )
and also opted for a better video card than the already built in so that i could have a better
gaming experience . My question for you is this , is it possible to upgrade this system in order
for me to play the newer games in decent fps / resolution with a budget of around 300-400$?
I am also interested in buying a new case ( which i will hopefully use in a future build ) to replace
my current tiny one. My peripherals ( monitor , keyboard etc. ) are quite good and in no need of
replacement.

My system specifics are Motherboard : Hewlett Packard 0B48h
CPU : Intel Xeon x3430 2.4GHz
Memory : 6GB DDR3 1333
PSU : some unknown to me brand (240W)
GPU : ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL) 1GB

More about : upgrading

Best solution

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b α HP
January 11, 2013 10:00:38 PM

You will need a better psu to be able to run a strong graphics card.

With your budget, you should be able to buy a strong card like a 7950 for $300 and a suitable psu for $100.

But, considering that your cpu is somewhat dated, I think I would look at a more modest card like a GTX650ti or a 7770 which will be in the $120-$150 range.
Buy only a quality psu like seasonic, antec, corsair, xfx, pcp&c.
You will need a 500w psu, no more than 650w.
January 11, 2013 10:42:41 PM

Most games are much more dependent on gpu's than cpu's nowadays. It's not as important now as it once was to have a superfast cpu to play the latest and greatest games. But yes, definitely upgrade the psu. Many people make the common error of spending lots of money on a gpu and then buying the cheapest psu they can find that matches the wattage needs of the card. In reality you should spend as much as you can afford on a decent psu.
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2013 7:47:43 AM

First off , thank you both so much for the time you took to reply . If i am
right , you think that a better GPU would be a bottlenecked on my current CPU.
I thought i'd need to upgrade my PSU and i am now considering to get a really good one such as a Corsair TX850 so that i can use it in the future when i will hopefully
build from scratch. Also do you guys think that i might be able to get 2 x MSI 7770s
crossfire and will my cpu / motherboard be able to handle it ( connection wise ) and will i need to get an additional heatsink?
m
l
January 12, 2013 7:55:03 AM

p.s. I am thinking Crossfire because i am guessing a 7770 is the best card my system can handle , otherwise i read that a single
more powerful card will outperform the two minor ones , plus it will be easier to set up for a newbie like me.
m
l
a b α HP
January 12, 2013 5:47:35 PM

bigplays said:
p.s. I am thinking Crossfire because i am guessing a 7770 is the best card my system can handle , otherwise i read that a single
more powerful card will outperform the two minor ones , plus it will be easier to set up for a newbie like me.

To run crossfire, you need a motherboard with two pci-e x16 graphics card slots that also has crossfire support.
I doubt that your workstation motherboard qualifies.
Also, crossfire of two lesser cards is not a great idea.
You may be subject to microstuttering:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

Really, I would look at a good single card as the best upgrade.
m
l
January 12, 2013 6:34:54 PM

I apologize for my lack of knowledge , turns out my motherboard does not support crossfire. I am leaning towards getting a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6870 HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 and a
Corsair TX850. Any advice is still welcome of course.
m
l
a b α HP
January 12, 2013 7:10:08 PM

bigplays said:
I apologize for my lack of knowledge , turns out my motherboard does not support crossfire. I am leaning towards getting a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6870 HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 and a
Corsair TX850. Any advice is still welcome of course.

That would be good.

Corsair is a good psu, but you need only a 450w psu to power a 6850.
I think I would look for a 600-650w unit.
m
l
January 12, 2013 8:07:37 PM

I see . So i am getting a Corsair TX650M and i only found the MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II / OC available at a local dealer. Did some research and they both seem to be worth it.
I cannot thank you enough geofelt and the rest.
m
l
January 13, 2013 6:53:54 AM

Best answer selected by bigplays.
m
l
!