BF1942 - Connecting Win2000 to XP?

I know I'm probably asking an old question. I want to use all the computers
on my home network to play local multiplayer games with BF1942. Three of
the computers run Win2000 and one is running XP. I could do multiplayer on
the Win2000 machines doing nothing other than connecting them to the switch.
However, I had no luck with my XP machine even after all the messing around
it took to finally get all computers to see each other in network
neighborhood. The XP machine also contains a WIFI card to connect it to the
router and cable modem but is not being used for Internet Connection Sharing
(kid's computers aren't allowed on the internet yet). I've disabled the
software firewalls on each computer including WinXP service pack 2's
firewall but still no luck. Even disabling the WIFI adapater on the XP
machine didn't help.

So what do I need to do to get the XP computer able to join a game hosted by
one of the Win2000 machines? At this point, I have to believe its some
configuration issue with XP since the hardware appears to be good to go,
BF1942 with all patches seems to run fine on each machine, and the Win2000
computers can play together without a problem.

I was just going to put the USB WIFI adapters on the Win2000 computers and
play over the air (don't know how well this works with wifi B) but don't
want to bother with this unless I can make it work first on hard wire.

Any tips on websites with help on local multiplayer set up and configuration
would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

BigSky
8 answers Last reply
More about bf1942 connecting win2000

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:06:03 -0700, "Big Sky" <bmartin84@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >So what do I need to do to get the XP computer able to join a game hosted by
    >one of the Win2000 machines? At this point, I have to believe its some
    >configuration issue with XP since the hardware appears to be good to go,
    >BF1942 with all patches seems to run fine on each machine, and the Win2000
    >computers can play together without a problem.

    Are all the machines in the same workgroup? I am not sure if this
    affects BF, but I have had problems with that in other games in the
    past.

    Yes, all the machines are in the same work group and can see each other.

    > On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:06:03 -0700, "Big Sky" <bmartin84@cox.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >So what do I need to do to get the XP computer able to join a game hosted
    by
    > >one of the Win2000 machines? At this point, I have to believe its some
    > >configuration issue with XP since the hardware appears to be good to go,
    > >BF1942 with all patches seems to run fine on each machine, and the
    Win2000
    > >computers can play together without a problem.
    >
    > Are all the machines in the same workgroup? I am not sure if this
    > affects BF, but I have had problems with that in other games in the
    > past.

    Just my thoughts on this XP problem thingy.
    But can you cannot to other multiplayer games on the internet on that XP
    machine? If not then I think you'r having a bit of a firewall issue going on
    with that XP machine (check if security center is activated if you are
    running service pack 2 on it).
    At least you need to open the ports 14567 for BF1942, 15567 for Bf vietnam
    and 16567 for BF2 or test it with by disabling the firewall (if running).

    Cheers,
    Hydlide

    > So what do I need to do to get the XP computer able to join a game hosted
    > by
    > one of the Win2000 machines? At this point, I have to believe its some
    > configuration issue with XP since the hardware appears to be good to go,
    > BF1942 with all patches seems to run fine on each machine, and the Win2000
    > computers can play together without a problem.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > BigSky

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    I'm only doing multiplayer on my home LAN, no internet stuff. I disabled my
    software firewall on the XP machine as well as the service pack 2 firewall.
    The XP machine is hard wired via a ethernet switch to the 2000 machines as
    well as having a WIFI PCI card to connect to my WIFI router and the
    internet. I even tried disabling my WIFI PCI LAN connection so should've
    only be working on the hardwired LAN. My friends at work have been having
    similar problems getting XP and 2000 machines to communicate and share
    resources.

    BigSky

    "hydlide" <hydlide@evanderheide.demon.nl> wrote in message
    > Just my thoughts on this XP problem thingy.
    > But can you cannot to other multiplayer games on the internet on that XP
    > machine? If not then I think you'r having a bit of a firewall issue going
    on
    > with that XP machine (check if security center is activated if you are
    > running service pack 2 on it).
    > At least you need to open the ports 14567 for BF1942, 15567 for Bf vietnam
    > and 16567 for BF2 or test it with by disabling the firewall (if running).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Hydlide
    >
    > > So what do I need to do to get the XP computer able to join a game
    hosted
    > > by
    > > one of the Win2000 machines? At this point, I have to believe its some
    > > configuration issue with XP since the hardware appears to be good to go,
    > > BF1942 with all patches seems to run fine on each machine, and the
    Win2000
    > > computers can play together without a problem.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > BigSky

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Don't just disable the firewall.

    STOP THE SERVICE.

    It's still doing stuff in the background otherwise. (The service also
    controlls ICS, so your network will be offline while the service is
    stopped.)

    Otherwise, try running the server on the XP box, it's probably newer and
    faster anyway.

    "Big Sky" <bmartin84@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I'm only doing multiplayer on my home LAN, no internet stuff. I disabled
    > my
    > software firewall on the XP machine as well as the service pack 2
    > firewall.
    > The XP machine is hard wired via a ethernet switch to the 2000 machines as
    > well as having a WIFI PCI card to connect to my WIFI router and the
    > internet. I even tried disabling my WIFI PCI LAN connection so should've
    > only be working on the hardwired LAN. My friends at work have been having
    > similar problems getting XP and 2000 machines to communicate and share
    > resources.
    >
    > BigSky
    >
    > "hydlide" <hydlide@evanderheide.demon.nl> wrote in message
    >> Just my thoughts on this XP problem thingy.
    >> But can you cannot to other multiplayer games on the internet on that XP
    >> machine? If not then I think you'r having a bit of a firewall issue going
    > on
    >> with that XP machine (check if security center is activated if you are
    >> running service pack 2 on it).
    >> At least you need to open the ports 14567 for BF1942, 15567 for Bf
    >> vietnam
    >> and 16567 for BF2 or test it with by disabling the firewall (if running).
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Hydlide
    >>
    >> > So what do I need to do to get the XP computer able to join a game
    > hosted
    >> > by
    >> > one of the Win2000 machines? At this point, I have to believe its
    >> > some
    >> > configuration issue with XP since the hardware appears to be good to
    >> > go,
    >> > BF1942 with all patches seems to run fine on each machine, and the
    > Win2000
    >> > computers can play together without a problem.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > BigSky

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    >I know I'm probably asking an old question. I want to use all the
    >computers
    > on my home network to play local multiplayer games with BF1942. Three of
    > the computers run Win2000 and one is running XP. I could do multiplayer
    > on
    > the Win2000 machines doing nothing other than connecting them to the
    > switch.
    > However, I had no luck with my XP machine even after all the messing
    > around
    > it took to finally get all computers to see each other in network
    > neighborhood. The XP machine also contains a WIFI card to connect it to
    > the
    > router and cable modem but is not being used for Internet Connection
    > Sharing
    > (kid's computers aren't allowed on the internet yet). I've disabled the
    > software firewalls on each computer including WinXP service pack 2's
    > firewall but still no luck. Even disabling the WIFI adapater on the XP
    > machine didn't help.
    >
    > So what do I need to do to get the XP computer able to join a game hosted
    > by
    > one of the Win2000 machines? At this point, I have to believe its some
    > configuration issue with XP since the hardware appears to be good to go,
    > BF1942 with all patches seems to run fine on each machine, and the Win2000
    > computers can play together without a problem.
    >
    > I was just going to put the USB WIFI adapters on the Win2000 computers and
    > play over the air (don't know how well this works with wifi B) but don't
    > want to bother with this unless I can make it work first on hard wire.
    >
    > Any tips on websites with help on local multiplayer set up and
    > configuration
    > would be appreciated as well.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > BigSky

    Get rid of internet conenction sharing NOW okay? Uninstall it and
    fergetabudit

    Buy a router do not game over wifi use cables. If you must buy a wireless
    router but whole new kettle of fish there for gaming and security etc.

    Make sure all pcs have same network name

    run IPSEC on network adapter at the kids computers to block everything
    except the local net e.g. 192.168.1.0 that'll keep em off the net but they
    will still have local connectivity. If thats too advanced just buy netnanny
    and RTFM :-)

    Disable XP firewall when you game

    have fun

    JLT2005
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    Well here goes:

    - I disabled Sysgate Firewall. No joy.
    - I disabled Norton AV. No joy.
    - I disabled Windows Firewall. No joy.
    - I stopped the Windows Firewall/ICS service. No joy.
    - I stopped the IPSEC service. No joy.
    - I stopped the Security Center. No joy.

    I was able to successfully ping this XP machine from one of the Win2000
    computers off of the switch. I'm using two different game licenses. I
    ensured both computers have the same mods, patches, updates, etc.

    I'm not giving up but it doesn't look like my son is going to be having his
    LAN party tomorrow. Crud.

    Thanks.

    BigSky

    "JLT2005" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message

    > "Big Sky" <bmartin84@cox.net> wrote in message
    > >I know I'm probably asking an old question. I want to use all the
    > >computers
    > > on my home network to play local multiplayer games with BF1942. Three
    of
    > > the computers run Win2000 and one is running XP. I could do multiplayer
    > > on
    > > the Win2000 machines doing nothing other than connecting them to the
    > > switch.
    > > However, I had no luck with my XP machine even after all the messing
    > > around
    > > it took to finally get all computers to see each other in network
    > > neighborhood. The XP machine also contains a WIFI card to connect it to
    > > the
    > > router and cable modem but is not being used for Internet Connection
    > > Sharing
    > > (kid's computers aren't allowed on the internet yet). I've disabled the
    > > software firewalls on each computer including WinXP service pack 2's
    > > firewall but still no luck. Even disabling the WIFI adapater on the XP
    > > machine didn't help.
    > >
    > > So what do I need to do to get the XP computer able to join a game
    hosted
    > > by
    > > one of the Win2000 machines? At this point, I have to believe its some
    > > configuration issue with XP since the hardware appears to be good to go,
    > > BF1942 with all patches seems to run fine on each machine, and the
    Win2000
    > > computers can play together without a problem.
    > >
    > > I was just going to put the USB WIFI adapters on the Win2000 computers
    and
    > > play over the air (don't know how well this works with wifi B) but don't
    > > want to bother with this unless I can make it work first on hard wire.
    > >
    > > Any tips on websites with help on local multiplayer set up and
    > > configuration
    > > would be appreciated as well.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > BigSky
    > >

    > Get rid of internet conenction sharing NOW okay? Uninstall it and
    > fergetabudit
    >
    > Buy a router do not game over wifi use cables. If you must buy a wireless
    > router but whole new kettle of fish there for gaming and security etc.
    >
    > Make sure all pcs have same network name
    >
    > run IPSEC on network adapter at the kids computers to block everything
    > except the local net e.g. 192.168.1.0 that'll keep em off the net but
    they
    > will still have local connectivity. If thats too advanced just buy
    netnanny
    > and RTFM :-)
    >
    > Disable XP firewall when you game
    >
    > have fun
    >
    > JLT2005

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942 (More info?)

    On 16-7-2005 6:48, Big Sky wrote:
    > Well here goes:
    >
    > - I disabled Sysgate Firewall. No joy.
    > - I disabled Norton AV. No joy.
    > - I disabled Windows Firewall. No joy.
    > - I stopped the Windows Firewall/ICS service. No joy.
    > - I stopped the IPSEC service. No joy.
    > - I stopped the Security Center. No joy.
    >
    > I was able to successfully ping this XP machine from one of the Win2000
    > computers off of the switch. I'm using two different game licenses. I
    > ensured both computers have the same mods, patches, updates, etc.
    >
    > I'm not giving up but it doesn't look like my son is going to be having his
    > LAN party tomorrow. Crud.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > BigSky

    Are you able to ping the Win2K machines from the WinXP machine?

    Do the NIC's used all have the same networksettings (DNS, DHCP, gateway)?

    Have you hosting a game on the WinXP machine and joining with the Win2K
    machines and vice versa?

    Can you join through direct connect to the ip address of the hosting
    machine?

    Are you 200% sure all ingame BF settings are correct - like maybe you
    forgot a PB setting?

    You could try uninstalling the firewall (Sysgate). I sometimes had the
    same problem using ZA. Even when I disabled ZA I couldn't join BF games.
    But after uninstalling it worked just fine - something probably stays
    active, even when disabled.

    --
    Bow before me, for I am root.

Computers Windows XP Video Games