Which is a better buy.

chaoticnemisis

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Hi, this is my first post, so bear with me. I'm currently taught between 2 cards. the choices I have are the XFX HD7870 GHz Edition 2GB, and an EVGA GTX 660 2GB. Games wise I'm currently only able to run 720p (using my tv as a screen), and both can run modern games on max at that resolution no problems.

Here's the thing. At the start of next year I'm going to college for videogame design and developement. I'm wondering which would be better for the rendering process. I also value the PhysX from nVidia quite highly, due to some of the games I want to/will play. I looked at their benchmarks game wise on ANANDTECH and some are better with the GTX, others with the XFX.

I need help. NOTE, they are the same price for me.

chaoticnemisis

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

The programs I will be using are UDK and Unity 3d. The 7870 is a better price, though i'd be getting a Powercolor instead of XFX, though the XFX is used.

I'll also take suggestions, though note my price range including taxes is $260
with little leway. Deals are also fine, so long as they aren't for a case, motherboard or cpu(unless it's an fx-8350)

I also don't want anyone chewing out my cpu choice. I got my amd motherboard, an ASRock Extreme 3 for $60(i got the mail-in rebate back) YAY black friday.

TY for any help in advance.

Radeon 7870 is a Little ahead overall performance wise, I'd say 5-7%, but I can't really assure you how much because of the new drivers both manufactors released not long ago.

There will always be exceptions where Nvidia shines more in some games, compared to AMD. Like Battlefield 3, where GTX 660 even beats a Card it wasn't supposed to, the Radeon 7950. It goes both ways.

If you're really into the Technologies of Nvidia then pick the GTX 660 then that is the way to go.

Either way what Card you pick, both are good deals, you will be happy I assure you.

chaoticnemisis

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for the response. that is what I though the case would be. I will probably go for the ATI just because my board can support CrossFireX, but not SLI. Thanks for the help.

P.S. I like how objective you were, most posts are quite opinionated, which makes it even harder.