\\LAPTOP-PC is not accessible

tecnos

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hi,

I have three computers connected up on a wireless network and all works ok apart from one desktop computer refusing to connect to the laptop.

The desktop has Windows 7 Professional installed and the laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium installed. The laptop is connecting to the desktop just fine but when I try to connect from desktop to laptop the following error message appears:

“\\LAPTOP-PC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network address is invalid.”

Strange this is; the other desktop computer which has Windows XP Professional installed will connect to the laptop and vice versa without any problems at all.

I’m confused as to why the Windows XP Professional computer will connect to the laptop but not the Windows 7 Professional computer.

All the computers are logged in as administrator, password protected and available shared folders.

Has anyone got an idea what the problem could be here?

Cheers, Chris

RealBeast

Titan
Take a look in the Network and Sharing control panel on the Win 7 machines and go into the "Change advanced sharing settings." Make sure that all the settings are on for network discovery, sharing, and make your choice as to password or not.

You could also use a Windows 7 homegroup, which can be used with Windows XP.