Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Under $1000 Gaming PC thoughts?

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 12, 2013 7:01:21 AM

Building a $1000 gaming pc (Australia), this will be my first build. thoughts on this/recommendations? :) 

Xclio Godspeed Advanced Tower - $55
LiteON SATA DVD-RW 24X Black - $19
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 - $53
OCZ ZS 750W 80+ Bronze - $97
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO w Transparent 12cm - $35
Asrock Z77-EXTREME4-M Z77/4 x DDR3/2 x PCI-E3.0/4 x SATA3/4 x USB3.0/H - $114
Intel Core i5 3570K LGA1155 CPU 3.4Ghz 6Mb Cache Ivy Bridge - $232
Gainward GTX660 TI Phantom2G 2D/H/DP - $322
Western Digital 1TB SATA3 HDD 64M Caviar Blue WD10EZEX - $69

Remember these are Australian prices, and the site for all these is: http://www.umart.com.au

Thanks in advance!

More about : 1000 gaming thoughts

a b 4 Gaming
January 12, 2013 7:21:27 AM

That PSU is pretty overkill. I'd suggest stepping down to something like an XFX Proseries 550W. Otherwise, the build looks fine to me.
m
0
l
January 12, 2013 7:57:15 AM

blazorthon said:
That PSU is pretty overkill. I'd suggest stepping down to something like an XFX Proseries 550W. Otherwise, the build looks fine to me.


Thanks for the reply! that psu isn't on the website, so would any 550W be fine? :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
January 12, 2013 7:58:36 AM

Not any 550W. Some of them are junk. does it matter which of the online stores I click on in your link to search the site for a suitable replacement?
m
0
l
January 12, 2013 8:00:21 AM

blazorthon said:
Not any 550W. Some of them are junk. does it matter which of the online stores I click on in your link to search the site for a suitable replacement?


oh, i am currently on the VIC store site, as it is closest to me, could you suggest one on there?
m
0
l
January 12, 2013 8:31:23 AM

blazorthon said:
http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=7

How about that? Antec VP-550. It's not my first choice, but it's decent and the price is better than that OCZ ZS 750W.


looks pretty good, now i might have a few extra dollars here and there to upgrade a thing or two, or do you think that's good as is? maybe a SSD instead of that HDD?
m
0
l
January 12, 2013 8:35:36 AM

The OCZ Z series was a wash basically, with most people complaining about absurd coil whine coming from the unit. Its not worth OCZ imo, I recently acquired a OCZ ZX 850 Gold from them, which died within three days. It was quiet at least though ^.^

I am from Australia, and I've never seen a Z77 Extreme 4 micro ATX for such a high price. Considering the Z77 Extreme4 ATX which supports Xfire/SLI and all those other goodies is like another $30, I would recommend the ATX one (unless of course your case is M-ATX, in which proceed normally)

Good choice of budget air coolers, I would just make sure that the Corsair vengeance ram you chose is low profile, its normal variant blocks the fan a bit.

Don't get a Phantom cooler for your 660ti, its just a fancy reference cooler. It performs terribly, especially in the GTX 670 and GTX 680 variants.

Everything else seems pretty good.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 12, 2013 8:37:25 AM

with a ssd you want two drives. a smallish ssd (120g) to have the os and a few programs on it. with a ssd you want the drive to mostly do the reads doe to the limited number of writes a ssd has. then use the hd as the data drive.
m
0
l
January 12, 2013 8:50:26 AM

JJ1217 said:
The OCZ Z series was a wash basically, with most people complaining about absurd coil whine coming from the unit. Its not worth OCZ imo, I recently acquired a OCZ ZX 850 Gold from them, which died within three days. It was quiet at least though ^.^

I am from Australia, and I've never seen a Z77 Extreme 4 micro ATX for such a high price. Considering the Z77 Extreme4 ATX which supports Xfire/SLI and all those other goodies is like another $30, I would recommend the ATX one (unless of course your case is M-ATX, in which proceed normally)

Good choice of budget air coolers, I would just make sure that the Corsair vengeance ram you chose is low profile, its normal variant blocks the fan a bit.

Don't get a Phantom cooler for your 660ti, its just a fancy reference cooler. It performs terribly, especially in the GTX 670 and GTX 680 variants.

Everything else seems pretty good.


Okay, thank you for the detailed reply! So what motherboard were you recommending? and so you reckon i should get the standard gtx 660 ti or? sorry pretty new to pc tech. :p 
m
0
l
January 12, 2013 9:30:44 AM

JJ1217 said:
A standard Z77 Extreme-4.

I recommend this 660ti if you can get it, its built for overclocking

http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2


That link seems to just lead to the home page, could you just write the full name of it? :) 
m
0
l
January 12, 2013 9:33:09 AM

Just type in 660ti in the search area and look for this one : MSI GTX660TI,2GB,1019MHz, Display Port, HDMI, DVI,
m
0
l
January 12, 2013 9:37:10 AM

JJ1217 said:
Just type in 660ti in the search area and look for this one : MSI GTX660TI,2GB,1019MHz, Display Port, HDMI, DVI,


found it, looks good!
m
0
l
!