• Nvidia
  • Graphics Cards
  • Processors
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 27, 2012 6:24:14 PM

Hello,
Im currently looking to upgrade my computer for this Christmas. This is my current setup.

http://oi45.tinypic.com/21o7hpx.jpg

I wanted to upgrade my graphics card and my processor. My question is, what do I need to do that? What is a good graphics card and processor I should buy. I would like to do some streaming online and my friend recommended this processor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

What is a good graphics card I could get that would be an upgrade from the Dual GTX 285s I currently have. Thanks in advance.

More about : buying graphics card

a b Î Nvidia
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 27, 2012 6:26:07 PM

Get an i5-3570k with an asrock z77 mobo extreme 4 + 670 gtx or 7970 ghz edition
m
l
November 27, 2012 6:28:22 PM

djangoringo said:
Get an i5-3570k with an asrock z77 mobo extreme 4 + 670 gtx or 7970 ghz edition

Can you provide me with a link so I know exactly what your talking about? Thanks in advance.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2012 7:13:22 PM

The i7 920 is actually still a pretty beefy CPU, while you 'could' upgrade your mobo and CPU, you would do fine just changing your GPU's to a single GTX670.

The difference in performance between the PCIe 2.x that your mobo supports and PCIe 3.0 is small, especially with a single GPU you run in 16x mode.

If for some reason you need more juice on the CPU front, just overclock your 920. You should easily get 3.0-3.2Ghz out of it without any massive heat issues.
This depending on what type of a cooler you have now, if you have stock then you need to spend ~30-35 bucks for a decent aftermarket cooler.

Then IF for some reason you feel that the 670 is just not cutting it for you can consider other upgrades.
m
l
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
a c 117 U Graphics card
November 27, 2012 9:34:09 PM

please - upgrade you CPU by overclocking it. if i was sitting on a i7-920 i would continue to sit on it until haswell. spending ~$650 to upgrade won't get you the performance worth the money when ~$320 will suffice.

if you feel like getting something good for Xmas along with a gpu . .got an SSD?
m
l
November 28, 2012 2:53:59 PM

Anonymous said:
please - upgrade you CPU by overclocking it. if i was sitting on a i7-920 i would continue to sit on it until haswell. spending ~$650 to upgrade won't get you the performance worth the money when ~$320 will suffice.

if you feel like getting something good for Xmas along with a gpu . .got an SSD?

I don't have an SSD and thanks for the response!
m
l
!