Your question
Solved

Best Brand of 7870?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 27, 2012 11:50:58 PM

BUDGET RANGE: Free - $250 after rebate

USAGE: Gaming

CURRENT POWER SUPPLY: Thermaltake 750w

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Sabertooth MB, Thor V2 Case, FX-8320 CPU (will be overclocking), 8 gigs of G.Skill RAM

OVERCLOCKING: Definitely

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920X1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Better Warranty is always good, needs to be reliable. I prefer easy to overclock as well.

Thanks Guys!

-Chris N.

More about : brand 7870

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 28, 2012 12:05:53 AM

Each card always performs differently. I have an Asus DirectCUII TOP edition GTX 670 and it's great, as for a 7870, this HAWK edition card from MSI is probably your best bet as it has the built in GPU reactor and power delivery system that was redesigned by MSI on a custom PCB. Plus, it just looks BA. Good luck, here's a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

P.S. Ignore the reviews, my GPU was rated badly on Newegg for some odd reason when I got it, but it has been literally perfect, people just complain because they can :p 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 28, 2012 1:33:05 AM

I have the MSI HAWK 7870, honestly I love the damn thing! The only downside to me is that if you're going to crossfire the HAWK, you most likely need to remove the GPU reactor from the second HAWK if you're going to have them close...

I haven't had any problems(except the mishap with some faulty drivers, 12.8 and 12.9, but since upgrading to the 12.11 the only problem I have had is that flash applications sometimes crash for no reason...).

All 7870's are the same in some sense, I would look for warranty and the best cooling you can find for the best price. The Gigabyte has a bit better warranty than the MSI one, but I've heard that the 3 fan configuration has had some, loud, occurrences.

Sapphire would be the next best brand, in my opinion.
November 28, 2012 1:38:26 AM

Mr_Minecraft said:
BUDGET RANGE: Free - $250 after rebate

USAGE: Gaming

CURRENT POWER SUPPLY: Thermaltake 750w

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Sabertooth MB, Thor V2 Case, FX-8320 CPU (will be overclocking), 8 gigs of G.Skill RAM

OVERCLOCKING: Definitely

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920X1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Better Warranty is always good, needs to be reliable. I prefer easy to overclock as well.

Thanks Guys!

-Chris N.

Ironically, I've been lurking around here for a while, getting a bunch of info on updating my own rig and this is what makes me join.....

Anyways, I just started building my pc about 6 months ago and bought an XFX 6870 Double D, and I only had 1 minor issue, which dealt with registering my card for the warranty, which was resolved in a timely manner (XFX stayed in contact with me in about 4 hour intervals for 2 days), so when I decided I wanted to go with a 7870 just a few days ago I was bummed that newegg was out of stock. I purchased a 7870 hawk monday (newegg right now seems to be really backed up on processing orders - so you may want to keep that in mind) and it still hasn't shipped.

Anyway - I want to put my +1 for XFX as of right now.
m
l
November 28, 2012 1:45:10 AM

I just watched a few videos on the Hawk 7870... It seems SOO bad ass! I am defiantly going with that card!
m
l
November 28, 2012 1:45:33 AM

Best answer selected by Mr_Minecraft.
m
l
November 29, 2012 12:13:23 AM

SCMoney360 said:
Ironically, I've been lurking around here for a while, getting a bunch of info on updating my own rig and this is what makes me join.....

Anyways, I just started building my pc about 6 months ago and bought an XFX 6870 Double D, and I only had 1 minor issue, which dealt with registering my card for the warranty, which was resolved in a timely manner (XFX stayed in contact with me in about 4 hour intervals for 2 days), so when I decided I wanted to go with a 7870 just a few days ago I was bummed that newegg was out of stock. I purchased a 7870 hawk monday (newegg right now seems to be really backed up on processing orders - so you may want to keep that in mind) and it still hasn't shipped.

Anyway - I want to put my +1 for XFX as of right now.

Just a reply to the shipping/processing thing. I ordered all of my components (besides the GPU) on Sunday. The case arrived on Monday and the rest came today (wed).
m
l
November 29, 2012 4:10:39 AM

Mr_Minecraft said:
Just a reply to the shipping/processing thing. I ordered all of my components (besides the GPU) on Sunday. The case arrived on Monday and the rest came today (wed).

It all depends on your location, I know Newegg has warehouse locations in Southern California, New Jersey, and Tennessee. So if you're in the North North/West of U.S.A. then it might take a while. Luckily I live in Southern California myself and the warehouse location for me is about 30 miles, when I order items from Newegg(depending upon time of day) it takes 1 day to ship to me!

Great support and shipping :) 
m
l
!