Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

1680x* VS. 1920x* on 7870

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 27, 2012 11:32:26 PM

Hey guys, I kinda need your help here cos I'm having trouble choosing the right monitor size for me.

I'm planning to buy the AMD 7870 (or similiar card) and what keeps on troubling me is that after a year or two, the games may get demanding and then my 7870 may not, u know, catch up. Cos i'm very particular on maxing out the graphics while having a 60+ fps, below that then I'll have an uneasy feeling while playing. I can live with 20" monitors though. 23" + is a bit too much for me, just fyi.

Also I do not want my gpu to be stressed out, at it's peak, you know. That's why I'm eyeing on the 1680x* monitors.

So what will it be? :/ 
Sorry for my bad english

More about : 1680x 1920x 7870

November 28, 2012 1:53:41 AM

aserate said:
Hey guys, I kinda need your help here cos I'm having trouble choosing the right monitor size for me.

I'm planning to buy the AMD 7870 (or similiar card) and what keeps on troubling me is that after a year or two, the games may get demanding and then my 7870 may not, u know, catch up. Cos i'm very particular on maxing out the graphics while having a 60+ fps, below that then I'll have an uneasy feeling while playing. I can live with 20" monitors though. 23" + is a bit too much for me, just fyi.

Also I do not want my gpu to be stressed out, at it's peak, you know. That's why I'm eyeing on the 1680x* monitors.

So what will it be? :/ 
Sorry for my bad english


Don't get the 1680x monitors 1080p is much better and crisper.

It won't take too much more gpu power to run it.

Your radeon 7870 will easily get maxed out on modern games.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
November 28, 2012 2:11:02 AM

you don't want the 1680x1050 monitor. I had one. The bigger the better. I now have a 1920x1200 ( 28" ) and it's awesome.

I will say however, if you can get a 24" 16:10 it's much nicer than 16:9. The 16:9's stretch stuff out and lop stuff off at the top.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b C Monitor
November 28, 2012 2:31:10 AM

If you are ok with 20" monitors then you will have 1600x900. That's fine but it'll cost around $120 for a decent one.

On the other hand, to get more richness (I have a 1600x900 and 1920x1080 monitors), then you should move to a 23" monitor. The best resolution at this size is 1920x1080. This is a good choice for $150:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, newegg.com has that 24" for $150 (free shipping) and most 20" are $120+$10 (shipping) = $130. For $20 more the 23" monitor is worlds better.

Don't worry about stressing out your 7870. That thing is a beast and can handle 1080p just fine. The screen size is considerably bigger (20" vs 23") but it depends on your comfort level. Personally, I think a 24" would be perfect for me.
Share
November 28, 2012 2:45:08 AM

The 7870 won't max out any current DirectX 11 games @ 1200p with 4xMSAA and 16xAF at 60FPS more or less constant ultra settings. Just saying.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
November 28, 2012 3:54:48 AM

NV88 said:
The 7870 won't max out any current DirectX 11 games @ 1200p with 4xMSAA and 16xAF at 60FPS more or less constant ultra settings. Just saying.


The OP isn't keen to buy a big monitor. And a 7870 isn't a high end card.
Side note, these are native resolutions based on size: 20" = 900p, 23" = 1080p, 24" = 1200p.
On a 23" monitor a slightly overclocked 7870 should rip through games such as BF3.
m
0
l
December 3, 2012 9:40:34 AM

Wait, is the quality of 900 vs 1080 the same (looks crisp, etc.) ? If so I'd be more inclined to buy the 900 cos i'm pretty comfortable on 20" and it's less gpu-demanding compared to 1080p.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2012 10:52:38 AM

aserate said:
Wait, is the quality of 900 vs 1080 the same (looks crisp, etc.) ? If so I'd be more inclined to buy the 900 cos i'm pretty comfortable on 20" and it's less gpu-demanding compared to 1080p.

1080p looks better than 900p. Is it worth the extra cost of a monitor and gpu? its up to user to decide. The 1080p does require a more powerful gpu in order to achieve 60fps in some games. If 20" is preferred then get it.

Based on comparing 1200p vs 1050p. Most games, if same settings and 7870 but different resolution:
http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/...
1200p=76fps 1050p=82fps Call of Duty at 900p=90fps (guess)
1200p=36fps 1050p=42fps Crysis 2 at 900p=48fps (guess)

7870 is a beast.
m
0
l
December 19, 2012 11:44:35 PM

Best answer selected by aserate.
m
0
l
!