Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Rebuiding/budget

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 11, 2013 9:36:36 PM


Ok so I have a Thermaltake mid case which I am re-using, A 750w PS, and new fans already,
NEED HELP pricing out the rest of this rig!?!
I aso have a gigabite nvidea geeforce 9800gtx
so an awesome budget CPU, motherboard,ram and HD i need help with!

More about : rebuiding budget

January 11, 2013 11:11:19 PM

ANYONE
January 11, 2013 11:17:19 PM

Well... what's this thing being USED for, and why are you rebuilding, and what's your budget? That's likely why nobody answered you the first post.
Related resources
January 11, 2013 11:24:17 PM

Budget????
January 11, 2013 11:52:01 PM

its for gaming, rebuilding because its only got a 64xduao x2 and it cant run games anymore budget to spend on parts is roughly 400
January 12, 2013 12:03:11 AM

What the hell is that "64xduao x2" thing...

Anyway here is something you may consider :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $354.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-11 21:03 EST-0500)

354$ is after a 30$ MIR.
January 12, 2013 12:04:22 AM

64dualcore x2
what about graphics card should i also upgrade?
January 12, 2013 12:16:58 AM

Which games are you playing and consider playing????

With a 400$ budget, it's gonna be hard to fit a graphic card...

If it was me and had only 400$ to spend, I'll upgrade CPU/Mobo/Ram first (HDD if you really need more space), stick with 9800GTX for now and upgrade it in the next few months.

But if you want to play Farcry 3 max settings, 400$ is not enough my dear...
January 12, 2013 12:31:17 AM

ok Well i did wanna be able to Run farcry 3 atleast max settings and new games coming up
what u thinking?
January 12, 2013 12:47:18 AM

Saw this on a budget forum

Gaming Parts List Name Price Rebates/etc. Total
Video Card XFX AMD 7850 $180 -$20, Free Shipping $160
CPU AMD OEM Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz $75 Free Shipping $75
Memory Corsair XMS 8GB 1333Mhz RAM $45 Free Shipping $45
Motherboard MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ Motherboard $75 Free Shipping $75
Power Supply OCZ 600W Modular PSU $70 -$10 $60
Hard Drive WD Blue 500GB 7200RPM HDD $60 -$10, Free Shipping $50
Optical Drive Samsung Optical Drive $17 Free Shipping $17
Case Corsair Carbide 300R $80 -$20 instant; -$10MIR;
Free Shipping $50
CPU Cooler Corsair H70 Liquid Cooler $65 -$20, Free Shipping $45
Total $667 -$90 $577
January 12, 2013 12:48:15 AM

What resolution are you playing?

But keep in mind, what you are asking is impossible with 400$. You need to update your CPU (so your mobo so you RAM) because it is your biggest bottleneck right now.
Forget the HDD unless you really need to.
To max out FC3 at 1080P, you need a graphic card that cost more than 400$ (or 2 GPU that gonna cost as much).
You know that FC3 look great at low-medium settings too?

I'll keep my last suggestion, focus on CPU/Mobo/RAM, wait some month, than get next gen graphic card.
January 12, 2013 12:58:05 AM

gatlin705 said:
Saw this on a budget forum

Gaming Parts List Name Price Rebates/etc. Total
Video Card XFX AMD 7850 $180 -$20, Free Shipping $160
CPU AMD OEM Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz $75 Free Shipping $75
Memory Corsair XMS 8GB 1333Mhz RAM $45 Free Shipping $45
Motherboard MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ Motherboard $75 Free Shipping $75
Power Supply OCZ 600W Modular PSU $70 -$10 $60
Hard Drive WD Blue 500GB 7200RPM HDD $60 -$10, Free Shipping $50
Optical Drive Samsung Optical Drive $17 Free Shipping $17
Case Corsair Carbide 300R $80 -$20 instant; -$10MIR;
Free Shipping $50
CPU Cooler Corsair H70 Liquid Cooler $65 -$20, Free Shipping $45
Total $667 -$90 $577


It's far from a bad recommandation, but that 7850 won't max out FC3, you will need to play Low-Medium settings. Phenom II is an old CPU, not a bad CPU, but old. But you will be able to upgrade to next gen FX CPU in theory later with an AM+ board.

January 12, 2013 1:04:14 AM

So lets say i wanna spend 400 on cpu/mobo/ram then wait for card? should i stay intel or go amd? im noob
w1zz4 said:
It's far from a bad recommandation, but that 7850 won't max out FC3, you will need to play Low-Medium settings. Phenom II is an old CPU, not a bad CPU, but old. But you will be able to upgrade to next gen FX CPU in theory later with an AM+ board.

January 12, 2013 1:18:40 AM

Most games run better on Intel. I was a big fan of AMD before but they now trail behind Intel really hard.

400$ on Mobo/CPU/RAM
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.90 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.34 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $360.23
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-11 22:16 EST-0500)

40$ to put in your piggy bank for your graphic card and have a really nice upgrade.
January 12, 2013 1:19:56 AM

Sorry was in Canada mode...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($128.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $345.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-11 22:19 EST-0500)

You now put 55$ in bank...
January 12, 2013 1:23:49 AM

Im in canadaaa
January 12, 2013 1:25:00 AM

Then what about graphics wi i be abe to use my card or no?
January 12, 2013 1:28:03 AM

You keep you graphic card for now, put to 40$ in you bank and wait for next gen graphic card (later on spring). Until then, your computer is way better and you make your budget to save 200$ more $$$ for a good mid range graphic card.
January 12, 2013 1:28:55 AM

Im guessing 6 or 8 cores from amd are equivalent to the quads in i5/i7s?
January 12, 2013 1:30:23 AM


will i be able to run my card?
w1zz4 said:
You keep you graphic card for now, put to 40$ in you bank and wait for next gen graphic card (later on spring). Until then, your computer is way better and you make your budget to save 200$ more $$$ for a good mid range graphic card.

January 12, 2013 1:32:35 AM

There is no equivalent CPU to a 3570k in AMD product for gaming.
Games like processor rough speed way more than cores.
January 12, 2013 1:33:37 AM

gatlin705 said:
will i be able to run my card?


Yes Yes Yes you keep your card, you play on your GTX 9800 that you have transfered to the new computer...
January 12, 2013 1:55:37 AM

w1zz4 said:
There is no equivalent CPU to a 3570k in AMD product for gaming.
Games like processor rough speed way more than cores.


If you pay attention to any AMD tech news as of lately the flagship processor of the next generation AMD apu will be able to match the 3570k and it's an apu
January 12, 2013 2:46:38 AM

Is that the one you are running?
January 12, 2013 3:03:53 AM

w1zz4 said:
Most games run better on Intel. I was a big fan of AMD before but they now trail behind Intel really hard.

400$ on Mobo/CPU/RAM
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($225.90 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.34 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $360.23
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-11 22:16 EST-0500)

40$ to put in your piggy bank for your graphic card and have a really nice upgrade.


+1 great build for the cash, save for a GPU in a few months...
January 12, 2013 3:08:05 AM

gatlin705 said:
Im guessing 6 or 8 cores from amd are equivalent to the quads in i5/i7s?


NO AMD CPU comes close to the i5-3570K for gaming. AMD has great multi core applications but no programs require 8 cores. AMDs single core architecture is absolutely horrible. AMD has some good qualities but not enough to justify it over intel...
January 12, 2013 3:23:45 AM

:) can i add more ram with that motherboard later on ps, thanks alot guys :) 
January 12, 2013 3:38:06 AM

Yes you can add more ram later on upto 32GB I believe with that board.
January 12, 2013 1:37:44 PM

ikes9711 said:
If you pay attention to any AMD tech news as of lately the flagship processor of the next generation AMD apu will be able to match the 3570k and it's an apu


AMD needs to have more competitive products on mid/high range. If they fail to launch a good product (like the Bulldozer fiasco), they will set them out of the CPU market, which can only means bad for consumers (no competition = higher price). If AMD didn't have Athlon 64, Intel would probably still be using the Netburst arch (P4), which was bad, I mean really bad and 500$ CPU.

gatlin705 is due for an update now, not a future upgrade... Since AMD don't have a current gen CPU able to compete with Intel, I suggest him to buy Intel.

As stated earlier, I was a big AMD fan before. In fact here my the list of the CPU I owned before my current rig :
K6-2 350
K6-III 550
Athlon 900
Athlon XP 1200+
Athlon XP 1800+
Athlon XP 2200+
Athlon X2 3800+
Athlon X2 5000+
Phenom II 955

I still have my 5000+ in my Linux server.

If AMD comes out with a good CPU, I 'll sure switch back!
!