Upgrading current card vs. buying another and using SLI

Here is my situation: A friend of mine is upgrading his GPU soon, and we currently both have the same GTS 450. I am also in need of an upgrade, and he says he'll sell him his old GTS 450 so I could use the two in SLI. He's offering it to me for $30, is that the best option? I don't have a ton of money to spend on a new graphics card, so getting SLI for $30 seems like an amazing deal. Would buying his card and using the two in SLI be a good idea?
9 answers Last reply
More about upgrading current card buying
  1. Well does your motherboard support SLI
  2. Rockdpm said:
    Well does your motherboard support SLI

Also, does your PSU have the "oomph" for SLI?
  3. The $30 is better put towards a new graphics card.... even if you are able to SLI...

but ya. Check your PSU. you'll need another 6 pin plug if you're doing SLI. (since each 450 requires 1 6 pin...)
  4. dscudella said:
    Also, does your PSU have the "oomph" for SLI?

I....was gonna ask that next... :heink: :lol:
  5. Rockdpm said:
    I....was gonna ask that next... :heink: :lol:

lol got your back Rock
  6. As the previous posters have said make sure you have a SLI capable motherboard and powerful enough PSU.

$30 for a GeForce GTS 450 is dirt cheap! I highly recommend that option especially if your on a budget.
  7. dscudella said:
    lol got your back Rock

Get your hands off my fries..You aint my B*** lol jk

You roll with my TOM HW crew now... Big Cyco is one of em
  8. Antec BP550 550w PSU, ASUS M4A88T-M mobo.
  9. Yea sorry champ. you can't do SLI... Its a Single card option for you... Your board doesn't even have a second PCI Express lane... the other long slot you see is a PCI slot.. which GTS 450 doesn't come in
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs SLI Graphics