HLD-X0 vs HLD-X9, best of the best!

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
October 18, 2004 4:36:35 PM

Hi!

Now you can see with your own eyes what player YOU prefer of the two:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid...

What do you prefer?

/Mattias

More about : hld hld

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 12:51:14 AM

Both have great black levels, IMO.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 3:27:19 AM

They're both impressive, I've never seen the EP. I laserdisc in action before.
Player B seems to have slightly deeper color but the difference is very slight.
Steve Grauman
October 19, 2004 4:04:27 AM

"Mattias Karlsson" <nin@beta.telenordia.se> wrote in message
> Now you can see with your own eyes what player YOU prefer of the two:
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid...
>
> What do you prefer?

I prefer the one that can play both sides of the disc.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 5:16:02 AM

They wont let me vote. A convicted felon in Florida I guess.
I vote for A
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 7:38:49 AM

memnon2@ziplip.com (Chris W.) wrote in message news:<9fecf0b.0410181951.1fc9a8c@posting.google.com>...
> Both have great black levels, IMO.

I will do more comparission soon, just to see what player gives the
best picture. Right now, one can't really know if the skin-tone's on
the Star Wars is too red or not on the disc or if it's the player that
does it.
So do anyone have any reference LD they think I should use? I was
thinking about take Fifth element, but if anyone have some suggestion,
let me know.

Before that one cannot with 100% know what player gives the best
skin-tones. To my, the X0 give a more detail picture that is sharper
with better contrast/grey scale, something one can see in the
spaceship scene.

What player is easiest to buy (change sides, smaller, etc) is not what
I'm intrested in, just what gives the best pictures. Soon more
pictures, now when I know more how to do it.

So soon I can give you more pictures from other movies and I will have
a R7G player also too capture from (and I think I will have a CLD-925,
just to see the difference from an average player).

/Mattias
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 7:53:59 AM

<<What do you prefer?>>

<They're both impressive>

Exactly the kind of decisive and incisive answer I expect from Steve.
Even though a screen grab from a $49 DVD player would blow away both of the
"best of the best" LD players, Steve somehow manages to be impressed. It looks
like someone is trying very hard to nestle into the bosom of the NG.
Kraig
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 10:12:50 AM

>Even though a screen grab from a $49 DVD player would blow away both of the
>"best of the best" LD players

Geez, I don't seem to remember ever comparing those screen shots to the DVD.
Maybe I meant that I've never seen a laserdisc player look that good, and so I
used the word "impressive".

>It looks
>like someone is trying very hard to nestle into the bosom of the NG.

How about you go play in the street for awhile, little man? You're obviously
mentally ill and I think a boxing match with an SUV will keep you occupied for
a while.
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 4:13:24 PM

> I will do more comparission soon, just to see what player gives the
> best picture. Right now, one can't really know if the skin-tone's on
> the Star Wars is too red or not on the disc or if it's the player that
> does it.

Flesh tones can be adjusted at the display. What I'd be looking for is
moe detail and less noise.

> So do anyone have any reference LD they think I should use? I was
> thinking about take Fifth element, but if anyone have some suggestion,
> let me know.

Fifth Element is good. Austin Powers is also good.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 5:58:52 PM

Great idea, Mattias.
It would be perfect, if you could do some comparisons with an average player
like the CLD-925.

I have a suggestion.
The Video Essentials LaserDisc have a testframe with vertical lines in
smooth transition from low to high resolution.
That specific frame could give a good indication of the capabilities
regarding performance in resolution.
If you want, I could give you the exact framenumber later today.

I also want to support the "Fifth element" idea.
It's a common movie.

When you do the comparisons, I'll download your raw results, saving them for
reference.
One day I'd like to do a comparison with my own LD-V4300D.

I truly support your work.
It's original and very useful.
Thank you.

Kindest regards
--
Brian Hougaard Baldersbæk
Frejasvej 14

"[DK6400] Brian Baldersbæk" <DK6400BrianFJERN@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<41750144$0$23058$ba624c82@nntp05.dk.telia.net>...
> Great idea, Mattias.
> It would be perfect, if you could do some comparisons with an average player
> like the CLD-925.
>
> I have a suggestion.
> The Video Essentials LaserDisc have a testframe with vertical lines in
> smooth transition from low to high resolution.
> That specific frame could give a good indication of the capabilities
> regarding performance in resolution.
> If you want, I could give you the exact framenumber later today.
>
> I also want to support the "Fifth element" idea.
> It's a common movie.
>
> When you do the comparisons, I'll download your raw results, saving them for
> reference.
> One day I'd like to do a comparison with my own LD-V4300D.
>
> I truly support your work.
> It's original and very useful.
> Thank you.
>
> Kindest regards

Thanks for the VE disc, I will try this.

I will just get the parts for my computer and redo the test even
better and more fair.

/Mattias
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 8:42:14 PM

"Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-BITE-ME.mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<Ex7dd.1123$5i5.298@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> "Mattias Karlsson" <nin@beta.telenordia.se> wrote in message
> > I will do more comparission soon, just to see what player gives the
> > best picture. Right now, one can't really know if the skin-tone's on
> > the Star Wars is too red or not on the disc or if it's the player that
> > does it.
>
> Flesh tones can be adjusted at the display. What I'd be looking for is
> moe detail and less noise.

Yes, that is true. I will dig deeper into this for the ultimate test.
A swedish site is intrested in this as an article, but that will be in
Swedish, maybe I could do a English version for you site if you're
intrested.

> > So do anyone have any reference LD they think I should use? I was
> > thinking about take Fifth element, but if anyone have some suggestion,
> > let me know.
>
> Fifth Element is good. Austin Powers is also good.

I do that.
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 1:49:19 AM

>So do anyone have any reference LD they think I should use?

I've been told that the later pressings of Terminator 2 and the live action
"Casper" movie are both considered to be reference quality discs. Maybe they'd
be worth trying? I know that The Fifth Element DVD is very well liked in terms
of it's quality, my SuperBit version looks fantastic, is the laserdisc as good?
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 6:11:23 AM

> A swedish site is intrested in this as an article, but that will be in
> Swedish, maybe I could do a English version for you site if you're
> intrested.

If you write it, I'll post it, so long as the Swedish site doesn't
object.
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 8:14:00 PM

>>It looks like someone is trying very hard to nestle into the bosom of the NG.
>>

>How about you go play in the street for awhile, little man? You're obviously
mentally ill and I think a boxing match with an SUV will keep you occupied for
a while.>

Steve is obviously going for the intellectual and maturity high ground.
Thank goodness for NGs, it gives bright courageous grown-up people like Steve
the opportunity to finish comments without his palms sweating, his voice
squeaking, or having to flee mid "You poopy pants!"

Kraig
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 8:26:21 PM

>So do anyone have any reference LD they think I should use? >

How about the Anamorphically Enhanced Squeeze THX Terminator 2 LD or the
the LD of the Lost in Space movie? I always thought the LIS LD looked and
sounded excellent for an LD. Anyone else agree?
Kraig
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 10:13:56 PM

try Armageddon, the DTS-version

it's one of my favorite transfers

Troels

"Mattias Karlsson" <nin@beta.telenordia.se> wrote in message
> memnon2@ziplip.com (Chris W.) wrote in message
> > Both have great black levels, IMO.
>
> I will do more comparission soon, just to see what player gives the
> best picture. Right now, one can't really know if the skin-tone's on
> the Star Wars is too red or not on the disc or if it's the player that
> does it.
> So do anyone have any reference LD they think I should use? I was
> thinking about take Fifth element, but if anyone have some suggestion,
> let me know.
>
> Before that one cannot with 100% know what player gives the best
> skin-tones. To my, the X0 give a more detail picture that is sharper
> with better contrast/grey scale, something one can see in the
> spaceship scene.
>
> What player is easiest to buy (change sides, smaller, etc) is not what
> I'm intrested in, just what gives the best pictures. Soon more
> pictures, now when I know more how to do it.
>
> So soon I can give you more pictures from other movies and I will have
> a R7G player also too capture from (and I think I will have a CLD-925,
> just to see the difference from an average player).
>
> /Mattias
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 10:34:49 PM

kamcgann@aol.com (KAMCGANN) wrote in message news:<20041020122621.15823.00002590@mb-m28.aol.com>...
> >So do anyone have any reference LD they think I should use? >
>
> How about the Anamorphically Enhanced Squeeze THX Terminator 2 LD or the
> the LD of the Lost in Space movie? I always thought the LIS LD looked and
> sounded excellent for an LD. Anyone else agree?
> Kraig

Yes, I was thinking about the T2 disc, if I can get it for a good
price. I also have the Casper movie (have not seen it) that many like
the transfer off.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 3:38:11 AM

>Steve is obviously going for the intellectual and maturity high ground.

And you are? People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

>Thank goodness for NGs, it gives bright courageous grown-up people like Steve

Yea, because picking fights, intentionally mis-reading the comments of others
and out and out lying are signs of maturity. Otherwise, you wouldn't do these
things, would you?
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 3:38:52 AM

>I always thought the LIS LD looked and
>sounded excellent for an LD. Anyone else agree?

Uh-oh, Kraig said a LD looked excellent. How dare you!
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 4:30:32 AM

On 20 Oct 2004 23:38:52 GMT, oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote:

>>I always thought the LIS LD looked and
>>sounded excellent for an LD. Anyone else agree?
>
>Uh-oh, Kraig said a LD looked excellent. How dare you!
>Steve Grauman

"for an LD." That's a pretty big qualifier...
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 10:46:31 AM

>"for an LD." That's a pretty big qualifier...

Of course. But he jumped down my throat for calling the Star Wars: Episode One
Laserdisc "impressive". He went on one of his typical ramblings about how
vastly superior the DVD is, although I never attempted to make any comparison
between the laserdisc and the DVD. I would admit freely if asked that the DVD
is certainly superior in performance. Kraig's reading comprehension is
questionable, and he takes any and every compliment of a Laserdisc to be a
direct attack on the capabilities of DVD. He also likes to give his infamous
lecture on how his morals and principles are superior to ours and how he's
obviously the most steadfast of us in his beliefs; the primary of which is that
we're all blubbering idiots obssessed with a long-dead A/V format that was
underachieveing even in it's hayday.
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 5:38:51 PM

On 21 Oct 2004 06:46:31 GMT, oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote:

>>"for an LD." That's a pretty big qualifier...
>>

>Of course. But he jumped down my throat for calling the Star Wars: Episode One
>Laserdisc "impressive". He went on one of his typical ramblings about how
>vastly superior the DVD is, although I never attempted to make any comparison
>between the laserdisc and the DVD. I would admit freely if asked that the DVD
>is certainly superior in performance. Kraig's reading comprehension is
>questionable, and he takes any and every compliment of a Laserdisc to be a
>direct attack on the capabilities of DVD. He also likes to give his infamous
>lecture on how his morals and principles are superior to ours and how he's
>obviously the most steadfast of us in his beliefs; the primary of which is that
>we're all blubbering idiots obssessed with a long-dead A/V format that was
>underachieveing even in it's hayday.
>Steve Grauman

Oh, I'm quite familiar with Kraig and how he "enjoys" this forum. Like
most of the people here, he's a bright guy. But like many of the
people here, he's also quirky as all hell. (Hey -- to be still
following LD "developments" several years after the format has
officially died is quirky. Period.).
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 7:05:46 PM

"Joshua Zyber" <jzyber@SPAMMERS-BITE-ME.mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<Ex7dd.1123$5i5.298@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> "Mattias Karlsson" <nin@beta.telenordia.se> wrote in message
> > I will do more comparission soon, just to see what player gives the
> > best picture. Right now, one can't really know if the skin-tone's on
> > the Star Wars is too red or not on the disc or if it's the player that
> > does it.
>
> Flesh tones can be adjusted at the display. What I'd be looking for is
> moe detail and less noise.
>
> > So do anyone have any reference LD they think I should use? I was
> > thinking about take Fifth element, but if anyone have some suggestion,
> > let me know.
>
> Fifth Element is good. Austin Powers is also good.

Well, I tried my Crystalio today with my Barco 801 and oh my god what
great the Fifth Element looked with the HLD-X0! Have not tweaked the
Crystalio yet but my friend that have a DLP (Infocus 4805) said; This
is better than any DVD on my set-up! Well, his PJ is not that great
but I would guess that most "joe's" and even some HT people would
think it was a 16:9 dvd playing.
Didn't have time to tweak and compare with the HLD-X9, will do that
when I get my 9500LC PJ next month.

/Mattias
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 8:21:22 AM

>But like many of the
>people here, he's also quirky as all hell.

Are you serious? You're going to boil habitual lying and regular off-topic
ranting down to being quriky?
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 11:56:52 AM

Steve wrote "Are you serious? You're going to boil habitual lying and
regular off-topic ranting down to being quriky?

Steve, Kraig has been posting on this ng for many years. Originally, he
was quite interested in the format and would relate his activities in
regards to acquiring decent players. When he first bought the Elite 99
he posted his views of the player and seemed to like it. Later, when he
got his HLD X9 he posted that too.
He once took a trip to Japan and posted his laserdisc purchases. It was
very interesting reading.
I remember the "great laserdisc player shootout" when Kraig had
several LD enthusiasts over to his place to compare an Elite 97, HLD X9
and, I believe, an Elite 79.
It was very interesting to read the results of this shootout.
It's only in recent years, with the advent of great quality dvd
players, superior HD monitors and a vast library of dvd titles, that
Kraig has been tweaking the noses of LD enthusiasts.
I can't see the logic in coming here and insulting people. I've often
wondered why Kraig doesn't visit the CED format ng's and really go to
town!
People who enjoy that format have their heads deeper in the sand than
LD enthusiasts! I mean, HELL, LD players are still being built, in the
form of Karaoke players! How long has it been since a CED player was
built? It was only 4 or 5 years ago that the last few North American
laserdisc releases ceased. How long has it been since a CED title was
last released.
I hereby implore Kraig to go load up his guns, visit the CED
talkgroups, and Lay Waste to THOSE technological misfits for awhile ;)
I mean, how misguided are those poor devils, sliding those damned
plastic cartridges into glorified "record players" watching VHS quality
movies?
GO GET 'EM KRAIG!!
Kevin
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 5:34:59 AM

>Steve, Kraig has been posting on this ng for many years

I respect that, as I respect all of you. I acknowledge and enoy the fact that
you all have vast experience with the LD format and I find this board to be a
great source of shared knowledge, even though I may not always act as such. But
his long-standing presence here does not make his innapropriate behavior any
more acceptable.

>Originally, he
>was quite interested in the format and would relate his activities in
>regards to acquiring decent players

Which, I believe, is largely what this board was created for. Anyone who is as
disinterested in Laserdisc and as disgusted with those of us who still choose
to enjoy the format as Kraig is doesn't really have any reason to be posting
here. He seems to to think his reason for posting is to show us all the "right
way" and to lambast us with his "holier than thou" attitude and I personally
find it disgusting.

>It's only in recent years, with the advent of great quality dvd
>players, superior HD monitors and a vast library of dvd titles, that
>Kraig has been tweaking the noses of LD enthusiasts.

I don't think anyone here is or ever has tried to downplay the obvious
superiority of the DVD format. It seems to me that we all own and enjoy DVD
players and, in many cases, large libraries of DVD software. There's certainly
some room here for a little *friendly* DVD Vs. LD discussion, and a little
debate on what makes the LD format viable to us. What there isn't room for,
IMO, is habitual and outright lying, the regular and severe twisting of words
or the obvious penchant for starting flamewars that Kraig seems to enjoy.

>I can't see the logic in coming here and insulting people. I've often
>wondered why Kraig doesn't visit the CED format ng's and really go to
>town!

Or the VHS board for that matter, or the Beta board. Why someone so enthralled
with DVD and so obviously disgusted with the LD format and those who enjoy it
would spend ANY time here is beyond me.

>I mean, HELL, LD players are still being built, in the
>form of Karaoke players!

Pioneer still sells the CLD-R5 and DVL-919 in Japan and discs were printed
there up to 2001. It's not as if we're talking about reel to reel audio for
home use.

>I hereby implore Kraig to go load up his guns, visit the CED
>talkgroups, and Lay Waste to THOSE technological misfits for awhile ;)

I agree. =) As a side note, I'm well aware if the fact that I've been a bit of
a misfit, and on occasion even a bit annoying. However, I can promise the
members of this board that it's been unintentional. And as I learn more and
more about Laserdisc and I become more invested in the format, I make a greater
effort to participate here in a friendly, productive and "un-annoying" manner.
And with the exception of Kraig, I hold no ill-will here.
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 6:40:29 AM

"Steve Grauman" <oneactor1@aol.com> wrote in message
> I respect that, as I respect all of you. I acknowledge and enoy the
> fact that
> you all have vast experience with the LD format and I find this board
> to be a
> great source of shared knowledge, even though I may not always act as
> such. But
> his long-standing presence here does not make his innapropriate
> behavior any
> more acceptable.

In Microsoft Outlook Express:

Highlight post
Message menu
Block Sender
Yes

Other newsreaders may have different instructions.
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 6:55:36 AM

>Other newsreaders may have different instructions.

Why am *I* being blocked now?
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 7:21:35 AM

>From: oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman)

>And with the exception of Kraig, I hold no ill-will here.
>Steve Grauman

Does that include me?
Or was I just left out?
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 8:52:31 AM

oneactor1@aol.com (Steve Grauman) wrote...
> Why am *I* being blocked now?

No, I don't think Josh has killfiled you. I am quite certain that he
has killfiled Kraig, and that he was simply telling you how you can
killfile Kraig if you use Outlook as your usenet reader.

Personally, I don't killfile anyone, since I find it easy enough to
avoid reading posts from folks whom I find stupid/boring by looking at
the poster's handle/userid. I actually read most of Kraig's posts,
because he is neither stupid nor boring. I just don't feed him by
trying to debate him on any issue, since it is my experience from
reading his posts that he is ALWAYS SURE OF HIMSELF and believes that
he is RIGHT 100% OF THE TIME -- kind of like our current president --
despite plenty of credible evidence to the contrary.

-Junior
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 8:20:19 PM

> >Other newsreaders may have different instructions.
>
> Why am *I* being blocked now?

I was offering you instructions for how to block posts that serve no
purpose other than to irritate you, not blocking you myself.
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 2:59:28 AM

>No, I don't think Josh has killfiled you. I am quite certain that he
>has killfiled Kraig, and that he was simply telling you how you can
>killfile Kraig if you use Outlook as your usenet reader.

Oh, ok. I just didn;t think Josh was that pissed at me. At least not yet.
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 3:00:07 AM

>I was offering you instructions for how to block posts that serve no
>purpose other than to irritate you, not blocking you myself.

Oh, alright. Sorry to jump the gun, I just didn't think I'd pissed you off
enough to be killfiled and was worried about what I'd done.
Steve Grauman
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 4:12:30 AM

> >I was offering you instructions for how to block posts that serve no
>>purpose other than to irritate you, not blocking you myself.
>
> Oh, alright. Sorry to jump the gun, I just didn't think I'd pissed you
> off
> enough to be killfiled and was worried about what I'd done.

I've only ever killfiled two people in this newsgroup. I'm sure you can
figure out at least one of them.
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 7:56:25 AM

>From: watsona@kenyon.edu (unclejr)

>I find it easy enough to
>avoid reading posts from folks whom I find stupid/boring by looking at
>the poster's handle/userid.

Do you find me stupid and boring Jack?
How is the new apartment?
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 7:57:46 AM

>From: "Joshua Zyber" jzyber@SPAMMERS-BITE-ME.mindspring.com

>I've only ever killfiled two people in this newsgroup. I'm sure you can
>figure out at least one of them.

That prick matthew martin ?
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 12:52:55 PM

>I've only ever killfiled two people in this newsgroup

For the 2nd person... Schwenke?
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 9:43:37 PM

"Robert Morgan" <puredthi@cs.comfrobozz> wrote in message
> >I've only ever killfiled two people in this newsgroup
>
> For the 2nd person... Schwenke?

*ding*ding*ding*
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 9:43:38 PM

Joshua Zyber wrote:

> "Robert Morgan" <puredthi@cs.comfrobozz> wrote in message
>
>>>I've only ever killfiled two people in this newsgroup
>>
>>For the 2nd person... Schwenke?
>

> *ding*ding*ding*

Please don't speak his name. Mercifully, he stopped posting in February
of this year.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 10:53:48 AM

>>>So do anyone have any reference LD they think I should use? >>>

>>How about the Anamorphically Enhanced Squeeze THX Terminator 2>>

>Yes, I was thinking about the T2 disc, if I can get it for a good price.>

Would you care to borrow my T2 Squeeze THX LD (PILF-2555) for your
testing?

Kraig
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 11:14:48 AM

kamcgann@aol.com (KAMCGANN) wrote in message news:<20041025025348.15823.00002848@mb-m28.aol.com>...

> >>How about the Anamorphically Enhanced Squeeze THX Terminator 2>>
>
> >Yes, I was thinking about the T2 disc, if I can get it for a good price.>
>
> Would you care to borrow my T2 Squeeze THX LD (PILF-2555) for your
> testing?
>
> Kraig

Hi Kraig!

It would be great! I let you know if I don't get a copy for myself. I
hope to beginn this test before the end of the year. I need to get the
new computer, my friend's vastly modded HLX-X9, Kurtis modded X9 and I
will ask a friend here in Sweden if we can use his CLD-97. I rather
take the time to do this 100% right.

Now, can I have more suggestions about LD's and scenes (a lot of
noise, much color, etc) that is hard for laserdisc to do right, so I
can take the pictures from those.

/Mattias
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 8:43:46 PM

"Mattias Karlsson"

> Now, can I have more suggestions about LD's and scenes (a lot of
> noise, much color, etc) that is hard for laserdisc to do right, so I
> can take the pictures from those.
>
> /Mattias

Yes Matthias.

I have a collection of PAL P/S LaserVision from the beginning of the
1980'es, of which I would gladly lend you these two:

Escape From New York.
The Wind in the Willows

These are so noisy that I doubt any player are able to get anything useful
from it.

--
Brian Hougaard Baldersbæk
Frejasvej 14

"[DK6400] Brian Baldersbæk" <DK6400BrianFJERN@hotmail.com> wrote...
> I have a collection of PAL P/S LaserVision from the beginning of the
> 1980'es, of which I would gladly lend you these two:
>
> Escape From New York.
> The Wind in the Willows
>
> These are so noisy that I doubt any player are able to get anything useful
> from it.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the X0 and X9 can play PAL LDs.

-Junior
Anonymous
October 25, 2004 9:46:41 PM

nin@beta.telenordia.se (Mattias Karlsson) wrote in message news:<225c767a.0410201734.448392e6@posting.google.com>...
> kamcgann@aol.com (KAMCGANN) wrote in message news:<20041020122621.15823.00002590@mb-m28.aol.com>...
> > >So do anyone have any reference LD they think I should use? >
> >
> > How about the Anamorphically Enhanced Squeeze THX Terminator 2 LD or the
> > the LD of the Lost in Space movie? I always thought the LIS LD looked and
> > sounded excellent for an LD. Anyone else agree?
> > Kraig
>

> Yes, I was thinking about the T2 disc, if I can get it for a good
> price. I also have the Casper movie (have not seen it) that many like
> the transfer off.

LDs made from HiDef video material. Some are squeezed but if you use
an anamorphic disc in your tests, doesn't this add a whole lot of
extra variables ? E-mail me (address above is not read, instead go
through the links on my pages below).

Nicolas

eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Discs-Of-Japan?refid=store
LDDb store: http://japanld.free.fr/shops.php?owner=n$a
LD website: http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 3:00:39 AM

"unclejr" <watsona@kenyon.edu> wrote in message
>> I have a collection of PAL P/S LaserVision from the beginning of the
>> 1980'es, of which I would gladly lend you these two:
>>
>> Escape From New York.
>> The Wind in the Willows
>>
>> These are so noisy that I doubt any player are able to get anything
>> useful
>> from it.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't think that the X0 and X9 can play PAL LDs.

You're correct. It is an NTSC-only player.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 6:10:00 AM

Mattias Karlsson <nin@beta.telenordia.se> wrote in message news:225c767a.0410250614.6c16f520@posting.google.com...

> Now, can I have more suggestions about LD's and scenes (a lot of
> noise, much color, etc) that is hard for laserdisc to do right, so I
> can take the pictures from those.

Much color? How about Dick Tracy?
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 6:28:51 AM

"Joshua Zyber" wrote

> You're correct. It is an NTSC-only player.

Well. No big deal. Thanks BTW.

Mattias.
Interesting frames on the Video Essential LaserDisc, which is in NTSC:

Chapter 15, frame 46619 and 46622.

Kindest regards
--
Brian Hougaard Baldersbæk
Frejasvej 14

>The Fifth Element DVD is very well liked in terms of it's quality, my SuperBit
version looks fantastic, is the laserdisc as good?>

The above post is a terrific example of the kind of idiocy that Steve G.
has been desperately trying to trademark here in the NG. He claims to be aware
of the DVD format's superior capability relative to the dearly departed LD
format, but still wonders if a lower resolution non anamorphically enhanced
chroma noise plagued composite color compromised LD presented via S-Video can
somehow compete with the Superbit DVD of The Fifth Element, a DVD whose
"regular bit" release was considered "reference" quality. With every inane
post, Steve G. proves that: A schwenke by any other name is still a
schwenke.......

Kraig
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 12:47:18 AM

> (Hey -- to be still following LD "developments" several years after the
format has officially died is quirky. Period.).>

I do not follow "LD developments." As the poster pointed out, the
format is dead. If anything, I follow the lack of development in the LD
foreverists. It can be quite amusing and worth a look now and again.

Kraig
!