• AMD
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 11, 2013 10:04:46 PM

Here is my build:
Case- Raidmax Seiran ATX-902WW
CPU- AMD FX-8350 Black Edition @ 4.0GHz
HDD- Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Motherboard- ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
RAM-Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory
Videocard- right now I will be using my friends 550ti but i plan on upgrading to a 7870 sometime in the future

For the power supply i was going to go with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(the Corsair builder series cx 500w continuous power)

So will the 500W power my build, if it doesn't please leave some suggestions on higher watt psu's that are around $60

Thanks

More about : 500w

January 11, 2013 10:55:42 PM

id rather get intel given it uses half the power of any fx chip at all times but if you are dead on amd id get this

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/x6x0

the 660 is cheaper than the 7870, therefore earning my recommendation
m
l
a b À AMD
January 11, 2013 11:02:11 PM

The 500 watt psu is enough even once you get the 7870

m
l
Related resources
January 11, 2013 11:25:18 PM

I would recommend a i5-3570k over the FX-8350, but it's your choice. And like TheBigTroll said, it consumes wayyy less power than virtually all of the AMD CPUs. That PSU should be enough, and it's a good choice because of Corsair's generally good quality products.
m
l
January 11, 2013 11:49:49 PM

id never get a cx series psu. doesnt supply its full wattage from what i know and isnt a seasonic unit like a xfx
m
l
a b À AMD
January 12, 2013 3:25:32 AM

NerdBBQ said:
I would recommend a i5-3570k over the FX-8350, but it's your choice. And like TheBigTroll said, it consumes wayyy less power than virtually all of the AMD CPUs. That PSU should be enough, and it's a good choice because of Corsair's generally good quality products.

The difference in power consumption is just smoke blowing out of intels .......

It will cost about 1 cent per hour more to run the FX 8350 while gaming , answering an email or watching a movie it will be more like one cent per day
m
l
January 12, 2013 3:31:52 AM

NerdBBQ said:

AMD's Trinity APUs, at general workloads, use less power than any comparable Intel CPUs despite a huge fabrication process disadvantage. The power consumption woes go both ways in different situations and besides, for FX, how you use the CPU can greatly affect power consumption. For example, reorienting it for gaming by disabling one core per module and overclocking makes it much more power efficient. Besides, the power consumption differences really aren't so huge even without reorienting the CPU as described above when you put things into perspective such as counting PSU efficiency, the consumption of the rest of the system (especially the graphics), and how when you look at the power consumption numbers instead of percentages of CPU power consumption, the differences simply aren't that huge.

Furthermore, I second avoiding the Corsair CX series. It is generally not high quality like the rest of Corsair's PSU series such as TX. It is able to deliver its full rated wattage, but barely and it has bad caps that hurt reliability.
m
l
!